Interesting

JJFIVEOH

Here's a letter the Florida Panthers sent out to the fans today.

Dear Fans,

Based on our commitment to accessibility, we would like to take this opportunity to give you some insight into our hockey club’s strategy moving forward. After consulting with General Manager Randy Sexton and Head Coach Pete DeBoer, it is clear that our team, the way it is currently structured, is not equipped to meet the goals and objectives that we have set for ourselves, our fans and our partners.

Those goals are simple: qualify for the postseason on an annual basis, maintain a level of sustainable success, put a product on the ice that we can all be proud of, and compete for a Stanley Cup sometime in the near future. Our discussions with our hockey operations department about the composition and the strength and weaknesses of this Florida Panthers team have been extensive and ongoing, and based on those discussions and the inability to meet our goals, it is obvious that significant change is required.

Thus, GM Randy Sexton has begun the process of reshaping this team in order to achieve our goals and objectives. This is a multi-step process, beginning now, ahead of the trading deadline, and continuing through the draft, free agency and training camp – so we ask that you assess our success only once this process has run its course.

Unfortunately, these changes will not always be easy for our fans and supporters to accept or understand. These changes also may not be easy for our coaches, players and staff. But they are necessary. No small changes or quick fixes will do. But please note that these changes are part of an overall plan to make the best use of our current assets and set this franchise up to achieve the success we want as quickly as possible, and to maintain it.

Clearly, we are not satisfied with some of the players on this team that do not possess the characteristics we need to be successful. We must be accountable for that. Our task moving forward is to acquire players with the attributes, skills and qualities we want in a Panthers player. We must admit the significant shortcomings we have as an organization, and we must move quickly and efficiently to overcome these shortcomings and reshape this franchise on a much more solid foundation.

As passionate fans and supporters of the Florida Panthers, this is what you deserve, and nothing else will do. Thank you for the emotion, the dedication and the loyalty that you have shown to your Panthers and please know, that as Managing Partners of this franchise, we are working hard to provide you with a hockey team you can be proud to call your own.

Regards,

OwnersSignatures.jpg

Meanwhile............

Darcy is playing sudoku with some Barry Manilow in the background, and Quinny and Ronan Tynan are feeding each other bon-bons in a sudsy bath.

:lol:

You didn't actually believe anything was, or is for that matter, going to happen with this roster, did you?

Darcy, I am betting, doesn't make a move this year. He will sell his off season rebuild schuck and jive story to LQ and TG in order for himself and LR ro get that extension for next season. ;)

You would not be satisfied with such a message from the Sabs. Nor would I. Cut it out.

Agreed. If Darcy sent out a message like that PA would be on here whining about how they're just words and it's a ploy by LQ to make the fans think something is getting done so they can fill seats. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Honestly nobody would be pleased with getting that letter. Im sure nobody was pleased to write or distribute that letter. But the honesty is refreshing. Teams rebuild. Its a reality. We all know how its done, selling off popular vets, moving young talent for picks etc.

I dont really agree with the throwing in the towel angle. From a business stand point, you have opportunities you must take advantage of like a pre-Olympic break trade. Theres nothing wrong with letting your supporters know in a well crafted statement that 'Hey, the team is crap, you're paying for something better, so we have to move in a new direction, save some money, get some new blood.'

Get younger cheaper faster, and pick up some high picks along the way. The team cant tank on the ice. But you can tank the team you put on it. The fans endure another bad season (nothing new to them) with new, possibly exciting young players, then bang, your top pick is a turnstyle draw for your fanbase next season with re-newed hope. If you do that correctly, your the next Pittsburgh or Washington. We saw both do that right before the lockout. Turned out pretty well for them, I think.

I wouldn't want to be a Panthers player reading that, what a downer for the players and fans, just throwing in the towel like that. Sounds like Marketing has taken over with new incentives to buy season tickets next year.

Alan Cohen stepped down as majority owner just a couple of months ago and the new majority owners are taking over like they actually have an interest. DeBoer is an awesome coach and he's been given nothing to work with. I think it's good they came out and gave all the fans the heads up as to what's going on. Yeah it sucks that they're pretty much admitting they're giving up the season, but at least they're showing the fans that they're going to try and do something about it.

I wasn't implying the Sabres should send out letters to fans about the state of the team, just thought it was cool that they came out and told everybody up front.

Here's an update. I've always said Horton would be a good addition to the Sabres.......B-)

Thursday, 02.18.2010 / 2:52 PM / Blogs Florida Panthers Last week, Cliff Viner and I sent a letter to all of our fans and supporters outlining our thoughts and opinions about the current state of the Florida Panthers franchise, and our plan moving forward for achieving our goals and objectives.

In my opinion, the letter was a candid and honest approach to the accessibility that we promised when Cliff and I were introduced as Managing Partners of this franchise back in November.

At that time, we said that we would communicate with all of our constituents whenever possible, and give them insight into the plans and reasoning behind all of our initiatives. We have followed through on that commitment in a number of ways including blogs like this one, a pair of town hall meetings, my Twitter presence (@StuSiegel), and most recently, last week’s letter.

We also made it clear back in November that, as an organization, we were going to be accountable for our results both on and off the ice. I believe that last week’s letter displayed our commitment of accountability. In that letter, we were clear that we have very specific goals for this franchise. We want to qualify for the postseason on an annual basis, maintain a level of sustainable success, put a product on the ice that we can all be proud of, and compete for a Stanley Cup sometime in the near future.

That’s what we as owners want, and that’s what our fans and supporters want. But as of yet, that has not been delivered by us. In our planning sessions with General Manager Randy Sexton and Head Coach Pete DeBoer, it’s clear that changes are needed in order to achieve our goals.

Since we sent the letter, and published it on FloridaPanthers.com, the response has been tremendous. Of course, like anything we do in professional sports, there will always be supporters and naysayers. But an overwhelming number of our fans expressed both relief and excitement that we are unwilling to stand pat and accept the norm. Even more than we could have imagined, our fans spoke out in favor of action, in favor of change. What is even more clear to us is that our supporters want to build something special here in South Florida. They don’t just want a team that will finally break the spell and make its first playoff appearance since the year 2000, but rather a team that can become a consistent winner.

As I said back in November when introduced as the new CEO of the Panthers, my ultimate goal is to hoist the Stanley Cup over my head. That said, I feel compelled to reiterate that setting this team up to achieve the goals that we want is a multi-step process that will take us through the trade deadline, the draft, free agency, and next season’s training camp. For that reason, I will once again ask that you assess the job we have done only after this process has run its course. Situations such as these are not always easy.

During our second town hall meeting with fans two weeks ago, the comments were as passionate as they were varied. Not everyone can agree on everything, that much is clear. Not everyone will agree on contracts that are signed, moves that are made, what players play where, etc. But what is clear is that we are all united as Panthers fans. We are all eager to show people the passion and the dedication that exists for hockey in South Florida. We all desperately want success for this franchise. And one thing that should not be questioned, is our willingness to work hard and make tough decisions to achieve that success.

Stu

Wow ... I was okay with Darcy playing Sudoku, but was the visual of Larry and Ronan in a sudsy tub really necessary? I have to eat sometime today!

Meanwhile............

Darcy is playing sudoku with some Barry Manilow in the background, and Quinny and Ronan Tynan are feeding each other bon-bons in a sudsy bath.

Archived