Darcy Regier

SabresneedaCup

so i hear alot of people talk about how darcy regier is a bad gm but i dont think hes that bad. i personally think that it is ruff who should be fired and i feel that it is mostly his fault as to why we cant get anywhere. anyway what are everyones honest opinions about darcy regier?

Regier sucks donkey ####.

His track record is beyond belief, and its factual for all to see.

I see people posting on the Myers and Ennis picks, but he has been the GM for 13 seasons and regardless of draft picks, he sucks at recognizing and going after Free Agent talent, He blows at keeping talent in Buffalo that has proven effective, and he really bites the big one on WINNING A STANLEY CUP.

There, all better now, for atleast 5 minutes until I start to think of the miserable failure Regier is and that he is currently the GM of our beloved Sabres. :blush:

Regier sucks donkey ####.

His track record is beyond belief, and its factual for all to see.

I see people posting on the Myers and Ennis picks, but he has been the GM for 13 seasons and regardless of draft picks, he sucks at recognizing and going after Free Agent talent, He blows at keeping talent in Buffalo that has proven effective, and he really bites the big one on WINNING A STANLEY CUP.

There, all better now, for atleast 5 minutes until I start to think of the miserable failure Regier is and that he is currently the GM of our beloved Sabres. :blush:

i agree with this, but he was responsible for bringing in briere, drury, dumont, grier etc. im not saying hes the best but he has brought it some good players. people are so caught up in the huge trade that they want to see, but its gotta be alot easier said than done.

i agree with this, but he was responsible for bringing in briere, drury, dumont, grier etc. im not saying hes the best but he has brought it some good players. people are so caught up in the huge trade that they want to see, but its gotta be alot easier said than done.

Oh, I openly admit, he did make those moves, then proceeded to blow each and every one of them. That tells me even more.

Bi-Polar perhaps?

It's far past time to change it up. He's had his chance and proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he's just not capable of building a team that can be considered a real contender. How many chances do you give a guy to bring the cup to Buffalo? We're no better now than we were when he got here. The measuring stick for success is a cup and he has'nt succeeded. Get rid of his sorry a$$.

It's far past time to change it up. He's had his chance and proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he's just not capable of building a team that can be considered a real contender. How many chances do you give a guy to bring the cup to Buffalo? We're no better now than we were when he got here. The measuring stick for success is a cup and he has'nt succeeded. Get rid of his sorry a$$.

i think he definately has a good draft mentality. he always gets good guys in the draft. if you look at the evidence he can make a good team but he just cant seem to keep everyone together. i honestly think its more bad coaching than regier not proving the talent because the sabres have been very talented for years now.

yeah but cant larry quinn be accounted for some of this too?

No, No I can't hold Larry Quinn accountable, and for 2 very simple reasons.

1. I have no evidence to suggest Quinn has made any decision relating to the duties of GM.

2. Regier currently holds the title of GM, and all of the responsibilities of this position fall on him as such.

i think he definately has a good draft mentality. he always gets good guys in the draft. if you look at the evidence he can make a good team but he just cant seem to keep everyone together. i honestly think its more bad coaching than regier not proving the talent because the sabres have been very talented for years now.

Someone else pointed out his draft success, its better than some, but abysmal to others.

The Sabres have had very good goaltenders, but under Regier, historically, they have had absolutely horrible offensive talent come through the draft.

Defensively I question it as well. I mean, really, to miss both Zetterberg and Datsuyk? Come on now.

No, No I can't hold Larry Quinn accountable, and for 2 very simple reasons.

1. I have no evidence to suggest Quinn has made any decision relating to the duties of GM.

2. Regier currently holds the title of GM, and all of the responsibilities of this position fall on him as such.

what exactly does larry quinn do then?

Someone else pointed out his draft success, its better than some, but abysmal to others.

The Sabres have had very good goaltenders, but under Regier, historically, they have had absolutely horrible offensive talent come through the draft.

Defensively I question it as well. I mean, really, to miss both Zetterberg and Datsuyk? Come on now.

picking campbell in the 6th round was a great move. and this goes back to me thinking ruff is the issue, i think we have had some great talent that came from the draft and we do now with roy, pominville, vanek, but i think ruff is running them into the ground.

what exactly does larry quinn do then?

Larry Quinn is the minority partner and president of hockey operations. Unfortunately, the team cannot fire Larry Quinn, he owns a portion of them, only Tom Galisano can alter that situation either through a buyout or a board of directors vote (since he is majority share holder of the team) to remove Quinn as president of the organization. Probably not a good way to show your happy with the partnership.

And besides, Quinns role is completely irrelavent to the personnel decisions, that is Darcy's job.

picking campbell in the 6th round was a great move. and this goes back to me thinking ruff is the issue, i think we have had some great talent that came from the draft and we do now with roy, pominville, vanek, but i think ruff is running them into the ground.

Somewhere on this board is the complete history of draft picks under Regeirs tenure, like I said, it didn't standout.

Not much more I can add here.

His last actual hockey trade was the Drury trade. How many years ago was that? 6? 7?

That last statement is absolutely absurd. The entire league missed both Zetterberg and Datsyuk, INCLUDING Detroit. Do you really believe that if Detroit thought they were that kind of player they would have waited so long to draft them?

That last statement is absolutely absurd. The entire league missed both Zetterberg and Datsyuk, INCLUDING Detroit. Do you really believe that if Detroit thought they were that kind of player they would have waited so long to draft them?

Glad I got to your post before I said the same thing.

Personally, I think the problem is that Darcy is neither a great GM nor is he an absolutely horrible GM. See, if he was an absolutely horrible GM, the Sabres would have gotten some top 3 draft picks for a few years and while there are many top hockey picks that suck, the top 3 draft picks have generally turned out to be favorable when you look at the things Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and others have done when they've had those positions. At their absolute worst, they only picked Vanek 5th overall.

Darcy has generally built mediocre teams that contend for the playoffs through great goaltending, and if that misses, the team misses the playoffs, but only barely forcing them to only get middle of the road draft picks instead of top picks. I either want the Sabres to suck so bad that they get a top 3 pick or run the table. With Darcy, neither of these generally happen.

I will say this, he has made some fantastic trades where he has absolutely fleeced the other team, and I'll give him credit for that. I mean just look at some of these moves:

Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont

Gratton for Briere

Reinprecht (via Ballard) and Warrener for Drury and Begin (gone)

Wilson for Warrener

Barnaby for Barnes

I would even say that the Campbell for Bernier (which ended up being two picks that came from Vancouver) and the draft pick that turned into Tyler Ennis turned out to be a fantastic trade for the Sabres as well. We'll see what happens, but I think Ennis is going to be a star while San Jose paid a huge price only to rent Campbell and subsequently lose him in UFA to Chicago. So, Darcy's made some good trades and drafted good players, but I think other GMs are weary of trading with Darcy now and he's afraid to play in the UFA market and has had major problems keeping the talent he's acquired. Darcy, much like his teams, are mediocre to slightly above average, but never good enough to do anything major and never bad enough to score a top 3 pick. I just hope they gain some momentum this offseason from the playoff run and look to build a really strong team for next year, but I have my reservations.

yeah but you gotta admit that the sabres were worse off before the lockout then they are now, so regier hasnt had to make as many trades.

Which I'm sure is exactly the way Regier sees it.

I'd say missing the playoffs for two years straight, and then having your grossly overpaid "core" completely disappear in the most uninspired first round playoff appearence I ever saw, proves he ahould've been working like a madman last off-season to unload 90% of "the core".

well then why do you think the sabres are usually at least contenders for the playoffs every year.

Well, every team is at least contenders for the playoffs every year. If, however, your speaking on Darcy's ability to build a contender every year, thats a mistake.

Here are the years the Sabres have made the playoffs since Darcy became GM in the Summer of 1997.

1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 playoff teams were all Hasek and had absolutely nothing to do with Regiers drafting ability. This team was already in place with Hasek as the center piece.

2006, 2007 playoff teams were Darcy's, and some draft picks did contribute such as Roy and Pomminstein. However, Chris Drury and Danny Briere were the backbone of those teams and where are they now?

Not to mention the fact that both years they lost in the ECF, they never even made it to the SCF.

When people say 06 or 07 the Cup should have been ours that season, and then use injuries as a reason as to why we did not win the Cup, that too, falls back on Regier for not having enough hungry enough talent in the pipeline to step in and be successful.

Archived