[OT] Shooting at City Grill

FogBat

You can't just say that and then not tell us :-P

If you've got a theory then voice it. It can't be any worse than static's kaberle speculation. ;-)

Frankly, the American society has basically abandoned its once-firm foundation in Judeo-Christian principles. Never mind all the rewritten history that claims that our Founding Fathers were "deists". Much of the ideas that they got for putting together this once-great nation was based solely on the Bible, and this is the kind of thing that is "coincidentally" left out of the history books these days. Were it not for integrating these ideas, we wouldn't have such things as the right to private property, the right to defend ourselves by keeping and bearing arms (for law-abiding citizens only), the freedom to speak our minds and the freedom to worship as we choose, and a whole host of other things which we have taken for granted (but which people in other countries could only dream of having). I could go on about this incessantly, but I think that it is important to give this in a nutshell.

Historically speaking, I see nothing more than a repeating of history, given that the same abandonment was what led to the downfall of ancient Israel as was recorded in the Old Testament. So, let this point be made clear. I am not preaching. I am merely stating historical fact - both then and now.

As an aside, I will never forget what happened in the wake of the Virginia Tech massacre. I clearly remember tuning in to hear what Randi Rhodes had to say about it, and her only response was that she wanted to talk about the constitutional ramifications of the tragedy. It was yet another demonstration of someone who completely lacks class, but it didn't surprise me at all considering that this is the kind of rhetoric that comes from the Left. "Let's not mourn the victims and their families. Let's turn this into an opportunity for us to impose our views upon everyone else." :thumbdown:

Frankly, the American society has basically abandoned its once-firm foundation in Judeo-Christian principles. Never mind all the rewritten history that claims that our Founding Fathers were "deists". Much of the ideas that they got for putting together this once-great nation was based solely on the Bible, and this is the kind of thing that is "coincidentally" left out of the history books these days. Were it not for integrating these ideas, we wouldn't have such things as the right to private property, the right to defend ourselves by keeping and bearing arms (for law-abiding citizens only), the freedom to speak our minds and the freedom to worship as we choose, and a whole host of other things which we have taken for granted (but which people in other countries could only dream of having). I could go on about this incessantly, but I think that it is important to give this in a nutshell.

Historically speaking, I see nothing more than a repeating of history, given that the same abandonment was what led to the downfall of ancient Israel as was recorded in the Old Testament. So, let this point be made clear. I am not preaching. I am merely stating historical fact - both then and now.

As an aside, I will never forget what happened in the wake of the Virginia Tech massacre. I clearly remember tuning in to hear what Randi Rhodes had to say about it, and her only response was that she wanted to talk about the constitutional ramifications of the tragedy. It was yet another demonstration of someone who completely lacks class, but it didn't surprise me at all considering that this is the kind of rhetoric that comes from the Left. "Let's not mourn the victims and their families. Let's turn this into an opportunity for us to impose our views upon everyone else." :thumbdown:

What if the shooter was a devout Christian?

What if the shooter was a devout Christian?

I'm betting he's not. But to me that misses the point of the post you're replying to - that there's been a massive shift in America's societal values (maybe everywhere in the world for that matter) and many feel (myself included) that it hasn't been for the positive. Being a father of four little ones, I often reflect on what a big undertaking it is to raise them properly and impart good values, manners, etc. Way too many kids aren't given the love, guidance, you name it that they need and I think our collective culture (reflected in things like someone believing it's ok to empty a full magazine into a crowd over probably some stupid personal argument he had with one or two of them) has suffered as a result.

That's my thought on the matter other than all the zealots on the left & right that use these tragedies to politically grand-stand should have been the ones in the line of fire.

The answer isn't in religion. The answer is the demise of basic human decency. There is a ever growing portion of the population in which life, be it there own or that of others, simply has no value to them. Violence has become a pandemic in this country that continually gets ignored. It's a problem that needs to be addressed on every level. From town and city governments to state and federal. There needs to a return to base principles of democracy. The return to everyone has a voice. Everyone needs to and will be heard. Right now the United States is as far from being a democratic state as it ever has been. This country is transforming into a pure capitalistic stated where the only voices heard are those who control the wealth. This country needs to put aside the sound bite hot topics like abortion, gay rights and illegal aliens and concentrate on those problems that eat away at the core of a once great democracy. The focus needs to turn back to the individual citizen and their humans rights. The right to be provided a quality education, to have quality health care and the right to fell safe in their own home. Until the focus changes we will see the continued escalation of violence as the middle class continues to disappear. Capitalism is a system based on the principle of the haves and have-nots. It is a system that will eventually cause such a great divide in this country that it may very well spell the end.

My father used to say, the only folks out at 2:30a are people who have been drinking, drunks and cops. A volatile cocktail no matter how you parse it.

Sorry to see that the only way Buffalo can make the national news is through disaster or tragedy.

I'm betting he's not. But to me that misses the point of the post you're replying to - that there's been a massive shift in America's societal values (maybe everywhere in the world for that matter) and many feel (myself included) that it hasn't been for the positive. Being a father of four little ones, I often reflect on what a big undertaking it is to raise them properly and impart good values, manners, etc. Way too many kids aren't given the love, guidance, you name it that they need and I think our collective culture (reflected in things like someone believing it's ok to empty a full magazine into a crowd over probably some stupid personal argument he had with one or two of them) has suffered as a result.

That's my thought on the matter other than all the zealots on the left & right that use these tragedies to politically grand-stand should have been the ones in the line of fire.

Why would you bet that?

I too find myself once in a while thinking that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Then I realize it's not the world that's changing, it's me. I didn't give a rat's ass about this stuff when I was 14 or 24. When my dad was my age, it was 1968. 1968. Political assassinations. Riots in the streets. Vietnam. Drugs. Violence. I bet he thought the world was going to hell in a handbasket.

It's all been said, and done, before.

No ones mentioning the gun in this tragedy. Oh thats right,guns don't kill people,people do. On a side note,apparently the guy that was arrested has been let go and no charges have been laid. It seems that video evidence as well as witness discriptions of the crime couldn't place him as the shooter. Good thing that death penalty wasn't enacted as quickly as some would like.

No ones mentioning the gun in this tragedy. Oh thats right,guns don't kill people,people do. On a side note,apparently the guy that was arrested has been let go and no charges have been laid. It seems that video evidence as well as witness discriptions of the crime couldn't place him as the shooter. Good thing that death penalty wasn't enacted as quickly as some would like.

And of course the story about him being released mentioned that his mother already wants to sue the police for the arrest. It also mentions that he was violating his parole by being there, so I can't imagine there being much ground for that case.

O.K. you've got a point there shrader. he's an ex con so lets string him up in the public square. Hell who needs a trial,lets just stone him right now. Chances are if the prosecutors are doing their jobs and he is the perp they will cover all the bases so as not to screw themselves on this one but he may be innocent until proven guilty rather than guilty til proven innocent. How many others at the scene were ex-cons?

Guys, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to close the thread. I made it clear that I did not want this to turn into a political issue at all, and yet some (but not all) of you decided to do some grandstanding. I made it pointedly clear that it was meant for us to keep the victims in our thoughts and prayers and not a place to promote agendas.

Archived