Are the Sabres a better team....................................

wjag

So after watching the game tonight, I got to wondering if the Sabres are a better team without TV. Here me out. When Thomas is in there, the whole offense is designed as one big tip drill. Without him, guys are flying up the ice and actually making plays. I know it's just one game, but what do you folks think? Is the game different without TV? Is it better?

I wouldn't trade Vanek's hands quite yet, but ya, I have to agree, atleast tonight, they looked faster.

That doesn't necessarily mean better though. I don't like the downsizing of size, but I do have to admit, out of the 3 call ups, Gerbe and Ennis were just all over the place out there. Gerbe by far was down right spectacular in this game, not only in the offensive zone, but that defensive play, him diving to block the pass from behind the net, that was just pure hockey. He gave his all.

Ennis on the other hand, he is finding chemistry with everyone he plays with. This kid doesn't need to see Portland again, he needs to be here, fulltime in my opinion.

Mancari didn't impress me too much this game, but, I looked at who they had him with and understood it may have contributed.

So after watching the game tonight, I got to wondering if the Sabres are a better team without TV. Here me out. When Thomas is in there, the whole offense is designed as one big tip drill. Without him, guys are flying up the ice and actually making plays. I know it's just one game, but what do you folks think? Is the game different without TV? Is it better?

The bolded next is the only thing that makes sense. If you were referring to Tim Thomas.

Why only single out Vanek? Connolly was missing tonight as well? Maybe the team is better without Kaleta? I know they are better without Torres.

I wouldn't trade Vanek's hands quite yet, but ya, I have to agree, atleast tonight, they looked faster.

That doesn't necessarily mean better though. I don't like the downsizing of size, but I do have to admit, out of the 3 call ups, Gerbe and Ennis were just all over the place out there. Gerbe by far was down right spectacular in this game, not only in the offensive zone, but that defensive play, him diving to block the pass from behind the net, that was just pure hockey. He gave his all.

Ennis on the other hand, he is finding chemistry with everyone he plays with. This kid doesn't need to see Portland again, he needs to be here, fulltime in my opinion.

Mancari didn't impress me too much this game, but, I looked at who they had him with and understood it may have contributed.

I'm not advocating running him out of town on a rail, just maybe that the whole offensive philosophy of just parking him in front of the goal might need to be changed. When he's in there, it's a very static offense. When he's not, guys are flying up the ice.

I'm not advocating running him out of town on a rail, just maybe that the whole offensive philosophy of just parking him in front of the goal might need to be changed. When he's in there, it's a very static offense. When he's not, guys are flying up the ice.

Exactly, I've been saying for awhile that on the PP in particular they need to have him mix it up a little bit.

Parking him in front of the net full time is losing it's effect, let him work in all areas around and near the net.

Ya, I'll agree with you, Vanek doesn't have the legs.

Well, I guess the real issue to discuss would be what to do with Vanek.

Do we trade him in the off season, say at draft day? If so, if you were the GM of the Sabres, would you trade Stafford and Vanek to Edmonton for the 1st overall? Do you build a package to do so if it is possible?

These are real questions I'd be asking. I know giving up Vanek and Stafford is big, believe it or not, but to have a chance to grab Hall or Seguin would you go after it as a chance to build a true scoring line 1?

Gerbe had some very good shifts in the 3rd period.

In the long run though he won't get much of a chance to show his skills playing on the 4th line.

Do we trade him in the off season, say at draft day? If so, if you were the GM of the Sabres, would you trade Stafford and Vanek to Edmonton for the 1st overall? Do you build a package to do so if it is possible?

These are real questions I'd be asking. I know giving up Vanek and Stafford is big, believe it or not, but to have a chance to grab Hall or Seguin would you go after it as a chance to build a true scoring line 1?

Vanek didn't score 40 gaols in back to back seasons by accident, I'm not saying it's all coaching, but they need to do a better of using him.

Also lets keep in mind that we aren't seeing Vanek playing with this lineup. There is no saying that his game wouldn't improve.

While most of the other fans were applauding the roster as the season got underway, I've been saying from the start that we have too many lunch pail players.

Add one or two speed/skill players and you have a night and day difference.

He was playing on the third line with the anti-christ who by the way has now scored in 3 straight games.

Don't give those semantics, he was playing with what I consider a 4th line center, and a 3rd/4th liner in Grier.

You can call it whatever you chose to call it, but I'm calling it the 4th line, because it is a 4th line.

Vanek didn't score 40 gaols in back to back seasons by accident, I'm not saying it's all coaching, but they need to do a better of using him.

Back to Back 40 goal seasons are irrelevant in the conversation. Its about speed, and Vanek does not have legs, so to speak.

But, as I stated, I wouldn't necessarily be looking to dump the guy, he has hands, thats for sure and those 40 goal seasons prove it.

At the end of the day, I tend to look at the issue from a team prespective. What is the best move to improve the team?

Grabbing the 1st pick overall assures us we get a very good center in Seguin. However, we loose a LWer in Vanek and Hall is there to be had. Tough choice really, but I make the trade in a heart beat if i'm Darcy for the simple fact that it instantly improves the team longer term than what Vanek and Stafford can. Just an opinion though and I'm also looking at Ennis and Myers age.

On that note, I know its not a draft thread, but I would look at 3 players with our late 1st round pick, starting with Jack Campbell (Goalie), Jonathon Merril (Defense) or Stanislav Galiev (Right Wing). Thats if any of them are available.

Back to Back 40 goal seasons are irrelevant in the conversation. Its about speed, and Vanek does not have legs, so to speak.

But, as I stated, I wouldn't necessarily be looking to dump the guy, he has hands, thats for sure and those 40 goal seasons prove it.

At the end of the day, I tend to look at the issue from a team prespective. What is the best move to improve the team?

Grabbing the 1st pick overall assures us we get a very good center in Seguin. However, we loose a LWer in Vanek and Hall is there to be had. Tough choice really, but I make the trade in a heart beat if i'm Darcy for the simple fact that it instantly improves the team longer term than what Vanek and Stafford can. Just an opinion though and I'm also looking at Ennis and Myers age.

On that note, I know its not a draft thread, but I would look at 3 players with our late 1st round pick, starting with Jack Campbell (Goalie), Jonathon Merril (Defense) or Stanislav Galiev (Right Wing). Thats if any of them are available.

I don't agree with this at all. He's just never given an opportunity to you them.

There's just no room for a 40 goal scorer in Lindy's system.

Don't worry. If you get promoted to the drive thru lane you can stand on a stool and no one will know.

If you get promoted from thursday night to friday night pole smoker you'll start to make some real money for a change.

By the way i don't have any height issues for your information fan girl, you just keep sniffing those big jock straps, that's your bag and that isn't about to change.

I like Vanek a lot but I would make that trade in a second if Edmonton has the 1st pick and Buffalo can get Seguin. It has long been my contention that a true number one center is what this team needs.

If you get promoted from thursday night to friday night pole smoker you'll start to make some real money for a change.

I'm sorry, this is funny. You really could add to this board if you weren't so insecure.

I don't agree with this at all. He's just never given an opportunity to you them.

There's just no room for a 40 goal scorer in Lindy's system.

I respectfully disagree, watched him in plenty of games in the last 4 years, I very rarely see him gain the outside, normally its infront of the net or a feeder from behind the net.

Also, if you watch, you'll notice when he churns his legs, he's digging ice, but at a smaller stride which doesn't accomplish speed to the outside, once again.

Its not a matter of the system when your in transition, if you watch, you'll notice Roy carries and Vanek is either waiting by the boards or slightly behind gliding while Roy cuts across. Once he gets moving, its short ice to the slot, since he can't gain the outside he is forced to the upper left, the defense almost always is on him at that time.

I will say that he can be fed in front and does have some hands, but even on the Mancari feed the other night, he wasn't moving his legs much, not to say he had to, but a great scorer, like say a Datsyuk, would move there legs to open up the ability to move the goalie ethier side to side or corner and out.

I'm sorry, this is funny. You really could add to this board if you weren't so insecure.

That and his/her inability to post something and NOT insult someone on this board.

For someone who hates the word "troll", throwing a random "Poll Smoker" post in someone's face is pretty funny.

40 goals is not irrelevant to the conversation.

Vanek is the type of player who put himself in prime scoring areas of the ice.

I do not see how anyone can say that there is no way he could benefit from added speed and skill surrounding him.

History shows that he produces more in an attack offense.

As far as the draft goes I'd be looking for a sniper like Skinner.

Archived