Playoff contenders

PotentPowerPlay22

I was just looking at the standings and schedules and I think the NJ Devils have a reasonable chance to make the playoffs after a horrible first half of the season. I'm no Devils fan, but they are on fire.

Over their last 18 games they have won 15 and two of their 3 losses have been in OT. Their only regulation time loss was to Detroit.

They are currently 10 pts back of Carolina (8th) with a game in hand. If they get in they could be dangerous. I think they are currently better than Toronto, Atlanta, Florida, Buffalo and Carolina. The only question is will they run out of time?

Here's a more pertinent question for Sabres fans: Would you prefer to see the Sabres get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st round or miss the playoffs and clear out the dead wood on the roster and begin a major re-building?

I personally believe the team is nowhere near a Cup contender and only with a significant roster renovation can they aspire to a championship. I believe missing the playoffs will inspire such a change and would be beneficial to the team long term.

Hopefully, the new owner sees the need for a significant change and agrees that business as usual is not good enough.

I agree, if New jersey get into the playoffs, they have a real chance to win the cup. But only if they will be as red hot as in the last 10 games.

I think Buffalo shpuld try to get into the playoffs.

Because in the post season everything can happen. We would need a boost from nearly every player, and a really big boost (Hasek like) boost from Ryan Miller to be a contender.

But the chance would be there.

So go for the playoffs, get the cup.

LaLaLafontaine

I can understand when people wanted the Bills to bottom out, cuz there was no chance at the playoffs and the value of picks 1-10 is so much greater than the 11-32. But in the NHL making the playoffs is all the chance you need to have a shot at the cup. John Muckler said this in '93 as GM of the sabres, it's not the best team that wins the cup, it's the team that's playing best at the time. The value in draft picks in the NHL is so much different than the NFL, only picks 1-3 have shown the ability to jump right into the NHL right away and make an impact. Other picks are almost always projects that require a year or more of investment.

I too think significant changes need to be made and probably will be made this summer, but that's still no reason given the fact that draft position really isn't that key in the NHL, to make a go of making the playoffs. Again, once you get in there, it's the team that's playing the best at the time that can make all the difference. realistically, we should be aiming for the 7th seed. Tampa Bay doesn't scare me at all in a playoff series. You win one series and you never know what could happen. Gotta get there first.

NJ is playing the way a team fighting for a shot at the playoffs should play, not losing numerous times to teams that are below you in the standings, i.e. Buffalo Sabres. I could never root for a Buffalo team not to do their best, but I think making the playoffs is a double edged sword, if they make it, will fans and management feel content and not make the changes that I think would benefit the team. Then missing the playoffs would suck, but I think it would open the team to making some changes, such as replacing the inept coaching that is employed now. So I guess that I want them to make the playoffs, but I don't want them to. :doh:

Here's a more pertinent question for Sabres fans: Would you prefer to see the Sabres get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st round or miss the playoffs and clear out the dead wood on the roster and begin a major re-building?

I personally believe the team is nowhere near a Cup contender and only with a significant roster renovation can they aspire to a championship. I believe missing the playoffs will inspire such a change and would be beneficial to the team long term.

Hopefully, the new owner sees the need for a significant change and agrees that business as usual is not good enough.

I think that house clearing can/will happen either way.

I agree with Greg. Making it into the playoffs is all you need to be a contender. I would never root for any Buffalo team to not try in hopes of getting a better draft pick. Like Matrix said changes will be made regardless, especially since the Sabres have a new owner.

j

Jersey is playing great now,but they have been playing with no pressure,but think that is about to change. Let's see how they play when they get within 6 points of 8th, see if Kovalchuck reverts back to playoff/early season form when the games mattered. Not saying they will slide back, but want to see how they handle the pressure/expectations of a playoff race.

I could never root for a Buffalo team not to do their best, but I think making the playoffs is a double edged sword, if they make it, will fans and management feel content and not make the changes that I think would benefit the team. Then missing the playoffs would suck, but I think it would open the team to making some changes, such as replacing the inept coaching that is employed now. So I guess that I want them to make the playoffs, but I don't want them to. :doh:

We'll see if TP changes things, but if it were still Larry and Darcy (not sure which one is culpable), it would have taken a big miss for any change to happen. Just missing would have been blamed on Roy's injury or a young defense taking time to gel. Either way, I do hope they go one way or the other hard: lose big and fall, or get in and make a run. Missing by 2-3 points again would be too hard to take.

Good posts above. Hockey is definitely the one sport where lower playoff seeds regularly make it to the finals. Just get in an anything can happen. I think considering the Sabres are right on the edge of a playoff spot and given that each playoff game nets about $1 million, it'd make sense to spend a little cash and take a shot. The conservative "next year" mentality gets old if it's rolled out year after year after year... buying at the deadline also gives a message to the current players that the team is serious about winning, which can't hurt in the grand scheme of things (i.e. re-negotiations, free agency, etc.).

Because in the post season everything can happen.

Again, once you get in there, it's the team that's playing the best at the time that can make all the difference. realistically, we should be aiming for the 7th seed. Tampa Bay doesn't scare me at all in a playoff series. You win one series and you never know what could happen. Gotta get there first.

I agree with Greg. Making it into the playoffs is all you need to be a contender.

Just get in an anything can happen.

As PPP22 posted in his original post, anything can happen but this team is nowehere near capable of making anything happen. If they were to trade away Connolly and bring in a couple of players at the deadline, they may be closer to that type of team but as currently constituted, this team will fail in the playoffs.

As PPP22 posted in his original post, anything can happen but this team is nowehere near capable of making anything happen. If they were to trade away Connolly and bring in a couple of players at the deadline, they may be closer to that type of team but as currently constituted, this team will fail in the playoffs.

I agree . One only has to look at the make up of the Flyers or Bruins teams in the east to see that this weak willed one dimensional and understaffed Buffalo squad would run into a wall most likely in the first round. Heck, they can't even win at home.

I agree . One only has to look at the make up of the Flyers or Bruins teams in the east to see that this weak willed one dimensional and understaffed Buffalo squad would run into a wall most likely in the first round. Heck, they can't even win at home.

It gives me no pleasure to admit that the Sabres are no match for the top contenders. Making the playoffs, if it keeps the team from making major changes, would be regrettable.

Anything can happen if they make the playoffs. I'd give them a 5-10% chance of beating the Flyers. I would prefer they use the current trade deadline to their advantage and clear house and start the re-building now.

It's time to be realistic. This team is not good enough.

Archived