Someone from SS should try to get in to the presser

PASabreFan

"Media inquires can be directed to Michael Gilbert at 716-855-4526 or email at Michael.Gilbert@Sabres.com or Ben Bouma at 412-337-2705 or email at icer7@verizon.net."

Hey, aren't we "the media"?

Say we have a few questions our posters have posed. Would be interesting to see what the reply would be. I'd try Ben Bouma.

Probably would have to be a moderator-level person. Anyone local? chz?

Let's see if the new regime's way of dealing with the fans who post, blog, write, own sites, etc. -- is any different than the last.

It's worth a shot.

"Media inquires can be directed to Michael Gilbert at 716-855-4526 or email at Michael.Gilbert@Sabres.com or Ben Bouma at 412-337-2705 or email at icer7@verizon.net."

Hey, aren't we "the media"?

Say we have a few questions our posters have posed. Would be interesting to see what the reply would be. I'd try Ben Bouma.

Probably would have to be a moderator-level person. Anyone local? chz?

Let's see if the new regime's way of dealing with the fans who post, blog, write, own sites, etc. -- is any different than the last.

It's worth a shot.

Posting and blogging/writing and site ownership are very different things. I hope the team issues credentials to legitimate bloggers/writers.

They let Bucky in, so I would imagine it's an open door policy :rolleyes:

I get the humor, but there have to be criteria, one of which is almost certain to be readership. I would imagine that they treat a small-time sports blog hobbyist like they would treat a sportswriter for the West Side Times or some other community weekly: "Thanks, but you're going to have to pay for your game ticket like everyone else." As a practical matter, they can't just give press credentials to anyone with a website, just like they can't just give credentials to anyone with a newsletter, either, right?

I get the humor, but there have to be criteria, one of which is almost certain to be readership. I would imagine that they treat a small-time sports blog hobbyist like they would treat a sportswriter for the West Side Times or some other community weekly: "Thanks, but you're going to have to pay for your game ticket like everyone else." As a practical matter, they can't just give press credentials to anyone with a website, just like they can't just give credentials to anyone with a newsletter, either, right?

Wonder who has more readers every month, SabreSpace or ArtVoice/WNY Hockey Magazine?

Tell me Eddie Kilgore doesn't use his press pass to see games for free? Does he really "cover" the team?

It wouldn't kill the Sabres to have an application process and invite 41 of these hard-working, unpaid (for the most part) fans into the building for one game.

Wonder who has more readers every month, SabreSpace or ArtVoice/WNY Hockey Magazine?

Tell me Eddie Kilgore doesn't use his press pass to see games for free? Does he really "cover" the team?

It wouldn't kill the Sabres to have an application process and invite 41 of these hard-working, unpaid (for the most part) fans into the building for one game.

I read SabreSpace (obviously), but there is no blogging/writing content here. It's a discussion board and a news aggregator. I do read ArtVoice's sports column almost every week. I don't know which has more readers. I suspect ArtVoice. WNY Hockey Magazine is hard to find.

I don't know how many games Kilgore gets to. I suspect not many. He is the sports director at 5, 6 and 11pm on weekdays, so he's probably pretty busy during games. His job isn't to be at the rink. His station has other on-camera personnel who do that.

I'm sure the team has an application process. I'm also sure that you, I, and most others here would be denied. We're not journalists (well, maybe you are and I just don't know it; I am not).

If the team is ignoring electronic media (and I haven't heard that it is), it should stop. A legitimate local internet journalist; i.e., one with a demonstrable readership, and not someone with a bunch of opinions s/he thinks the world needs to see (that's what this board is for!), should get access.

I guess while we may be "the media," because everyone is, we aren't "the press."

EDIT: But by all means, don't let me discourage you. Go for it and report back tomorrow!

Didn't we already have someone from SS in the press box and he got run of the board?

No, Bill wasn't "from SabreSpace." He is (or was, I've kinda lost track) a reporter for the Olean Times Herald who started posting here for whatever reason. I suspect it was to further his own career as one of the last posts he wrote here was a plea for all of us to go read his msg.com blog.

He didn't get run off. He ran off.

No, Bill wasn't "from SabreSpace." He is (or was, I've kinda lost track) a reporter for the Olean Times Herald who started posting here for whatever reason. I suspect it was to further his own career as one of the last posts he wrote here was a plea for all of us to go read his msg.com blog.

He didn't get run off. He ran off.

Thanks for clarifying that, because I really didn't remember him being run off. Maybe Swamp meant someone else?

I read SabreSpace (obviously), but there is no blogging/writing content here. It's a discussion board and a news aggregator. I do read ArtVoice's sports column almost every week. I don't know which has more readers. I suspect ArtVoice. WNY Hockey Magazine is hard to find.

I don't know how many games Kilgore gets to. I suspect not many. He is the sports director at 5, 6 and 11pm on weekdays, so he's probably pretty busy during games. His job isn't to be at the rink. His station has other on-camera personnel who do that.

I'm sure the team has an application process. I'm also sure that you, I, and most others here would be denied. We're not journalists (well, maybe you are and I just don't know it; I am not).

If the team is ignoring electronic media (and I haven't heard that it is), it should stop. A legitimate local internet journalist; i.e., one with a demonstrable readership, and not someone with a bunch of opinions s/he thinks the world needs to see (that's what this board is for!), should get access.

I guess while we may be "the media," because everyone is, we aren't "the press."

EDIT: But by all means, don't let me discourage you. Go for it and report back tomorrow!

There's no writing here?! Hmmm. It's funny how stuff that's written on a message board tends to get looked down upon, while "blogging" has this built-in aura of respectability. If you put the content Ghost, Taro, X. Benedict etc. create (sorry, not trying to diss anyway, those are the names that popped into mind) onto a blog, they'd be world class bloggers.

I'd love to see what folks like you and DeLuca could come up with after a night in the press box/lockerroom.

I'm sure the mainstream working media wouldn't be too thrilled with it.

i wanted to get a couple dudes from here to blog for my site, i think deluca would have been a good one since he tends to point out the negatives while I keep a more optimistic point of view lol. either way that idea got shot down cause i guess the higher ups here considered it advertising or something or other

There's no writing here?! Hmmm. It's funny how stuff that's written on a message board tends to get looked down upon, while "blogging" has this built-in aura of respectability. If you put the content Ghost, Taro, X. Benedict etc. create (sorry, not trying to diss anyway, those are the names that popped into mind) onto a blog, they'd be world class bloggers.

I'd love to see what folks like you and DeLuca could come up with after a night in the press box/lockerroom.

It's possible that the police wouldn't be too thrilled with it!

I know we have some knowledgeable people here who are also very good writers. But that doesn't make 'em professional journalists, PA! That's who the press passes are for.

Thanks for clarifying that, because I really didn't remember him being run off. Maybe Swamp meant someone else?

No, PA's got it right. I was just usin' some hyper-bowl for humor's sake. Bill's incredibly thin skin was pierced by the many barbs here and he took his puck and went home. Most of his posts were just links to his column anyway.

It's possible that the police wouldn't be too thrilled with it!

I know we have some knowledgeable people here who are also very good writers. But that doesn't make 'em professional journalists, PA! That's who the press passes are for.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Of course they're not journalists.

What I'm arguing for is -- call it a "fan pass." Allow these folks to sit at one end of the press box, in a cage if that makes the working press feel better. It's just a bone to throw to some fans who work pretty hard and give the team tons of free publicity.

(And some of them are probably more professional than the pros. Professional is as professional does. In a recent game blog, Mike Harrington passed on a joke John Wawrow of the AP made at the expense of that player who got hit in the midsection by a puck. Think family jewels. Then he had to apologize after news got out the guy ended up in the hospital.)

I've never read an Olean newspaper, did this guy give some good information on the team?

I follow Bill on twitter and also receive his email pieces. He writes good stuff and always seems to have quotes that other outlets don't. Personally, I like his work and I don't understand why he left here.

It's funny you mention that. I often thought there should be a Sabre Space podcast after each game. Having different posters rotate as hosts would be interesting.

It's funny you mention that. I often thought there should be a Sabre Space podcast after each game. Having different posters rotate as hosts would be interesting.

That would be cool. If we can agree to no weapons, I'll co-host with you.

Archived