Darcy Regier

SabresneedaCup

Which I'm sure is exactly the way Regier sees it.

I'd say missing the playoffs for two years straight, and then having your grossly overpaid "core" completely disappear in the most uninspired first round playoff appearence I ever saw, proves he ahould've been working like a madman last off-season to unload 90% of "the core".

the only part of the core i dont like is pominville, i put the blame on ruff for not being able to coach the "core". i dont think the core likes lindy ruff that much.

Well, every team is at least contenders for the playoffs every year. If, however, your speaking on Darcy's ability to build a contender every year, thats a mistake.

Here are the years the Sabres have made the playoffs since Darcy became GM in the Summer of 1997.

1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 playoff teams were all Hasek and had absolutely nothing to do with Regiers drafting ability. This team was already in place with Hasek as the center piece.

2006, 2007 playoff teams were Darcy's, and some draft picks did contribute such as Roy and Pomminstein. However, Chris Drury and Danny Briere were the backbone of those teams and where are they now?

Not to mention the fact that both years they lost in the ECF, they never even made it to the SCF.

When people say 06 or 07 the Cup should have been ours that season, and then use injuries as a reason as to why we did not win the Cup, that too, falls back on Regier for not having enough hungry enough talent in the pipeline to step in and be successful.

what im saying is that even the years we dont make the playoffs, we only miss them by a few points meaning since hes been our gm we have been a team thats almost always over 500 when the season ends.

what im saying is that even the years we dont make the playoffs, we only miss them by a few points meaning since hes been our gm we have been a team thats almost always over 500 when the season ends.

If you like .500 hockey that much, you must idolize Lindy.

That was for you, Swampie! Even though you took a gratuitous shot at me earlier.

That was for you, Swampie! Even though you took a gratuitous shot at me earlier.

no no no no, i cant stand lindy ruff, all i am saying is that regier isnt an absoultely terrible gm. i think regier gets too much of a bad rap and i really think the problem is lindys coaching because we have the talent but lindy is a bad coach.

no no no no, i cant stand lindy ruff, all i am saying is that regier isnt an absoultely terrible gm. i think regier gets too much of a bad rap and i really think the problem is lindys coaching because we have the talent but lindy is a bad coach.

Good man. Good woman. Whatever.

I too agree PA, its not entirely Darcy, its also what Ruff has done with that talent.

But in the end, the thread is on Regier, I don't think he is totally inept, but, after 13 seasons, its obvious he is falling short of success.

I didn't take the shot, but you have to admit it was pretty funny.

I too agree PA, its not entirely Darcy, its also what Ruff has done with that talent.

But in the end, the thread is on Regier, I don't think he is totally inept, but, after 13 seasons, its obvious he is falling short of success.

Every thread is about Lindy.

12 or 13 years is more than ample time to get it right. Regier has had more than enough opportunity to bring the cup to Buffalo. How many more chances do you give him before you hire a G.M. that is capable of doing the job? I'll put it this way. I have followed this team since they joined the league. Regier has been in control for a little over 25% of that time. What has he done to warrent that window of opportunity over some of the other G.M.s in Buffalo that were considered great hockey minds?

12 or 13 years is more than ample time to get it right. Regier has had more than enough opportunity to bring the cup to Buffalo. How many more chances do you give him before you hire a G.M. that is capable of doing the job? I'll put it this way. I have followed this team since they joined the league. Regier has been in control for a little over 25% of that time. What has he done to warrent that window of opportunity over some of the other G.M.s in Buffalo that were considered great hockey minds?

how do we know that its not ruff who cant coach?

I've had 12 or 13 years to watch them both. I'm not saying Lindy's perfect. Bring in a capable G.M.and Lindy might be gone as well. so be it. But what I do know is that Darcy can't or has'nt been able to do it and he's had far to long to prove himself. How much time do you give him? How many more lost years in this teams history and in our lives of following them do we continue with Darcys plan? His time is over. Bring in new blood.

I've had 12 or 13 years to watch them both. I'm not saying Lindy's perfect. Bring in a capable G.M.and Lindy might be gone as well. so be it. But what I do know is that Darcy can't or has'nt been able to do it and he's had far to long to prove himself. How much time do you give him? How many more lost years in this teams history and in our lives of following them do we continue with Darcys plan? His time is over. Bring in new blood.

well based on what you say they both should be fired.

how do we know that its not ruff who cant coach?

If the problem is indeed Ruff than isn't Regier the blame for keeping Ruff behind the bench? Coaching or talent, either way it falls on Regier. He selects the players and the man in charge of coaching them.

There was a time when I really liked both of these guys. I still feel Ruff is capable. He's one of the most respected coaches in the league. But I just have the opinion that You can't be afraid of change when the ultimate goal is to win the cup. This would'nt be change for changes sake. They've had a long run and have'nt been able to accomplish the ultimate goal. When do you say they've had a good go but now we need new blood and perhaps a new philosophy? I'm of the opinion that the time is now. Unfortunatly it looks like they get another kick at the can. One or both of them could be gone during the coming season if this team stumbles.

There was a time when I really liked both of these guys. I still feel Ruff is capable. He's one of the most respected coaches in the league. But I just have the opinion that You can't be afraid of change when the ultimate goal is to win the cup. This would'nt be change for changes sake. They've had a long run and have'nt been able to accomplish the ultimate goal. When do you say they've had a good go but now we need new blood and perhaps a new philosophy? I'm of the opinion that the time is now. Unfortunatly it looks like they get another kick at the can. One or both of them could be gone during the coming season if this team stumbles.

Do you think the Steelers wished they changed coaches before letting Bill Cowher have 13 years to get it right?

Well Tom I'll tell you this,I don't even know who Bill Cowher is. I'm on a hockey discussion board talking about the Sabres. All I know is Regiers had far too long to prove he can do anything approaching the ultimate goal and if he goes down,as good a coach as I think Ruff is,he'll likely go down with him. The new G.M. will want to bring in his own guy. I'd gladly change coaches if it means we rid ourselves of Regier.

The point to both of you is simple. There may be good reasons to fire Regier and Ruff but it has nothing to do with how they have been here.

Cowher was known for years as a coach who couldn't "close the deal" but when the right circumstances came together, he won a championship in his 13th year with the team.

The point to both of you is simple. There may be good reasons to fire Regier and Ruff but it has nothing to do with how they have been here.

Cowher was known for years as a coach who couldn't "close the deal" but when the right circumstances came together, he won a championship in his 13th year with the team.

how does them getting fired have nothing to do with what they have done here? that doesnt make sense. and we are still talking about hockey dont bring football anoligies into this they are 2 completely different sports.

Do you think the Steelers wished they changed coaches before letting Bill Cowher have 13 years to get it right?

Do you think the Penguins are happy they changed coaches mid-season before winning their latest cup?

Both comments are useless, and have nothing to do with the Sabres.

For some teams it works, for some teams it doesn't. You don't know till you try.

And if Ruff wins a cup next year, you have my sincere apology, though I very much doubt that'll be an issue.

Do you think the Penguins are happy they changed coaches mid-season before winning their latest cup?

Both comments are useless, and have nothing to do with the Sabres.

For some teams it works, for some teams it doesn't. You don't know till you try.

And if Ruff wins a cup next year, you have my sincere apology, though I very much doubt that'll be an issue.

You honestly think that changing coaches would have resulted in a Stanley Cup? Pittsburgh won because they had the horses. You constantly rip Ruff for the power play. Do you know who had the 20th ranked power play in the league this year? That's right, Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, Stall and Letang and yet the 20th ranked power play in the league.

I have no problem with replacing either Regier or Ruff. I have railed against Regier for years. My problem is with how the mood of this whole board has turned and how people act as if they have had no success whatsoever.

The reason to change players, coaches or front office isn't because your bored. You don't rip apart a team that won the division last year.

If Ruff and Regier had the same success elsewhere that they had up until 05/06 and then were brought in to Buffalo to rebuild the Sabres, people would be ecstatic at the prospects. Two years close to making the playoffs followed by a division win and a hard fought playoff loss and people would have believed that they would tweak the roster and contended the next year. If you read this board and didn't know what happened last year you would think this team finished close to last in the league and didn't have their own first round pick the next two years. Thankfully that distinction belongs to the revered Brian Burke.

Now I understand the frustration. I'm fifty years old and have been through all of it and more. Let's not make it sound like they've been the Leafs or the Kings all these years.

You honestly think that changing coaches would have resulted in a Stanley Cup? Pittsburgh won because they had the horses. You constantly rip Ruff for the power play. Do you know who had the 20th ranked power play in the league this year? That's right, Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, Stall and Letang and yet the 20th ranked power play in the league.

I have no problem with replacing either Regier or Ruff. I have railed against Regier for years. My problem is with how the mood of this whole board has turned and how people act as if they have had no success whatsoever.

The reason to change players, coaches or front office isn't because your bored. You don't rip apart a team that won the division last year.

If Ruff and Regier had the same success elsewhere that they had up until 05/06 and then were brought in to Buffalo to rebuild the Sabres, people would be ecstatic at the prospects. Two years close to making the playoffs followed by a division win and a hard fought playoff loss and people would have believed that they would tweak the roster and contended the next year. If you read this board and didn't know what happened last year you would think this team finished close to last in the league and didn't have their own first round pick the next two years. Thankfully that distinction belongs to the revered Brian Burke.

Now I understand the frustration. I'm fifty years old and have been through all of it and more. Let's not make it sound like they've been the Leafs or the Kings all these years.

While I agree with most of this, the problem I have is that they didn't take over in '05. Ruff and Regier took over a team that was already headed in the right direction. After it peaked in '99, it continued to go downhill from there. And as I've said before, if there was no lockout and the a two year break from the rules we would already have a new coach and GM.

So if you discount those two years as an anomaly, which I sort of do, it's been many years of substandard hockey here in Buffalo under those two.

Did the Sabres' play this year really give you hope for next year? In the second half of the season, there was some pretty dismal hockey being played by them. And I have to believe that any season in which your all-star goalie calls the rest of the team "fragile little kids" cannot be deemed a success.

While I agree with most of this, the problem I have is that they didn't take over in '05. Ruff and Regier took over a team that was already headed in the right direction. After it peaked in '99, it continued to go downhill from there. And as I've said before, if there was no lockout and the a two year break from the rules we would already have a new coach and GM.

So if you discount those two years as an anomaly, which I sort of do, it's been many years of substandard hockey here in Buffalo under those two.

Did the Sabres' play this year really give you hope for next year? In the second half of the season, there was some pretty dismal hockey being played by them. And I have to believe that any season in which your all-star goalie calls the rest of the team "fragile little kids" cannot be deemed a success.

I get this argument better then most, but one thing I think I learned through the years is you don't discount or rationalize success.

You say they took over team headed in the right direction. I say they took a team exposed the year before and added some important pieces that led to two straight conference finals, s Stanley Cup final and a couple more years of pretty good success before the wheels came off.

You can pick apart every champion. How lucky were the Red Wings that a couple of after thought draft choices turned into Datsyuk and Zetterberg? The genius that is Bill Belichek lucked out with a 6th round draft choice in a year that not one of his other picks made it. Is Ray Shero a genius if the lcok out lottery doesn't go his way? I could go on but all I'm really saying is if you want to firre Regier and Ruff, I'm fine with that provided they bring someone better in and please don't diminish or qualify their successes.

Archived