Center Ice HD?

JCBoston

So I finally bought a nice HDTV and was all excited to watch the game last night on the Center Ice free preview. (I am considering buying the package for the first time this year). And then the game comes on and it's standard def. Blech.

Anyone know how often does Center Ice has games in HD?

So I finally bought a nice HDTV and was all excited to watch the game last night on the Center Ice free preview. (I am considering buying the package for the first time this year). And then the game comes on and it's standard def. Blech.

Anyone know how often does Center Ice has games in HD?

On DirecTV you get BOTH teams feeds. For the first time, last night I watched an MSG Broadcast FROM OTTAWA in HD. I was very pleased. I am out-of-market, and wasn't sure if I'd get MSGHD for road games, but it appears that I will. VERY HAPPY.

I have had dish network for 1.5 years and was on my 2nd season with CI. Because dish is in a dispute with fox, msg, (and disney/abc/espn, which is irrelevant to this thread, but relevant to my point that dish blows), I'm not able to get ANY msg games or fox regional games, which eliminates about 75% of the games available. I called last night to cancel and bought the nhl gamecenter for my computer. There's about a 45 second delay and the video quality is based on my internet speed, at least I get to see all the games on msg. I'll be dumping dish at the first possible moment and getting cable or dtv again and pick up center ice to get my msg hd.

Center Ice is a deal. Go for it. You'll be happy.

I have time warner and it sucks to have CI on there because they only air One game a night in HD, sometimes two if they put a 730 game and a late night game, but its rare. Most of the games i watch are SD. I still buy it because its such a great value, so many great games to watch, and its well worth the month. I just wish there was more HD! It's my 5th year ordering and i couldn't be happier.

On DirecTV you get BOTH teams feeds. For the first time, last night I watched an MSG Broadcast FROM OTTAWA in HD. I was very pleased. I am out-of-market, and wasn't sure if I'd get MSGHD for road games, but it appears that I will. VERY HAPPY.

3rd year on direct tv with Ci only second year with paying for the HD and it's perfect. My only issue was last year when they and VS had a dispute and the first 1/2 of the season I missed all the exclusive VS games.,..

No doubt. Last year we had to watch the opponent's feed to get HD for road games. And it seemed that none of the Canadian teams carried HD on their home feeds. I'm pysched that I don't have to listen to the idiot Boston announcers this season.

I'm on RCN in Boston and last night's game (both feeds) were SD, so it seems like it's up to the local provider. It appears that they will only have one HD game a night... big time letdown there. I might just go with it anyway, it's better than watching any of the other crap that's on TV on a given night.

The cable outlets in the US (RCN included) use the iNDEMAND schedule. If you go to their website, the list for the month shows that there are no MSG-B Sabres games in HD. This is the case for every MSG game except for a single Islanders game near the end of the month. Last year Bettman made a big deal about the fact that MSG HD would be available to Center Ice now that the dispute was over. It seems like crap to me after looking at the schedule for October on their website. It's the same for me on Cable in Canada - 2-4 games a night and no MSG games. DIRECTV looks like the best best for you in the US to see the Sabres on MSG in HD. We with cable continue to get the short end of the stick.

DIRECTV looks like the best best for you in the US to see the Sabres on MSG in HD. We with cable continue to get the short end of the stick.

There's all you need to know. If you're concerned about HD and you're a Sabres fan, DirecTV is your only option. Via cable you'll be lucky to get any Sabres games in HD with the home feed.

I'm out of market too and saw the game on HD (via Directv) I'm not sure if Center Ice is just directv, but not if it may be what your local cable offers.

I watched the Leafs/Habs game last night but only had the SD transmission.

edited: should have read the rest of the thread before responding.

I have had dish network for 1.5 years and was on my 2nd season with CI. Because dish is in a dispute with fox, msg, (and disney/abc/espn, which is irrelevant to this thread, but relevant to my point that dish blows), I'm not able to get ANY msg games or fox regional games, which eliminates about 75% of the games available. I called last night to cancel and bought the nhl gamecenter for my computer. There's about a 45 second delay and the video quality is based on my internet speed, at least I get to see all the games on msg. I'll be dumping dish at the first possible moment and getting cable or dtv again and pick up center ice to get my msg hd.

How is the video quality in Gamecenter Live? I was thinking of getting that myself rather then CI from Dish Network. I have cable internet speed. I've also

heard there will be an app to stream it thru PS3 coming as well.

How is the video quality in Gamecenter Live? I was thinking of getting that myself rather then CI from Dish Network. I have cable internet speed. I've also

heard there will be an app to stream it thru PS3 coming as well.

The video quality depends on your internet connection. I had 1.5 mbps dsl, and it was ok, but i upgraded to 10mbps and its much better. I am thinking its 480p or possibly 720p. I saw Friday's game on there and the quality was pretty decent, much better than the sd signal from the tv. I saw last night's game on the tv and the computer signal is MUCH better. If you can stand the 45 second lag, go for the internet. It's cheaper.

The video quality depends on your internet connection. I had 1.5 mbps dsl, and it was ok, but i upgraded to 10mbps and its much better. I am thinking its 480p or possibly 720p. I saw Friday's game on there and the quality was pretty decent, much better than the sd signal from the tv. I saw last night's game on the tv and the computer signal is MUCH better. If you can stand the 45 second lag, go for the internet. It's cheaper.

Game Center is, in their own words "TV-Quality" which means that it's probably widescreen SD. It's not as good as HD for sure, but it's better than the SD quality.

Days like today are the most frustrating. Only two games on tonight, both at 8pm, and center ice on TW doesnt have either in HD.

Man I must like HD to much as this just amazes me you all do not get HD games and continue to stick with cable or the Dish. You all want my account # to get $100 credit with DTV, send me a PM. I just do not buy that they are more expensive than cable. Last year dipute with VS and MSG affected everybody the same, this is specific to certain carriers it sounds like.

Man I must like HD to much as this just amazes me you all do not get HD games and continue to stick with cable or the Dish. You all want my account # to get $100 credit with DTV, send me a PM. I just do not buy that they are more expensive than cable. Last year dipute with VS and MSG affected everybody the same, this is specific to certain carriers it sounds like.

friends dont let friends do cable or DISH :rolleyes:

There's all you need to know. If you're concerned about HD and you're a Sabres fan, DirecTV is your only option. Via cable you'll be lucky to get any Sabres games in HD with the home feed.

+1. I'll also note that DirecTV, in addition to having EVERY Sabres game in HD, looks like it will have about 80% of all NHL games in HD this year. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost any more than cable.

+1. I'll also note that DirecTV, in addition to having EVERY Sabres game in HD, looks like it will have about 80% of all NHL games in HD this year. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost any more than cable.

Most people will think it costs more but fail to do a side by side comparison of base package against cable base ( not basic cable ). Plus the whole home DVR is beyond anything dish or cable can offer

Corp go for Directv you wont regret it in any way.

Game Center is, in their own words "TV-Quality" which means that it's probably widescreen SD. It's not as good as HD for sure, but it's better than the SD quality.

So last night I pulled up Game Center (sadly I missed the Sabres game and had to watch it on DVR delay) and here's what I noticed.

The highest bitrate available on GameCenter is 3 Mbps. This is extremely low for "HD". In comparison, DirecTV delivers HD content at around 8 Mbps (using h.264, a high-end modern format). Comparing side-by-side the Altitude HD feed for the Flyers/Avs game DirecTV was clearly and unquestionably superior. HOWEVER - GameCenter was far and away better than SD and it was at least widescreen.

I pulled the Sabres game up on GameCenter (this was the archived version mind you) and it was definitely a stretched 4:3 feed. Did they have the 16:9 feed during the game itself?

Archived