[OT] Controversial Call (USA)

Guest Sloth

Guest Sloth

I don't know how many of you at this website our soccer fans, but Team USA got screwed today. Game tied 2-2 with 5 minutes to play and Team USA scores what appears to be an eventual game winning goal. But, the ref blew the whistle as the ball was entering the net, if not after, and ruled it a no goal. Team USA asked what the call was and the ref had no answer for them. FIFA just announced, literally, the ref has not been able to give them a reason for the call as well. If the ref can't back it up, why can't FIFA reverse the call and give USA the goal? I am beyond mad. Thankfully England tied Algeria...Makes it to where if Team USA beat Algeria, they move on to the Round of 16. I'd be ecstatic!

While you are right, the USA did get screwed badly, and i hear and am reading all the outrage, but one thing to consider.... how come Clint Dempsey's elbow was only a yellow card and not a red? Any kind of an elbow high to the head is a red card. USA dodged a major bullet, and down Dempsey and on the scoreboard, and then not having him vs. Algeria, would have been the final nail in the coffin. I am not saying it all evened out, but look at both sides of the spectrum, not just the one that favors your argument.

Thats was the worst officiated game in the history of soccer. My god did the ref make so many mistakes, i.e. the handball earlly on, the gw goal, and the list can go on. Fifa better not let that guy ever officiate a game again. Ugh!!!!! :censored:

If the USA had any real soccer fans that ref would be dead already! :)

That is simply a soccer joke, I am not condoning violence against anyone. Just a jab at a sport with some over the top fans.

Thats was the worst officiated game in the history of soccer. My god did the ref make so many mistakes, i.e. the handball earlly on, the gw goal, and the list can go on. Fifa better not let that guy ever officiate a game again. Ugh!!!!! :censored:

The selection of referees in the World Cup is always 100% based on politics.

Most participating countries have a referee in the mix as well, which leaves way too many games to be handles by refs who simply aren't good enough or used to the level of play.

Horrible call, but it happens at every World Cup in the group rounds, until all the crap referees are weeded out due to awful performances.

Sepp Blatter is a POS, worse then Bettman.

There's payolas and corruption in every sport from the olympics to the world cup. From steroids being overlooked by baseball commisioners to corrupt n.b.a. officials betting on games based on other officials known biases. The only thing surprising is why are people surprised? Helll, when it comes right down to it the way Colin Campbell hands out suspensions is a form of corruption that everyone has just learned to accept. The lack of consistency in judgements and the favortism to star players is crooked as anything that can go wrong on the field or ice surface in regards to judgement calls by officials. Its the human element and it'll always be there. Sometimes it really sucks to be a fan.

This was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in any sport. That ref was completely inconsistent and completely wrong about almost every foul called, for both sides but and I hope I don't come off as a national homer, but really, the foul calls on the USA were absolutely ridiculous.

It seemed like every time we entered the Box on a scoring chance he managed to make up a foul. That call on the disallowed goal was absolutely non existent. If anything there were 2-4 fouls ON US in the box which is a penalty shot, but the advantage would be played and the goal stands.

It was ridiculous and even the English commentator remarked about how bad the game was.

What's the big deal? It's not like he took away a perfect game or anything? That "call" was no worse than Jim Joyce's phantom safe call. Maybe if this soccer ref apologized everyone would be all hugs and puppies.

He clearly took away two points in a game for one team. Those points are enormous to the fortunes of all four teams.

It was a meaningless goal in what would have turned out to be a meaningless game. It's not as bad as taking away history.

So only baseball no-hitters make history? :pirate:

I know you're just being your usual contrarian self.. It wasn't a meaningless goal and it wasn't a meaningless game.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that a significant chunk of the planet knew the bad ruling in the baseball game and the entire planet knows what happened in USA vs Slovenia yesterday.

Are you serious? not a meaningless goal or game.

Does any team in that group have a realistic chance at winning the World Cup? Not likely. The favorite would have been England and if they can't beat the US they have no shot at all at winning it all.

So only baseball no-hitters make history? :pirate:

I know you're just being your usual contrarian self.. It wasn't a meaningless goal and it wasn't a meaningless game.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that a significant chunk of the planet knew the bad ruling in the baseball game and the entire planet knows what happened in USA vs Slovenia yesterday.

First off it was a perfect game. Would have been only the 21st in over a 100 years of baseball. And really "the entire planet?" The majority of this country doesn't even know that the World Cup is being played.

Does any team in that group have a realistic chance at winning the World Cup? Not likely. The favorite would have been England and if they can't beat the US they have no shot at all at winning it all.

BC no team from the group is the favorite the goal is meaningless? hardly.

BC no team from the group is the favorite the goal is meaningless? hardly.

It is exactly. I would say years from but it is more likely weeks from now (maybe even days) except for the few soccer fans in this country no one would remember that the US beat Slovenia 3-2. Three perfect games in one season would have been a part of American sports history.

First off it was a perfect game. Would have been only the 21st in over a 100 years of baseball. And really "the entire planet?" The majority of this country doesn't even know that the World Cup is being played.

I might have believed this 2 weeks ago. I don't now. There were people shouting everywhere in my building during the game. From my managers to the guy making my sandwich, it was all people were talking about yesterday. As little as I care about it, it was still pretty cool.

As to the call, like with most complaints about officials, if the US just takes care of business themselves and wins the next game, then the call won't matter.

Guest Sloth

Hmmm...The 2009 FIFA Confederation Cup blows this entire remark out of the water. Team USA beat #1 ranked Spain in the semi-finals and almost beat #5 Brazil in the championship game. To say England or the US does not have a chance at winning the World Cup is rediculous.

Also, take a look at the standings right now. France is pretty much done, and Spain will most likely have to win their next 2 games to advance. Certainly not an easy task. The entire world is catching up to the soccer power houses, such as Brazil, France, Spain, etc... Oh, I almost forgot to mention Brazil barely beat Korea DPR 2-1.

Hmmm...The 2009 FIFA Confederation Cup blows this entire remark out of the water. Team USA beat #1 ranked Spain in the semi-finals and almost beat #5 Brazil in the championship game. To say England or the US does not have a chance at winning the World Cup is rediculous.

Also, take a look at the standings right now. France is pretty much done, and Spain will most likely have to win their next 2 games to advance. Certainly not an easy task. The entire world is catching up to the soccer power houses, such as Brazil, France, Spain, etc... Oh, I almost forgot to mention Brazil barely beat Korea DPR 2-1.

Spain should easily beat Honduras and Chile if not they certainly didn't deserve to be ranked #2. There are just too many good teams in the tournament to seriously think the US has a chance. That the US team was down 2-0 and needed a comeback against Slovenia says a lot about their chances.

This is an absolutely irrevalant remark and carries no weight or bearing on the discussion.

Spain should easily beat Honduras and Chile if not they certainly didn't deserve to be ranked #2. There are just too many good teams in the tournament to seriously think the US has a chance. That the US team was down 2-0 and needed a comeback against Slovenia says a lot about their chances.

And yet another irrelavant comment. No one is debating the US chances here. I think most would agree that the US is a prohibitive long shot.

You're on a roll today.

I also think you greatly underestimate how many folks are paying attention. That result was in every newspaper, on every newscast and all over the internet, not to mention the world.

Something tells me had slovenia been the team jobbed in this game there would be no complaints on this board. It would be business as usual and considered a great win by the U.S. Everyones a homer at heart and regardless of who gets ripped off it only matters if it hits close to home.

Guest Sloth

Check the rankings, Deluca67. Spain lost to #24 Switzerland! To say Chile and Honduras are a cake walk is insane. Germany, another contender, lost to Serbia. Both are prime examples for why it will be difficult for Spain to advance. I'm not saying they won't advance, but I am saying it will be very difficult for Spain to do so.

I am glad you are paying some attention to the World Cup. It may be in a negative manner, but some attention is better than no attention. Now pull for Team USA you damn American! :thumbsup:

Its true that people are finally paying attention. If even the occasional fan watches every 4 years maybe this sport will grow in North America. Personally I could care less for the 'beautiful game'. It puts me to sleep and the constant diving and theatrics is maddening. Jim Rome absolutely hates soccer and said on rome is burning that America won't embrace soccer until they can win consistently. The same can be said of Canada. Its hard to enjoy a sport when you're ranked 87th or whatever.

Archived