Do you need to believe in what you are doing to be successful?

deluca67

We all have different ideas of what the Sabres need and what the Sabres should do. I think all link to Lindy's saying of "playing out of character." I think everyone agrees that the Sabres need to go into this off-season and possibly hit the free agent market and trade away some of their own players. Can Regier succeed in markets that he has basically shunned in recent years. Can he step away from "building from within" meaning stepping away from his core beliefs and truly be successful?

This is not meant as a shot at Regier. So please ignore who started the thread. I just would like to know, no matter what level of changes you think need to be made. Can Regier step outside of his comfort zone and successfully complete the changes you feel are needed?

I really believe Regier has come to a crossroads in his career. It's either put up or shut up time. He has done absolutely nothing to improve this team (I mean really improve this team-not simply tinker) in recent years. I don't see him being able to step out of his comfort zone and have lost all confidence in his ability to do so. I mean really, what history can we go on where we can say he's done it before? There is none. There are instances of him giving up 2nd rounders for guys past their prime or on the downward slope but has he ever gone out, moved signifigant players and brought in players considered in the prime of their careers. When has he made a multi player deal where the people in hockey circles said now the Sabres are to be considered a true contender? This will be Regiers last year in Buffalo and I'm not really sure he lasts the year. Just my opinion but we need a g.m. who will take a few chances, not tinker.

I really believe Regier has come to a crossroads in his career. It's either put up or shut up time. He has done absolutely nothing to improve this team (I mean really improve this team-not simply tinker) in recent years. I don't see him being able to step out of his comfort zone and have lost all confidence in his ability to do so. I mean really, what history can we go on where we can say he's done it before? There is none. There are instances of him giving up 2nd rounders for guys past their prime or on the downward slope but has he ever gone out, moved signifigant players and brought in players considered in the prime of their careers. When has he made a multi player deal where the people in hockey circles said now the Sabres are to be considered a true contender? This will be Regiers last year in Buffalo and I'm not really sure he lasts the year. Just my opinion but we need a g.m. who will take a few chances, not tinker.

What about his acquisition of Briere and Drury? And I don't blame their leaving on Darcy, but on Quinn.

When Regier aquired Briere he was a player every other team passed on then developed into a star.He was'nt considered a superstar at the time. I'll give him kudos on the Drury deal but in 12 years time he has'nt done squat when it comes to making what I would consider big deals that make the sabres a legitimate contender. What has he done in the last 5 years other than tinker? Holmgren has done more in 2 years than Regier has done in 4 or 5 years except sit on his hands and wait. He's done a pretty good job drafting but when it comes to going for the throat he just does'nt have that in him.

Looking at the first round draft picks this team has made since 1997 and then looking at the current roster its clear that building from within has not achieved this team the kind of success that this city so desperately wants. It is my opinion that this team can be competitive in 2-3 years if the following is done. The front office accepts defeat. Trade TC, GOOSE, HECHT, STAFFORD....all for DRAFT PICKS. Looking at this season as a parcel rebuilding year. Reiger doing the right thing and saying sorry by accepting his methods over the years have been flawed. Let LYD and Tally go. Bring up Weber and Gran. Accept that they probobly wont be that good this year but in two, three years, with the help of some decent young draft picks (picked by a new gm), a nice core of young guys on the verge of making money (ellis, kennedy, myers) and by then your veteran paid players (Van, Pom, Roy, and Miller) This team will have a nice balance and be able to make a real run.

If Regier try's to do too much this offseason and overpays for free agents, forces trades to happen involving the players we want moved, he's gonna find himself getting the short end of the stick because he's not gonna get the trade his wants (Staf for Kaberle, TC for Horton), he's gonna have to add more cream on our side (Staf and 2nd round for Kaberle, or TC and Gerbe/Kennedy for Horton...ect) and at the end of the day we're gonna spend to much for lackluster players and not have the dollars to sign up the essential peices we need moving forward into the future. And it's not like we have a whole big list of players that need to be extended for the long haul, Myers, hopefully Ennis and maybe another or two.

With our trade chips looking weak, the free agency pool looking weak, Regier and Ruff's last (likely) year here. I just hope this team doesnt collapse from trying to do too much. I think draft picks are the way to go, so we can really hit this thing hard in 2-3 years.

Looking at the first round draft picks this team has made since 1997 and then looking at the current roster its clear that building from within has not achieved this team the kind of success that this city so desperately wants. It is my opinion that this team can be competitive in 2-3 years if the following is done. The front office accepts defeat. Trade TC, GOOSE, HECHT, STAFFORD....all for DRAFT PICKS. Looking at this season as a parcel rebuilding year. Reiger doing the right thing and saying sorry by accepting his methods over the years have been flawed. Let LYD and Tally go. Bring up Weber and Gran. Accept that they probobly wont be that good this year but in two, three years, with the help of some decent young draft picks (picked by a new gm), a nice core of young guys on the verge of making money (ellis, kennedy, myers) and by then your veteran paid players (Van, Pom, Roy, and Miller) This team will have a nice balance and be able to make a real run.

If Regier try's to do too much this offseason and overpays for free agents, forces trades to happen involving the players we want moved, he's gonna find himself getting the short end of the stick because he's not gonna get the trade his wants (Staf for Kaberle, TC for Horton), he's gonna have to add more cream on our side (Staf and 2nd round for Kaberle, or TC and Gerbe/Kennedy for Horton...ect) and at the end of the day we're gonna spend to much for lackluster players and not have the dollars to sign up the essential peices we need moving forward into the future. And it's not like we have a whole big list of players that need to be extended for the long haul, Myers, hopefully Ennis and maybe another or two.

With our trade chips looking weak, the free agency pool looking weak, Regier and Ruff's last (likely) year here. I just hope this team doesnt collapse from trying to do too much. I think draft picks are the way to go, so we can really hit this thing hard in 2-3 years.

So you want to tear apart a team that won the division and finished 11th overall?

We all have different ideas of what the Sabres need and what the Sabres should do. I think all link to Lindy's saying of "playing out of character." I think everyone agrees that the Sabres need to go into this off-season and possibly hit the free agent market and trade away some of their own players. Can Regier succeed in markets that he has basically shunned in recent years. Can he step away from "building from within" meaning stepping away from his core beliefs and truly be successful?

This is not meant as a shot at Regier. So please ignore who started the thread. I just would like to know, no matter what level of changes you think need to be made. Can Regier step outside of his comfort zone and successfully complete the changes you feel are needed?

If by "stepping away" you mean blow up the team and start over, then he's not going to "step away" from "build from within." That's who he is. A more realistic question would be whether he is prepared to pay inflated salaries in FA and/or part with homegrown assets in trade for players who will fill identified needs that the team has -- ie as a supplement to, but not a replacement for, building from within.

I think DR has accepted the need to supplement his homegrown guys with some outside talent. Will he get the job done? He's done so in the past with a pretty strong record of success. We'll see what happens over the next 2-3 weeks.

There is NFW that DR will get canned during the year. I will also predict that if the Sabres win a round in the playoffs next year, DR will be back the following year.

When Regier aquired Briere he was a player every other team passed on then developed into a star.He was'nt considered a superstar at the time. I'll give him kudos on the Drury deal but in 12 years time he has'nt done squat when it comes to making what I would consider big deals that make the sabres a legitimate contender. What has he done in the last 5 years other than tinker? Holmgren has done more in 2 years than Regier has done in 4 or 5 years except sit on his hands and wait. He's done a pretty good job drafting but when it comes to going for the throat he just does'nt have that in him.

Holmgren had no choice. The Flyers hit rock bottom and needed to be rebuilt (they dropped from 101 pts in '05-'06 to 56 pts in '06-'07). I will agree that Holmgren has done a good job of rebuilding -- although we probably wouldn't be saying so if they hadn't won a shootout in the last game of the regular season this year.

Welcome to the board. I disagree with almost all of your first post, but keep them coming.

FWIW, I'm on board with trading TC and Stafford, but not for draft picks, and I'm not interested in waiting 2-3 years for a rebuild of a 100-point division winner that was top 4 in goals against and top 10 in scoring. Also, as noted above, if the Sabres win a round in the playoffs next year, this won't be DR's or Lindy's last season here.

Nfreeman, I'm not talking about blowing this team up or a complete rebuild. I'm simply talking about bringing in the right mix of players to turn this team into a 'legitimate' contender. And of course getting rid of a few of his pet projects. Regiers sold the fans of Buffalo on the belief that this team is good enough to compete with the powerhouses of this league and it appears the faithful have willingly drank the koolaid. Last seasons playoffs proved beyond a shadow of a doubt this teams makeup suck$. I don't believe he can bring in true star talent that will take this team to the next level. He'll bring in the 2nd tier players that the contenders pass on. He always has. He'll do it on the cheap and sell this teams fan base once again for another one and out of the playoffs. If we're lucky.

FWIW, I'm on board with trading TC and Stafford, but not for draft picks, and I'm not interested in waiting 2-3 years for a rebuild of a 100-point division winner that was top 4 in goals against and top 10 in scoring. Also, as noted above, if the Sabres win a round in the playoffs next year, this won't be DR's or Lindy's last season here.

And trading for nothing but draft picks isn't going to lead to a strong team in two years. At best, after that time frame, those picks are just breaking into the system after 2-3 years. That plan might lead a strong team about 5 years down the road, but definitely not 2-3.

If by "stepping away" you mean blow up the team and start over, then he's not going to "step away" from "build from within." That's who he is. A more realistic question would be whether he is prepared to pay inflated salaries in FA and/or part with homegrown assets in trade for players who will fill identified needs that the team has -- ie as a supplement to, but not a replacement for, building from within.

I think DR has accepted the need to supplement his homegrown guys with some outside talent. Will he get the job done? He's done so in the past with a pretty strong record of success. We'll see what happens over the next 2-3 weeks.

We will see what Regier has "accepted." I get the feeling is that his thoughts are similar to yours in the paragraph above. I think it will be difficult for Regier to get past "inflated salaries" and "parting with homegrown assets." Which was the point of the question. Deep inside you know Regier hates the idea of signing a big time free agent and it's been seven years since he has traded away a part of his core roster without be forced into it (Campbell). Fans are looking for Regier to accomplish both in one off-season. I just am wondering if his heart will be in it.

Nfreeman, I'm not talking about blowing this team up or a complete rebuild. I'm simply talking about bringing in the right mix of players to turn this team into a 'legitimate' contender. And of course getting rid of a few of his pet projects. Regiers sold the fans of Buffalo on the belief that this team is good enough to compete with the powerhouses of this league and it appears the faithful have willingly drank the koolaid. Last seasons playoffs proved beyond a shadow of a doubt this teams makeup suck$. I don't believe he can bring in true star talent that will take this team to the next level. He'll bring in the 2nd tier players that the contenders pass on. He always has. He'll do it on the cheap and sell this teams fan base once again for another one and out of the playoffs. If we're lucky.

First, I don't agree that the team's makeup sucks. I think they are a couple of good players away from being a true contender. (For example, if they had a forward who produced in the playoffs like, say, Briere -- this would've made a huge difference.) I agree that bringing in the guys they need will require DR to trade homegrown assets.

Second, I don't remember whether you're one of the posters who's been demanding that DR bring in Malkin, Staal or other NHL stars that quite obviously are not going to be available. Assuming you aren't, that means you understand that there is a pretty small pool of "star" players who are going to be available this summer. For UFAs (like Marleau and Kovalchuk), those players have to be willing to come to Buffalo, and very few are interested in doing so. For star players under contract, many of these have NTCs, and very few will waive a NTC to come to Buffalo.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there are very few star players who are actually available and whom the Sabres have a realistic chance at.

Who you think the Sabres should go after?

You know ,I really hope he proves me wrong. If he does I'll be the first to admit it. He needs the fans of this team to hold his feet to the fire. 12 years people. How many more chances does he get with your team?

2 things I really object to:

1. being addressed as "people."

2. pretending that nothing out of the ordinary has happened during DR's 12-year tenure -- i.e. pretending he's had free rein over this team for 12 years without having to deal with major external forces that have handicapped his ability to do his job.

We will see what Regier has "accepted." I get the feeling is that his thoughts are similar to yours in the paragraph above. I think it will be difficult for Regier to get past "inflated salaries" and "parting with homegrown assets." Which was the point of the question. Deep inside you know Regier hates the idea of signing a big time free agent and it's been seven years since he has traded away a part of his core roster without be forced into it (Campbell). Fans are looking for Regier to accomplish both in one off-season. I just am wondering if his heart will be in it.

I agree these will be difficult and that he doesn't like overpaying for free agents. But those are just factors in the overall goal, which is building a team that is a consistent contender. I think he hates losing more than paying for FAs or parting with homegrown assets, and ultimately this will be the driver in his decision-making process.

Tell me this. Why do the stars of this league not want to come to Buffalo? I'll give you my idea on this,they don't see this team as being serious about going after the cup. Buffalo always goes after the castoffs. This is a trend in the Regier era(s) that has'nt gone un-noticed by people involved in the game. Treading water is tiresome and does'nt really accomplish much but keep your head just above the surface. No one wants to tread water. I'm not into doing the fantasy trade game on this board because it accomplishes little and nothing comes to fruition in regards to the wanna be g.m.s trades. We do need a legitimate #1 center and a powerplay quarterback. And toughness throughout the lineup. Thats a start.

Listen 'people', you can go on for another 12 years being Regier apologists but I have a different opinion than you on his ability to do the job. He's had 12 years to do a job(winning the cup) and he's failed at that ultimate goal. Oh and nfreeman, I was talking to the board in general,not you personally.

Tell me this. Why do the stars of this league not want to come to Buffalo? I'll give you my idea on this,they don't see this team as being serious about going after the cup. Buffalo always goes after the castoffs. This is a trend in the Regier era(s) that has'nt gone un-noticed by people involved in the game. Treading water is tiresome and does'nt really accomplish much but keep your head just above the surface. No one wants to tread water. I'm not into doing the fantasy trade game on this board because it accomplishes little and nothing comes to fruition in regards to the wanna be g.m.s trades. We do need a legitimate #1 center and a powerplay quarterback. And toughness throughout the lineup. Thats a start.

Listen 'people', you can go on for another 12 years being Regier apologists but I have a different opinion than you on his ability to do the job. He's had 12 years to do a job(winning the cup) and he's failed at that ultimate goal. Oh and nfreeman, I was talking to the board in general,not you personally.

NHL stars don't want to come to Buffalo for the same reason very few people (not just athletes), if given the ability to make millions of dollars in a city of his/her choice, would choose Buffalo over NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Washington, Tampa etc.

As for a #1 center, a PP QB and more guts generally -- no argument there. My point is simply that there are very few elite players at those positions that are available, either in FA or via trade.

Finally, as to the 12 years -- you are aware of the various events that have transpired with the Sabres during that time that have been well outside of DR's control, right?

Darcy has one objective....make money for the team by fielding a team just competitive enough that they might "get lucky" someday, and only make minimal moves until the fanbase reaches a near critical level of negativity at which point you make just big enough of a move to buy some time with fans and start the cycle over.

There is little chance of a makeover because they finished first, which buys another year of excuses as the season ticket money flows in. Why would he disrupt the chemistry of a "first place team" and risk getting blamed for something going wrong? If the team gets exposed next year for what it was, a mediocre team of European style players that were supplimented by a checking line and a half devoid of skill and a goaltender that had a career year in the crease and in the PR department....then, and only then will the question be relevant in his case.

The answer in my opinion is no. I've never respected Darcy as a manager of talent for just that reason. He has balls that could fit inside a pea shooter. He may be a decent talent evaluator and can stay within a budget, but call me crazy for wanting more than a handjb after being with the same girl for a decade.

Go all out.....if you fall flat on your face, I will respect you for having a vision, and the conviction to see it through. I will also support you with my wallet.

Ghost of dwight drane I could'nt have put it better myself. You hit the nail on the head. I'm happy that someone shares my feelings in regards to Regier. All excuses aside,he's had 12 years at the helm of a team I live and die for and frankly,I'm tired of mediocraty. I want a winner.

NHL stars don't want to come to Buffalo for the same reason very few people (not just athletes), if given the ability to make millions of dollars in a city of his/her choice, would choose Buffalo over NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Washington, Tampa etc.

As for a #1 center, a PP QB and more guts generally -- no argument there. My point is simply that there are very few elite players at those positions that are available, either in FA or via trade.

Finally, as to the 12 years -- you are aware of the various events that have transpired with the Sabres during that time that have been well outside of DR's control, right?

Detroit is called Murder City and has very little problems attracting players. I'm not saying your point is invalid. It is spot on they say. It just means the Sabres have to work a lot harder. For some reasons of their own doing and some not.

I don't buy the "this team finished above 100 pts" argument. :wallbash:

I am a proponent of the "this team got bounced the first round" argument.

This team, as it stands, is completely incapable of succeeding in the post season (AKA where it counts).

Regier will have to leave his comfort zone and actively work the trade market to bring in some fresh faces. He needs to inject fresh blood into this team.

Examine the teams that made it to the Conference Finals in both the East and West, and you'll find all four were very active in the trade and free agency markets.

OH JOY!

Another, lets bash Darcy thread.

These are my recent favorite threads. I really enjoy towing the following line around like an anvil tied to my neck.

"NO STANLEY CUP BANNERS IN THE RAFTERS AFTER 12 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS AS THE BUFFALO SABRES GM = COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE OF THE GM, DARCY REGIER. NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT IT, SLICE IT, DICE IT, TRY TO SPIN IT, THE FACTS ARE LAYED BARE FOR ALL TO SEE!" :censored:

Ok, so when can I expect the next bash Darcy thread. I may as well just put this quote on its own text doc and copy and paste as needed. "sigh"

:( :( :(

OH JOY!

Another, lets bash Darcy thread.

These are my recent favorite threads. I really enjoy towing the following line around like an anvil tied to my neck.

"NO STANLEY CUP BANNERS IN THE RAFTERS AFTER 12 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS AS THE BUFFALO SABRES GM = COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE OF THE GM, DARCY REGIER. NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT IT, SLICE IT, DICE IT, TRY TO SPIN IT, THE FACTS ARE LAYED BARE FOR ALL TO SEE!" :censored:

Ok, so when can I expect the next bash Darcy thread. I may as well just put this quote on its own text doc and copy and paste as needed. "sigh"

:( :( :(

You might try reading the thread.

Is this a bash Regier thread? Where do I sign up? We all have different opinions on what defines success. Some define success as just making the playoffs,some as conference finals,some as escaping the first round. Apparently some on this board also consider missing the playoffs as a successful year. I have a different opinion on what is successful. Winning the cup is successful to me. After 12 kicks at the can I think thats not a lot to ask for. But for arguments sake ,what the helll, lets give Darcy one more shot at it with our beloved Sabres. Since he's our guy I'll have to throw my support behind him just like I always have. You go Darcy! Prove me wrong.

Good thread here DeLuca.

Regier will only get 'out of character' and do something different if he believes he did something wrong. You know and I know that we disagree with his methods over the last couple of years, but does he know? I want to believe that he is not blissfully ignorant that we have issues and glaring needs, some of the alumni have been very vociferous about this too.

A #1/#2 center, a veteran d-man, a backup goalie are the requirements - if they could be tough and gritty, and one of them also a PP QB then we'd be even better off.

Archived