Leafs/Sabres game blacked out on NHL Network

wallybarthman

From what I've read, the tape delay of last night's game was blacked out in Rochester/Buffalo. Was this only on Time Warner Cable or was it blacked out on DirecTV/Dish/Verizon?

I've sent an e-mail to the NHL Network seeking an explanation. This game should not have been blacked out since there was no local broadcast for this game.

From what I've read, the tape delay of last night's game was blacked out in Rochester/Buffalo. Was this only on Time Warner Cable or was it blacked out on DirecTV/Dish/Verizon?

I've sent an e-mail to the NHL Network seeking an explanation. This game should not have been blacked out since there was no local broadcast for this game.

The subsequent replays were blacked out as well. Fairly disappointing.

It was blacked out again this morning in Rochester. I don't understand it at all. Why black out the day after?

I have DirecTV and saw the game on NHLN last night around 11pm, so it might have only been blacked-out in the NY area (which still sucks).

this same thing happened when they replayed the Penguins/Red Wings game for me, I live near Pittsburgh... I too thought it was strange since it wasn't on local tv anywhere... apparently there is some strange rule about airing local games on NHL Network in the preseason... I'm glad I get to watch the first three Sabres preseason games tho... so I guess in this instance, it's actually a good thing that I moved away :blink: <_<

I live in Watertown N.Y. area and have dish network and the game was blacked out also. I dont understand the logic because it was a time delayed telecast anyway.

The time delay actually doesn't matter. In my case, the Penguins played a pre-season came that was broadcast locally on the CW. The replay of this game was blacked out the following day on the NHL Network. That's standard protocol - pre-season, regular season, etc.

What I don't understand is why the NHL Network broadcasts are being blacked out locally since there's no local broadcast available. That what isn't right about this situation.

I called Time Warner on Sunday to see why the re-broadcasts of the game were being blacked out and they said it was "problems with the feed from the NHL Network". I contacted NHL Network and the Sabres front office and was told by both that it was being blacked out by Time Warner not the NHL Network.

I called again today (to Time Warner ) and they still maintain that it is not them that is blacking the games out and they gave me a credit for not having access to the 2 NHL Channels for both Sat & Mon .... big deal $1.30 for each day .

It's probably Bettman messing with us for booing him everytime he comes into this area

The time delay actually doesn't matter. In my case, the Penguins played a pre-season came that was broadcast locally on the CW. The replay of this game was blacked out the following day on the NHL Network. That's standard protocol - pre-season, regular season, etc.

What I don't understand is why the NHL Network broadcasts are being blacked out locally since there's no local broadcast available. That what isn't right about this situation.

The broadcast rights for these games belong to the local affiliates. It only airs there if they choose to air it. Home vs. road games isn't an issue. MSG holds the rights to all Sabre games, expect those ones selected ahead of time for national broadcasts.

Archived