Miller's best saves of the year

eball

For my money, Miller's two best highlights of the season have been (1) robbing Brind'amour late in the 2nd with a diving glove save early in the season (in a game the Sabres trailed at the time, 1-0, but wound up winning 5-1), and (2) the ridiculous kick/stick deflection on Gaborik during a 4-on-1 last night.

Miller gets well-deserved credit for always "being in the right place" but those two saves in particular are examples of making the spectacular play as well.

Congrats Northeast Champs!

For my money, Miller's two best highlights of the season have been (1) robbing Brind'amour late in the 2nd with a diving glove save early in the season (in a game the Sabres trailed at the time, 1-0, but wound up winning 5-1), and (2) the ridiculous kick/stick deflection on Gaborik during a 4-on-1 last night.

Miller gets well-deserved credit for always "being in the right place" but those two saves in particular are examples of making the spectacular play as well.

Congrats Northeast Champs!

It was a blocker save.

I've always wondered how many what look like routine saves to us are actually spectacular, and how many spectacular saves are basically lucky.

I think some of Miller's best saves this year have come on deflections through screens.

If you go to NHL.com, they have the "top 10 saves of the year" and Miller was not included. Some of them were not nearly as nice as either of the two that you mentioned.

PA, you are right, of course, but people like to watch those flashy saves.

It was a blocker save.

I've always wondered how many what look like routine saves to us are actually spectacular, and how many spectacular saves are basically lucky.

I think some of Miller's best saves this year have come on deflections through screens.

That's why I said "kick/stick" -- he saved it with the blocker (I think) but the stick was right over the pad.

I agree with you on the deflections -- but the two instances I noted were simply remarkable individual efforts.

That's why I said "kick/stick" -- he saved it with the blocker (I think) but the stick was right over the pad.

I agree with you on the deflections -- but the two instances I noted were simply remarkable individual efforts.

Miller said it was a blocker save.

Miller said it was a blocker save.

Gotcha. I thought at first it was a pad save, but looking at the highlight again (and of course, since Miller said it himself) I see it was with the blocker.

Gotcha. I thought at first it was a pad save, but looking at the highlight again (and of course, since Miller said it himself) I see it was with the blocker.

It's hard to tell these things. My tube TV still refuses to die.

It was a blocker save.

Interesting point PA.

Sometimes a goalie makes a diving-sprawling save across the face of the goal, and it looks fantastic on camera, but was a result of the goalie sliding too far over to begin with. Scrambling back to recover his position makes it look even better. Aggressive goalies like Miller who attack the shooter do this often.

Some goalies never make these kinds of saves because they stay back and use their frame to fill up the goal, and hence are never caught out of position as they never go out of position. They rarely ever make those highlight reel saves (eg. Lundy)

So what defines a good save - one where the goalie makes a mistake, and in trying to recover himself makes a save? or when a goalie retains his position perfectly in moving side-to-side and doesn't even let the shooter on the side sniff the net?

Interesting point PA.

Sometimes a goalie makes a diving-sprawling save across the face of the goal, and it looks fantastic on camera, but was a result of the goalie sliding too far over to begin with. Scrambling back to recover his position makes it look even better. Aggressive goalies like Miller who attack the shooter do this often.

Some goalies never make these kinds of saves because they stay back and use their frame to fill up the goal, and hence are never caught out of position as they never go out of position. They rarely ever make those highlight reel saves (eg. Lundy)

So what defines a good save - one where the goalie makes a mistake, and in trying to recover himself makes a save? or when a goalie retains his position perfectly in moving side-to-side and doesn't even let the shooter on the side sniff the net?

I'll say this was a great save because it had to be. Miller wasn't out of position. There was no 'good' position to be in to withstand such a rush; the great save was necessary.

That being said, although Miller wasn't out of position, his teammates were. Turnovers are often the genesis of great saves.

I think a "good" save is any shot that doesn't wind up in the back of the net. Yes, there are easy saves, but a goalie in the right position makes even the tough ones look easy. In my mind, "good" saves are almost always a function of the goalie's skill, and luck plays a small role.

"Great" saves, on the other hand, occur when the goalie is out of position (whether by his own mistake or because of how the play developed), or when the shooter is in a spot where you'd expect him to score >75% of the time. Great saves are usually a combination of skill and luck.

A "soft" goal is when the goalie is in position but misjudges or otherwise fails to stop what appears to be a straightforward shot, and I use the term "bad" goal when there's a funny bounce off the boards or some other "unlucky" event that leads to a score.

I rarely blame a goalie for deflections, as long as he was in position to stop an un-deflected shot.

At least that's how I see it.

It was a blocker save.

Playing Goal for almost 10 years of my life, Its a easy thing to say that ANY save on a shot high blocker side is gonna be a terrific one. Most difficult save for even the most seasoned of goaltenders.

Is there any video of Miller's save on Gaborik?

I was in attendance for the game. I'd love to hear RJ calling the save.

I would imagine that was on the NHL site and on NHL on ther Fly.

It was a blocker save.

Well said. The diving/sliding save is always great from a fan's view, but the hardest saves are on deflections and he has been incredible in that department this year.

Don't forget that catch of a high-slot deflection he made in MSG earlier this season. Sliding to his right for the original shot, then reaching back to his left to snag it and get a whistle.

The save on Gaborik was one of the best I've every seen. AMAZING.

I agree that his save earlier this season on Brind'Amour was rediculous, however I would have to give his save on Gaborik the edge only because it was a four on one. Amazing save by an amazing goaltender.

I don't think Tallinder is getting the cridit he deserves for that play. He took out two of those four players and left the only option a lifted pass to the guy you knew was going to get it.

4 rows back of the Rangers bench, sitting right behind 2 Ranger fans, Gaborik fires his shot and I watch one of the Ranger fans jump to his feet cheering like a mad man. I watch him for almost 15 seconds when he starts to wonder why all the Sabres fans are cheering, as well. I watch him as he looks up and sees the score is still 3-2...then I saw all the life get sucked out of him in that one moment.

Honestly, you guys, I wouldn't trade that memory for any other one I've experienced this season.

I don't think Tallinder is getting the cridit he deserves for that play. He took out two of those four players and left the only option a lifted pass to the guy you knew was going to get it.

That's a good point. You're right, Tallinder did play that very well. Gaborik was the only one who was really in a good position to shoot it. Even though a four on one should almost never happen, it was a terrific defensive play in the end.

4 rows back of the Rangers bench, sitting right behind 2 Ranger fans, Gaborik fires his shot and I watch one of the Ranger fans jump to his feet cheering like a mad man. I watch him for almost 15 seconds when he starts to wonder why all the Sabres fans are cheering, as well. I watch him as he looks up and sees the score is still 3-2...then I saw all the life get sucked out of him in that one moment.

Honestly, you guys, I wouldn't trade that memory for any other one I've experienced this season.

Awesome. I'm glad you joined the board to share that.

thumbsup.gif

Archived