[OT] Shooting at City Grill

FogBat

nothing good happens when you are at a bar at 2:30am...

I'm not so sure I would agree with you on that. This is something that just happened to catch the media's attention given the severity of the crime. Some nights, at 2.30 am in a bar, things can probably be uneventful. That's my perspective.

I feel for the families. It will be interesting to see what comes of any arrests they make. Shootings like this are never just "random". If you're packing, much less unloading, into a crowded socialite bar, you have a reason for it. And the fact that the groom, back in town from out of state, was one of the victims, seems a little suspicious.

I'm not so sure I would agree with you on that. This is something that just happened to catch the media's attention given the severity of the crime. Some nights, at 2.30 am in a bar, things can probably be uneventful. That's my perspective.

"uneventful" does not equal "good".

I woke up this morning and heard about the shooting at the City Grill. Seven shot, four dead, one of the remaining survivors in very critical condition.

We didn't need this on the heels of Flight 3407.

Link

I don't think the two incidents are on the same level.

Not to make light of what happened this morning but it is certainly a more common occurrence than a plane crash. Violence has been a issue that has been ignored time and time again. The only time you hear about it during election time. Not knowing any details of the incident I don't want to comment on how something like this can happen. That said, it doesn't shock me that it did.

IIRC, didn't NYS reinstate the death penalty back in the 90's after Pataki became governor?

NOTE: This is a simple Yes or No answer. I don't want this thread turning political over a totally senseless crime.

IIRC, didn't NYS reinstate the death penalty back in the 90's after Pataki became governor?

NOTE: This is a simple Yes or No answer. I don't want this thread turning political over a totally senseless crime.

No.

Err, should I say, Yes, and then No. It was declared unconstitutional in 2004.

No.

Err, should I say, Yes, and then No. It was declared unconstitutional in 2004.

Thanks for the info.

IOW, whoever the perp was, once he's tried and convicted, will probably get life without the possibility of parole.

I'll do it for you. :thumbsup:

Considering how long the City of Buffalo has been down I would say we have, as a City, held on to our dignity very well. There have been other cities where violence of this level is much more common. I say this separate from the incident this morning. I still have not heard the details. There is a strong possibility that violence of this level can become more common place unless the politico machine that runs WNY is stopped. The self involved obstructionist needed to stripped of their power. It's time to allow growth and progress in the City of Buffalo.

I'll do it for you. :thumbsup:

Considering how long the City of Buffalo has been down I would say we have, as a City, held on to our dignity very well. There have been other cities where violence of this level is much more common. I say this separate from the incident this morning. I still have not heard the details. There is a strong possibility that violence of this level can become more common place unless the politico machine that runs WNY is stopped. The self involved obstructionist needed to stripped of their power. It's time to allow growth and progress in the City of Buffalo.

The problem is that the only way to fix buffalo would be a hostile takeover of city hall and the subsequent liquidation of all buffalo policy makers. The only way to fix buffalo is with honest, hardworking city leaders. And we all know that is almost impossible to find.

I am only going to say this once: keep the politics out of this thread or I'm shutting it down. I'm seeing it all over the place, and not just on this thread. People are using this tragedy as a means to make political hay on places like CNN and Yahoo!. Personally, I feel that it is extremely bad form to use these shootings as a means to spout off stuff politically (and most of you know that I can be very passionate about politics).

So, we either talk ONLY what happened and what's been done, or that's the end of it.

I am only going to say this once: keep the politics out of this thread or I'm shutting it down. I'm seeing it all over the place, and not just on this thread. People are using this tragedy as a means to make political hay on places like CNN and Yahoo!. Personally, I feel that it is extremely bad form to use these shootings as a means to spout off stuff politically (and most of you know that I can be very passionate about politics).

So, we either talk ONLY what happened and what's been done, or that's the end of it.

How very closed minded of you. Not unexpected. :thumbdown:

How very closed minded of you. Not unexpected. :thumbdown:

Say what you will about it, but this isn't your normal hockey thread where everyone goes off on a different tangent.

I don't think that the day's events and what happened at the City Grill is an appropriate place to start talking about what's wrong with Buffalo politics. If I let this run wild, everyone's going to be talking about it for days on end just to vent.

If anything, the least we can do is to remember those victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers and leave the politics out of it. Fair enough?

Say what you will about it, but this isn't your normal hockey thread where everyone goes off on a different tangent.

I don't think that the day's events and what happened at the City Grill is an appropriate place to start talking about what's wrong with Buffalo politics. If I let this run wild, everyone's going to be talking about it for days on end just to vent.

If anything, the least we can do is to remember those victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers and leave the politics out of it. Fair enough?

Not at all. You are making the assumption that all the victims are innocent bystanders. They may have been, I don't know. To try to narrow down the conversation is disrespectful to the victims. There is a gun crime issue in this country that needs to be discussed. I have been on this board for a long time. The members are more than capable to discuss this type topic. They arrested a suspect one block over from my house. So it hits close to home. I would like to hear some of the comments, unrestricted, of the members of this board.

Not at all. You are making the assumption that all the victims are innocent bystanders. They may have been, I don't know. To try to narrow down the conversation is disrespectful to the victims. There is a gun crime issue in this country that needs to be discussed. I have been on this board for a long time. The members are more than capable to discuss this type topic. They arrested a suspect one block over from my house. So it hits close to home. I would like to hear some of the comments, unrestricted, of the members of this board.

I'm sorry that it hit close to home for you. It also hits close to home for those who have moved out of the area. I still have relatives that live around there, so I'm sure that they're impacted by this as much as the rest of us are.

I'm in agreement with you on this deluca. Politics and society are very much entangled and problems with each have consequential effects on the other. If we want to talk about this shooting we cannot simply ignore the contributing causes. We can't relegate these topics to something that is off limits unless it's time for a new president. We need to discuss it whenever the chance arrives so that it isn't ignored.

This reminds me of what happened back in January when I was living in Appomattox, VA. Some dude went completely nuts over there and killed 8 people. Mind you, I was out of town when this happened. Yet, I was worried about my wife because I wasn't there to protect her.

I'm in agreement with you on this deluca. Politics and society are very much entangled and problems with each have consequential effects on the other. If we want to talk about this shooting we cannot simply ignore the contributing causes. We can't relegate these topics to something that is off limits unless it's time for a new president. We need to discuss it whenever the chance arrives so that it isn't ignored.

You don't want me to answer this one. I know what the root cause is, but no one would either believe me or they would think I'm completely off my rocker.

You don't want me to answer this one. I know what the root cause is, but no one would either believe me or they would think I'm completely off my rocker.

You can't just say that and then not tell us :-P

If you've got a theory then voice it. It can't be any worse than static's kaberle speculation. ;-)

Archived