Sabres sign Leggio

spndnchz

per Sabres.com:

Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have signed goaltender David Leggio to an NHL contract. Leggio was previously under contract with the Portland Pirates, Buffalo’s AHL affiliate.

A native of Williamsville, NY, Leggio (5’11”, 180 lbs., 7/31/1984) has a 7-1 record in eight games with Portland this season, posting a 2.71 GAA and .917 save percentage. Leggio is second in the AHL in wins, after starting his Portland career with a six-game winning streak.

Leggio was signed by Portland as a free agent on August 8, after spending last season with TPS Turku in Finland. The 26-year-old Leggio played four years of college hockey with Clarkson University from 2004-08.

Perhaps the best goalie in our system is still In college. Enroth could find himself in Vancouver or Calgary before the season is out.

I'm not sold on Eidsness or Knapp.

Edit: And why would Vancouver want Enroth? They already have a backup at a similar stage in his career in Cory Schneider.

The Sabres signed him for a couple reasons....

1.) Rewarding him for his strong play. The guys has been lights out since the start of the year. He had one bad game in preseason, but he's been a since.

2.) The Sabres want to protect themselves. Because he was signed to AHL contract. Any NHL could have signed him to an NHL contract and Buffalo/Portland would have lost him. So this keeps him in the system and away from teams who might be looking for goalie help for their AHL club/ or depth in the NHL.

Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have signed goaltender David Leggio to an NHL contract. Leggio was previously under contract with the Portland Pirates, Buffalo’s AHL affiliate.

A native of Williamsville, NY, Leggio (6’0”, 180 lbs., 7/31/1984) has a 7-1 record in eight games with Portland this season, posting a 2.71 GAA and .917 save percentage. Leggio is second in the AHL in wins, after starting his Portland career with a six-game winning streak.

Leggio was signed by Portland as a free agent on August 6, after spending last season with TPS Turku in Finland. The 26-year-old Leggio played four years of college hockey with Clarkson University from 2004-08.

The highlighted portion is incorrect.... Semantics maybe. But, the Portland Pirates do not sign their own players. All player contracts are negotiated and signed by the Buffalo Sabres. Even if Dineen signs a player because he's employed by the Sabres... All players are signed by the Sabres.

I'm not sold on Eidsness or Knapp.

Edit: And why would Vancouver want Enroth? They already have a backup at a similar stage in his career in Cory Schneider.

I'm excited to see how knapp develops. His size and quickness are perfect for the new NHL. He's a bit of an unknown because of the goaltending situation in Miami, but remember that post season game last year?

As to Vancouver, I threw them out there because they are a preferred trading partner for Darcy.

I'm excited to see how knapp develops. His size and quickness are perfect for the new NHL. He's a bit of an unknown because of the goaltending situation in Miami, but remember that post season game last year?

I definitely remember his last start in the NCAA tourney last year. :sick:

per Sabres.com:

A native of Williamsville, NY, Leggio (5’11”, 180 lbs., 7/31/1984) has a 7-1 record in eight games with Portland this season, posting a 2.71 GAA and .917 save percentage. Leggio is second in the AHL in wins, after starting his Portland career with a six-game winning streak.

Leggio was signed by Portland as a free agent on August 8, after spending last season with TPS Turku in Finland. The 26-year-old Leggio played four years of college hockey with Clarkson University from 2004-08.

Good signing. So far he's looked very good in the Portland games I've watched.

What about Patty or his play has led you to believe he shouldn't be treated so?

Not I agree with it or not just an observation. Actually much more than an observation. In fact almost damning evidence of this regimes failure to acquire better players and retaining players that are detrimental.

Archived