Sabres' record in the third jersey

PASabreFan

In 09-10: 6-1-2.

Maybe carp can give us the record over the past couple of seasons.

At first it seemed like an anomaly, but maybe there's some correlation here.

Not that there's anything wrong with Buffalo's record in the slugs this season -- 25-13-5.

In 09-10: 6-1-2.

Maybe carp can give us the record over the past couple of seasons.

At first it seemed like an anomaly, but maybe there's some correlation here.

Not that there's anything wrong with Buffalo's record in the slugs this season -- 25-13-5.

Yeah, but if you'd extrapolate, the comparable record in the thirds would be 24-4-8. More than enough reason to 86 the slugs and bring back the classic logo full time (which I think we all are expecting to happen next season anyway.)

Not to go off on a tangent, but you have to wonder why some teams have kept the logo from their inception (Flyers, Oilers) and some have changed multiple times (Sabres, Canucks, Kings). The old chestnut says that "you play for the crest on the front, not the name on the back". When the crest changes every decade, which one do you play for?:blink:

Referencing this thread from last year and assuming that PA's record above is correct, then the totals look like this:

2009-10

White Slugs: 13-10-2* (56% of points)

Blue Slugs: 13-3-3 (76% of points)

Blue Thirds: 6-1-2 (78% of points)

* one road win was thirds in Philly, while one home loss was in white slugs, also against Philly.

2008-09

White Slugs: 18-17-6 (51% of points)

Blue Slugs: 11-11-8 (50% of points)

Blue Thirds: 12-4-0 (75% of points)

Overall

White Slugs: 31-27-8 (53% of points)

Blue Slugs: 24-14-11 (60% of points)

Blue Thirds: 18-5-2 (76% of points)

I didn't track "Blue Slugs with Third Logo Helmets" this year, but it performed well last year.

Referencing this thread from last year and assuming that PA's record above is correct, then the totals look like this:

2009-10

White Slugs: 13-10-2* (56% of points)

Blue Slugs: 13-3-3 (76% of points)

Blue Thirds: 6-1-2 (78% of points)

* one road win was thirds in Philly, while one home loss was in white slugs, also against Philly.

2008-09

White Slugs: 18-17-6 (51% of points)

Blue Slugs: 11-11-8 (50% of points)

Blue Thirds: 12-4-0 (75% of points)

Overall

White Slugs: 31-27-8 (53% of points)

Blue Slugs: 24-14-11 (60% of points)

Blue Thirds: 18-5-2 (76% of points)

I didn't track "Blue Slugs with Third Logo Helmets" this year, but it performed well last year.

The 6-1-2 came from the Sabres pregame media notes.

So...

Slugs 55-60.

Swords 18-7.

The 6-1-2 came from the Sabres pregame media notes.

So...

Slugs 55-60.

Swords 18-7.

As Tyty (sorry, full name is too long to type) points out, though, that is slightly biased since the thirds are only used at home. However, it seems the numbers aren't that different when separated:

Slugs at home: 24-26 (one white slug loss)

Thirds at home: 17-7

Slugs on road: 31-34

Thirds on road: 1-0

As Tyty (sorry, full name is too long to type) points out, though, that is slightly biased since the thirds are only used at home. However, it seems the numbers aren't that different when separated:

Slugs at home: 24-26 (one white slug loss)

Thirds at home: 17-7

Slugs on road: 31-34

Thirds on road: 1-0

This experiment isn't blind though. Is someone selecting home games they suspect the Sabres have a greater chance of winning?

This experiment isn't blind though. Is someone selecting home games they suspect the Sabres have a greater chance of winning?

It certainly could have been argued last year with three games against the Laughs (if I remember correctly, including one in Toronto ... oops, the home/away stats above may be off by one since we wore our thirds in Toronto last year against their white thirds.) However, this year doesn't look stacked with easy games:

Montreal 10/3/09 (OT loss)

Detroit 10/13/09 (Win)

Toronto 10/30/09 (Win)

Flyers 11/14 (Win)

Bruins 11/20/09 (OT loss)

Rangers 12/5/09 (Loss)

Blackhawks 12/11/09 (Win)

Penguins 12/30/09 (Win)

Maple Leafs 1/08/10 (Win)

Bruins 1/29/10 (Win)

(Second oops. If 6-1-2 was from the pregame notes, then I should have been using 7-1-2 above after last night's win.)

Is the Sabres' record in the third jersey actually an argument for keeping the slugs? An ace in the hole up the sleeve. Pull out the third as our Kate Smith.

I mean, would anyone argue the Sabres would earn 76% of their possible points if they wore the third jersey for 82 games?

• 2 weeks later...

As PA pointed out in the GDT, they played and won again in the thirds, taking their record to 8-1-2 this year. While some would argue that the Sharks weren't playing 100% last night, I don't think it would have been seen as an easy game ahead of time.

Thanks.

To you with failing memory I pass the... the... uh... whatever.

Might be an interesting story for Bill Hoppe to do. I wonder if any player would go on record and say they feel different playing in the crossed swords.

Might be an interesting story for Bill Hoppe to do. I wonder if any player would go on record and say they feel different playing in the crossed swords.

Yeah, I'm curious, too.

It should be noted, however, that a big difference in their standing this season vs. last is that they are winning more in their blue slugs. Last year, they were 11-11-8 (50% of points) in them. This year, I believe that they are 12-5-4 (67% of points.) That would have equated to 10 points difference last season. Although, in thinking about it, 8-1-2 is 82% versus last season's 12-4-0 for 75%. So, the thirds have improved, too. Whites are about the same.

• 3 months later...

i think the logo should be that b with the sword through it, or a sabre in general, because we are the buffalo sabres not the buffalo buffaloes

You mean the dagger through the B? I can't believe they got that one wrong. And I hope the second part of the comment isn't about the original logo.

You mean the dagger through the B? I can't believe they got that one wrong. And I hope the second part of the comment isn't about the original logo.

naw the original logo is awesome, i just mean if there not gonna use the original logo, then use something that maybe doesnt have a buffalo in it.

Archived