What if Darcy said this?

Claude_Verret

Awesome, another person OK with not winning the Stanley Cup. Cha CHING!

Shut up turd!! We're all Sabres fans here. We all want a cup. HOW HOW HOW HOW Do we get a cup is the question!!!!! Negitivity never wins!! WAKE UP BUFFALO!!! Study the league, its players, the MONEY!!!! Come back with a contribution thats smart, that could become rumor, that could become reality!!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!

Shut up turd!! We're all Sabres fans here. We all want a cup. HOW HOW HOW HOW Do we get a cup is the question!!!!! Negitivity never wins!! WAKE UP BUFFALO!!! Study the league, its players, the MONEY!!!! Come back with a contribution thats smart, that could become rumor, that could become reality!!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!

I understood the turd part, but you lost me after that. The next time it's after 2 in the morning, you might want to consider waiting until the morning to post.

Awesome, another person OK with not winning the Stanley Cup. Cha CHING!

This is what really p***es me off. Anyone who recognizes the successes of the team is alright with not winning the Cup! We all want to win the Cup but to write post after post of how bad things are when they just came off a division win is sad actually.

This is what really p***es me off. Anyone who recognizes the successes of the team is alright with not winning the Cup! We all want to win the Cup but to write post after post of how bad things are when they just came off a division win is sad actually.

I agree, but don't you think that Darcy's job right now is to use last year's success and build off of it? Do you really think that he has done enough this off season for the Sabres to go further next season? I don't, and he himself has said that it is unlikely something else will happen. I hope that is just posturing but history has shown that it probably is the truth.

I just don't want to see another world class goalie leave and go win a Cup for another GM who is willing to put the right pieces in front of him. Haven't we seen that enough?

It was a statement indicating that those that have waited that long and have remained loyal to the team have more invested in the team then younger fans over the course of time.

No offense taken, but I have waited 40 years for a Cup series victory in Buffalo, I'm a fan.

And if you took the time to note what I posted, I also stated I did not know that persons age, but as for us older fans who have been in it from the teams inception into the league, it would mean alot to us.

There is no "I'm a better fan than you are thing that you see with just about every fanbase" mentality in my statement, nor should it have even of been construed in that fashion.

It was the line where you said "but if you lived all 40 years of it the way other fans have, you wouldn't think the way you do". That and the bolded line above are the kind of things that bug me when anyone says them (I'm not trying to make this about you). It may not be what you're going for, but there is a definite sense of entitlement among older fans (and by older, I don't necessarily mean by age) within the sports world. Just look at the typical reaction you see most of the time when any southern market is discussed. They're looked down at as lesser fans most of the time just because the game hasn't been there as long. That is a complete joke.

I think it's ridiculous to say that the team means more to someone or that they have more invested just because they've been following that team longer than someone else. How can you possibly quantify that? Sure, a win would mean a lot to that 40 year fan, but there are plenty of 20 year fans or 5 year fans who it would mean just as much to.

I agree, but don't you think that Darcy's job right now is to use last year's success and build off of it? Do you really think that he has done enough this off season for the Sabres to go further next season? I don't, and he himself has said that it is unlikely something else will happen. I hope that is just posturing but history has shown that it probably is the truth.

I just don't want to see another world class goalie leave and go win a Cup for another GM who is willing to put the right pieces in front of him. Haven't we seen that enough?

I agree completely. It is his job to improve this team and I am disappointed he has not done more although I still believe there will be at least one if not two more moves.

What I am complaining about, however, is the constant implication that because I look back at last year as a success that somehow I am enabling the status quo.

I agree completely. It is his job to improve this team and I am disappointed he has not done more although I still believe there will be at least one if not two more moves.

What I am complaining about, however, is the constant implication that because I look back at last year as a success that somehow I am enabling the status quo.

How has it been implied that you enable the status quo. Just asking. Is it thru ticket or product purchase?

It was the line where you said "but if you lived all 40 years of it the way other fans have, you wouldn't think the way you do". That and the bolded line above are the kind of things that bug me when anyone says them (I'm not trying to make this about you). It may not be what you're going for, but there is a definite sense of entitlement among older fans (and by older, I don't necessarily mean by age) within the sports world. Just look at the typical reaction you see most of the time when any southern market is discussed. They're looked down at as lesser fans most of the time just because the game hasn't been there as long. That is a complete joke.

I think it's ridiculous to say that the team means more to someone or that they have more invested just because they've been following that team longer than someone else. How can you possibly quantify that? Sure, a win would mean a lot to that 40 year fan, but there are plenty of 20 year fans or 5 year fans who it would mean just as much to.

I think your reading way too much into this shrader.

My feelings and opinion on the subject are posted, your rebuttal is noted.

I'm not really reading into you anymore, just branching out on things said by the typical sports fan.

I'm offender by your "typical sports fan" statement. No way would a typical sports fan be on a hockey site all the time spouting off theories and possibilities.

I agree. I myself am only 20 years old, and admittedly throughout most of the 90's I didn't even follow hockey. I went to a game with my dad around '96 or '97 and gained some interest, and I was awake for Brett Hull's skate-in-the-crease controversy in '99, but even then I can't say I understood the game that well (I was only 9 and never played on a team). It was probably the 2000-2001 season that I started watching every game, and it was 05/06 that I was old enough to really understand the game and gain a knowledge of teams outside of Buffalo. So you could qualify me as about a 10 year fan, but I'll tell you right now that I let out every tear I could cry when Carolina beat us in Game 7. I was involved in the biggest pile-on in a 20'x20' apartment ever when Drury scored to tie it in Game 5 against NYR. And now I'm part of the best Sabres community on the internet -- I think we can all agree anyone willing to come on here and debate with each other every day qualifies as above-average fans.

I guess the point is, sure I wasn't there for the French Connection, didn't get to see much of Lafontaine and Mogilny, Hasek was my favorite player but I only really watched him play after the memorable finals run. One of my earliest actual memories of Hasek is Darius Kasparitus' shot from just inside in the blue line beating him glove-side in overtime in Game 7 against Pittsburgh, after Buffalo blew a 3-1 series lead. But that doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who's watched since the beginning. I'm in love with this team and this sport, and will support them until the end, as bitter as that may be year after year.

I agree. I myself am only 20 years old, and admittedly throughout most of the 90's I didn't even follow hockey. I went to a game with my dad around '96 or '97 and gained some interest, and I was awake for Brett Hull's skate-in-the-crease controversy in '99, but even then I can't say I understood the game that well (I was only 9 and never played on a team). It was probably the 2000-2001 season that I started watching every game, and it was 05/06 that I was old enough to really understand the game and gain a knowledge of teams outside of Buffalo. So you could qualify me as about a 10 year fan, but I'll tell you right now that I let out every tear I could cry when Carolina beat us in Game 7. I was involved in the biggest pile-on in a 20'x20' apartment ever when Drury scored to tie it in Game 5 against NYR. And now I'm part of the best Sabres community on the internet -- I think we can all agree anyone willing to come on here and debate with each other every day qualifies as above-average fans.

I guess the point is, sure I wasn't there for the French Connection, didn't get to see much of Lafontaine and Mogilny, Hasek was my favorite player but I only really watched him play after the memorable finals run. One of my earliest actual memories of Hasek is Darius Kasparitus' shot from just inside in the blue line beating him glove-side in overtime in Game 7 against Pittsburgh, after Buffalo blew a 3-1 series lead. But that doesn't make me less of a fan than someone who's watched since the beginning. I'm in love with this team and this sport, and will support them until the end, as bitter as that may be year after year.

The issue isn't whether or not a fan is more of a fan due to thier age, or whether or not they followed the team from 70 on. The foundation of the statement lay in what it was answering. Someone had posted on whether or not you'd take a Cup over 20 years of a team that was not competitive. I responded and stated fans that are older would take the Cup becuase we have already waited 40 years. Due to the 40 year wait by some of the fan base, they would be more apt to answer they would take the cup simply because of the time it took to get it. I used a poor communicaiton to that affect and now shrader is riding me for it, no biggie.

shrader just didn't like the way I put it verbally is all, and as I indicated, it was noted.

The issue isn't whether or not a fan is more of a fan due to thier age, or whether or not they followed the team from 70 on. The foundation of the statement lay in what it was answering. Someone had posted on whether or not you'd take a Cup over 20 years of a team that was not competitive. I responded and stated fans that are older would take the Cup becuase we have already waited 40 years. Due to the 40 year wait by some of the fan base, they would be more apt to answer they would take the cup simply because of the time it took to get it. I used a poor communicaiton to that affect and now shrader is riding me for it, no biggie.

shrader just didn't like the way I put it verbally is all, and as I indicated, it was noted.

Oh, I see. Honestly I didn't even read the original conversation, I just saw what shrader posted in response and felt the need to express my agreement. No worries!

I love when that scenario comes up. Everyone says they'd take the cup, but we all know they'd be whining endlessly after about 5 of those years of the follow up of bottom feeding. Sports are always all about "what have you done for me lately".

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!

Read the post I was replying to, you ###### moron. What are you, five?

No, what's sad is the number of fans who accept mediocre as a benchmark for success.

The truth can be sad sometimes. Are the Sabres with Miller any different from the Cavs with Lebron James last season? With James gone do not the faults of the Cavs shine brightly? Like James, Miller has covered up a great deal. If Miller goes out for the season are the Sabres not a lottery team?

The truth can be sad sometimes. Are the Sabres with Miller any different from the Cavs with Lebron James last season? With James gone do not the faults of the Cavs shine brightly? Like James, Miller has covered up a great deal. If Miller goes out for the season are the Sabres not a lottery team?

i dont know about lottery team, but they would probly get worse.

I caught a segment on WGR where Jeremy was pontificating this very subject. I honestly have a hard time quantifying last season a success. I don't think they were much better than the previous year. Their main competition all had bad regular seasons. Watching their games was nearly dreadful. They sleptwalked through most of the year and continued that right into the post season.

Only if they plan on playing without a goaltender. The reason the analogy doesn't work is that the difference between Lebron and anyone they can bring in is enormous while replacing Miller wouldn't be nearly as difficult.

Archived