Who keeps track of game statistics at the arena?

LabattBlue

Is this person a paid employee? Do they work for the team or the NHL? Volunteer? There has to be more than one person, as I can't see one person tracking shots on goal per player, hits, giveaways, takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, time on ice, etc...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Is this person a paid employee? Do they work for the team or the NHL? Volunteer? There has to be more than one person, as I can't see one person tracking shots on goal per player, hits, giveaways, takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, time on ice, etc...

The Players report it themselves, thats why Torres has 19 goals this season :lol:

heard something on WGR last night, i think it's a NHL employee

Not sure about all this but Hamilton was talking this morning about the person recording who scores and he said they are hired and work for the league, not the actual team.

Not sure about all this but Hamilton was talking this morning about the person recording who scores and he said they are hired and work for the league, not the actual team.

Hard to believe that it is just one person for all the stats that are tracked.

DaFan, on 25 March 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

Hard to believe that it is just one person for all the stats that are tracked.

It's obvious that is not what I said.... clearly you understood that I said I was not sure about ALL that but Hamilton mentioned the person recording who scores goals is hired by the league not the team... ::sigh::

I talked with the NHL and they said this:

There are 15 off-ice officials working behind the scenes at every NHL game, in every city, in every arena. The crew consists of 2 goal judges, a game time-keeper, a penalty time-keeper, 2 penalty box attendants, a commercial coordinator, the official scorer, 5 scoring staffers, a video replay judge and a spotter.

The scoring staff uses 5 laptop computers in the press box to track everything from goals, assists and shots, to giveaways, takeaways, plus-minus rating and even the amount of time taken between faceoffs.

Two of the laptops are used to update "stats entry," which are shots, blocked shots, missed shots, faceoffs, takeaways, giveaways, hits, penalties, plus-minus and time between faceoffs. Two of the laptops are designated to track individual player ice time, one for each team. The fifth computer is a backup. All the laptops operate the same functions and can be interchanged.

There are 15 off-ice officials working behind the scenes at every NHL game, in every city, in every arena. The crew consists of 2 goal judges, a game time-keeper, a penalty time-keeper, 2 penalty box attendants, a commercial coordinator, the official scorer, 5 scoring staffers, a video replay judge and a spotter.

The scoring staff uses 5 laptop computers in the press box to track everything from goals, assists and shots, to giveaways, takeaways, plus-minus rating and even the amount of time taken between faceoffs.

Two of the laptops are used to update "stats entry," which are shots, blocked shots, missed shots, faceoffs, takeaways, giveaways, hits, penalties, plus-minus and time between faceoffs. Two of the laptops are designated to track individual player ice time, one for each team. The fifth computer is a backup. All the laptops operate the same functions and can be interchanged.

The guy who does this for the Sabres is a friend/acquaintance of mine. He once told me how it works. If I recall correctly, on his screen it shows a box for each player, and all he does all game is touch the corresponding box for each player any time that player enters or exits the ice. This is how ice time, shift length, etc is tracked in real time. At first his job sounded fun to me but after his explanation it sounds incredibly tedious and boring, lol. Still, he gets paid to go to the games so how bad can it be? He seemed to enjoy it.

Even in your "infected" state :D , you are still on top of your game. Thanks!

The guy who does this for the Sabres is a friend/acquaintance of mine. He once told me how it works. If I recall correctly, on his screen it shows a box for each player, and all he does all game is touch the corresponding box for each player any time that player enters or exits the ice. This is how ice time, shift length, etc is tracked in real time. At first his job sounded fun to me but after his explanation it sounds incredibly tedious and boring, lol. Still, he gets paid to go to the games so how bad can it be? He seemed to enjoy it.

That's gotta be pretty tough though, not being able to really enjoy the game since all you're doing is watching people come and go off the bench and all that.. I think I'd get distracted all the time!!

That's gotta be pretty tough though, not being able to really enjoy the game since all you're doing is watching people come and go off the bench and all that.. I think I'd get distracted all the time!!

I have to agree...I KNOW I would get distracted! Sounds like a pretty cool part-time job though.

That was a nice find chz...I enjoyed the article. Told me some things I didn't know or wasn't aware of. Always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Archived