[OT] Food Wars Anchor Bar v. Duff's

Eleven

I haven't tried Duffs yet. I can say that the one time I went to Anchor Bar I was not impressed. The Sabres were on TV and the seats I had didn't have a view of the game. The wings were overpriced and nothing special. This place is clearly living off its name recognition and not its food. Sad.

+1. Made one trip there a couple years ago after my father's surgery at Roswell, and was unimpressed with AB. It's nice to say you have made the pilgrimage to pay your respects to the birthplace of wings, but I thought the wings were overpriced and overrated, and the sauce was thin and watery. Not very good, and we were shocked at how expensive their food was.

Has Duff's improved? The show mentioned how their wings were crispier. The times I've been there they were as soggy as wet dog.

I've heard others say that about Duff's - that they have to ask for them to be crisp. How can people use their crispiness as a reason they are better when you have to ask for them to be that way? That should be the standard.

I've only been there about a half-dozen times or so but have never had any issues with wings not being crisp or coming out soggy at Duff's. Of course I have only dined in, so I have no idea how they are for takeout.

Well, as someone who works with chicken wings 5 times a week, I hope I can speak a little to the issues at hand.

1) The wings will be soggy if

a) They are ever placed in styrophome (sp). The steam off the wings just recirculates into the skin and voila, soggy wings.

b) Too much sauce is used. It's not usually a problem, but an abundance of sauce will inundated the skin with moisture resulting in soggy wings.

c) The cook doesn't allow the wings to dry a little after cooking. After lifting the wings, they are soaked in oil and need at least 1 minute or so to dry out giving the wing that familiar crispy feel.

I wish you would call Buffalo Wild Wings and tell them all this - especially the part about using ###### styrofoam. I have given up on ordering wings from them for takeout unless we get the 50-count order, which comes in a KFC-style bucket.

Anchor Bar in a nutshell...

1. Overpriced

2. Bad service

3. Mediocre food

The Anchor Bar is a tourist trap. Nothing more, nothing less.

+1

I've never been to Gabriel's Gate, but I have heard great things about their wings(don't know about the rest of their menu).

Best BLT in the world--they use some high-quality B. Very good French onion soup. Decent chicken sandwiches. The worst burgers I ever have had. Horrible chicken fingers (which is remarkable, considering the excellent wings).

Best BLT in the world--they use some high-quality B. Very good French onion soup. Decent chicken sandwiches. The worst burgers I ever have had. Horrible chicken fingers (which is remarkable, considering the excellent wings).

What is a chicken finger anyway? Always wondered but have been too embarrassed to ask. I'm among friends here.

What is a chicken finger anyway? Always wondered but have been too embarrassed to ask. I'm among friends here.

It's basically a strip of chicken breast that has been breaded and deep fried. Often served in wing sauce and dipped in blue cheese dressing. Often sold in orders of 5, and resembling a finger in shape. Although the ones I've seen lately are larger--almost the size of a half chicken breast pounded thin.

It's basically a strip of chicken breast that has been breaded and deep fried. Often served in wing sauce and dipped in blue cheese dressing. Often sold in orders of 5, and resembling a finger in shape. Although the ones I've seen lately are larger--almost the size of a half chicken breast pounded thin.

Well spank my ###### and call me Nancy. I thought they were actually chicken fingers.

You're talking about Gabriel's Gate aren't you? I got an order from there and though they killed an ostrich. They were really good, though.

You're talking about Gabriel's Gate aren't you? I got an order from there and though they killed an ostrich. They were really good, though.

As above, I can't easily believe they were good if they were from the Gate, but ok. It's not just there, though; even ordering them from La Nova or (to annoy) Just Pizza, they're giant.

I don't know how the natives rate it but my son and I have stopped a couple times at MASTERS PIZZA on HARLEM ST. and really enjoyed the pizza and wings their. Coming from Watertown,N.Y.(4 hours one way) to watch a game, with not a lot of time to spare before game start this is easy to get to off 190. I definetly would like to try some of these places that are being mentioned. Any street addresses would be appreciated, something I can punch into my GARMAN. thanks!

As above, I can't easily believe they were good if they were from the Gate, but ok. It's not just there, though; even ordering them from La Nova or (to annoy) Just Pizza, they're giant.

Am I to believe that you don't like the Gate's wings and fingers? They are some of my favorite and I try to get them every time I'm in town. It also could help that they make a pretty decent Manhattan as well.

Am I to believe that you don't like the Gate's wings and fingers? They are some of my favorite and I try to get them every time I'm in town. It also could help that they make a pretty decent Manhattan as well.

No no no--read through it. I love their wings. Best in the city of Buffalo. Their chicken fingers are disgusting.

Just ate there for the first time last Friday night -- wings were very good and the tuna melt was fantastic. Cool atmosphere, too.

I don't know how the natives rate it but my son and I have stopped a couple times at MASTERS PIZZA on HARLEM ST. and really enjoyed the pizza and wings their. Coming from Watertown,N.Y.(4 hours one way) to watch a game, with not a lot of time to spare before game start this is easy to get to off 190. I definetly would like to try some of these places that are being mentioned. Any street addresses would be appreciated, something I can punch into my GARMAN. thanks!

Don't know Masters, but here are a few of the places people are talking about:

Gabriel's Gate - 145 Allen Street Buffalo, NY 14201-1513 (716) 886-0602

Anchor Bar - 1047 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14209 (716) 883-1134

Duff's - 3651 Sheridan Dr Buffalo NY 14226 (716) 834-6234

First two are 'downtown', within a mile of two of the Arena. Duff's is on the border with Amherst, but it right off I-290 (Millersport Hwy exit, South). Of the three I've only had Anchor Bar, which are decent but pricey. They're certainly better than just about anything you'll get outside Erie County.

I like the Bar-Bill wings, but that's *way* out of the way if you're traveling from Watertown to downtown Buffalo.

Bar-Bill - 185 Main Street East Aurora, NY 14052-1632 (716) 652-7959

Don't know Masters, but here are a few of the places people are talking about:

Gabriel's Gate - 145 Allen Street Buffalo, NY 14201-1513 (716) 886-0602

Anchor Bar - 1047 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14209 (716) 883-1134

Duff's - 3651 Sheridan Dr Buffalo NY 14226 (716) 834-6234

First two are 'downtown', within a mile of two of the Arena. Duff's is on the border with Amherst, but it right off I-290 (Millersport Hwy exit, South). Of the three I've only had Anchor Bar, which are decent but pricey. They're certainly better than just about anything you'll get outside Erie County.

I like the Bar-Bill wings, but that's *way* out of the way if you're traveling from Watertown to downtown Buffalo.

Bar-Bill - 185 Main Street East Aurora, NY 14052-1632 (716) 652-7959

THANKS for the addresses and phone numbers :thumbsup: above and beyond what I expected.

Archived