Sabres' record in the third jersey

PASabreFan

As I've read many times here before, we should all be reminded that this is more about selling jerseys and making money than wins/losses. I hope that the Sabres have realized no one likes the Slug/Trump Hair but we're our own worst enemy. We buy the stuff.

I'm friends with many fans of other teams (Toronto, Pittsburgh, Blackhawks, etc.) and they all wonder why we would ever change. The crossed swords is/was one of the best logos/uniforms in the league. I also liked the black/red with the Satanic bison...it was a complete departure from the old logo and if you're going to do it, then go full scale.

The Slug is a disaster, similar to the Gorton's Fisherman logo the Islanders used and retired after a year.

I'm all for updates and redesigns of the uniforms to keep things fresh (and to sell product)...but there is not reason to lose all of the brand awareness and respect the crossed swords represented from the start. Blue/gold should always be Buffalo's colors, much as the Bills should always be red, white and blue.

Miller appeared in a segment on NBC last night wearing the slug.

I noticed that. However, I take July 1 as the NHL's New Year's Day, so that should be when the switch should be required. Though, having said that, I expect this year's thirds, not a slug, as the draft jersey for '10.

Why not make the third jersey the slug jersey and home and away use old logo? The slug is still sellling briskly -- I would venture it's still top five among sales in the league! You can even put the B with the sabre (from red and black jersey) as a shoulder mark somewhere to reflect all 40 years of uniforms. Keep everyone happy that way wouldn't it? I definitely seem room for compromise here. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Why not make the third jersey the slug jersey and home and away use old logo? The slug is still sellling briskly -- I would venture it's still top five among sales in the league! You can even put the B with the sabre (from red and black jersey) as a shoulder mark somewhere to reflect all 40 years of uniforms. Keep everyone happy that way wouldn't it? I definitely seem room for compromise here. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I'm not worried about keeping "fans" who discovered the Sabres in the spring of 2006 happy.

Anyone who is unhappy about the demise of the slug can go to ###### AFAIC.

I'm not worried about keeping "fans" who discovered the Sabres in the spring of 2006 happy.

Anyone who is unhappy about the demise of the slug can go to ###### AFAIC.

not to turn this into a "we hate bandwagoners" thread, but they showed Game 7 of Buf/Car on NHL network at 4 in the morning, and it really brought back some memories. And I must say, it's pretty funny how many people I'll see around my town these days wearing Sabres gear, lots of them people who hated on hockey/the sabres a few years back.

not to turn this into a "we hate bandwagoners" thread, but they showed Game 7 of Buf/Car on NHL network at 4 in the morning, and it really brought back some memories. And I must say, it's pretty funny how many people I'll see around my town these days wearing Sabres gear, lots of them people who hated on hockey/the sabres a few years back.

We're from the same area, as you might know. I went literally years without seeing anyone in Sabres gear before the slug. I'll say this -- a lot of them are still sporting it, so good on them.

We're from the same area, as you might know. I went literally years without seeing anyone in Sabres gear before the slug. I'll say this -- a lot of them are still sporting it, so good on them.

Yeah, I mean to be fair, the NHL as a whole has grown in popularity since 05/06, so that probably has a lot to do with it too. And in the long run it's only better for the team and the league. But it's kinda like, if you've ever been a fan of a small underground band that nobody really knew about, and then all of the sudden they get huge and people are buying their tee shirts and albums and pretending they've liked them for years. It's being a little greedy, but you hate to see someone who probably doesn't have as much passion about it play it off like they're a big fan.

Archived