GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Good win tonight. It was not easy, it was not pretty, but it was a good win. Miller was again absolutely fantastic. He made some incredible saves, especially in the third period.

Vanek had a really really strong game. I thought he played extremely well tonight, worked extremely hard, scored a goal and setup what should have been a goal for Roy. Vanek was great tonight. He's played well recently. We need more of it.

I still did not like the play in the defensive zone. The Bruins towards the second and third really dominated play in the Sabres zone. They got a lot of shots on goal, and not just regular shots, but good shots on goal and Miller had to be really good to make those saves. The Sabres had 25 giveaways or something like that. They were really sloppy with the puck. It's good to get a win, but this was ugly and it very easily could have gone to Boston with all those giveaways. I'll take the win and move on, but the Sabres really need to clean it up in the defensive zone.

The less he skates, the more he scores.

"See 'ow I put a li'le twist onit."

very nice.

I still did not like the play in the defensive zone. The Bruins towards the second and third really dominated play in the Sabres zone. They got a lot of shots on goal, and not just regular shots, but good shots on goal and Miller had to be really good to make those saves. The Sabres had 25 giveaways or something like that. They were really sloppy with the puck. It's good to get a win, but this was ugly and it very easily could have gone to Boston with all those giveaways. I'll take the win and move on, but the Sabres really need to clean it up in the defensive zone.

I agree. Lydman and Montador still seem pretty shaky and a clear step down from the other 2 pairings, which have been very good in the last 2 games.

A few other game notes:

- Miller was great as many have already noted.

- Good team feistiness tonight.

- I wouldn't mind seeing Sekera come in for Lydman.

- Roy has no mojo right now in the offensive zone. He missed an open net on a great pass (not sure from whom) on a 3-on-2 in the 2nd (might've been the 1st). It was the kind of conversion a good scorer is supposed to make. He also took the penalty with 9 minutes to go. Still good on the backcheck though.

- Rivet was very good tonight.

- Gaustad had a big faceoff win very late in the game in the Sabres' defensive zone.

- Unfortunately, NJ and Washington both won tonight. Still, the Sabres are on pace for 110 points.

- The schedule doesn't get easier for a bit more -- at Pittsburgh on Monday, then home vs. Ottawa on Wednesday.

Good win!

That pass to Roy was from Vanek. Vanek also made the pass to Pommer for that one-time blast from that slot that went wide in the first. Solid overall night for TV.

I agree on Vanek and I remember being PO'd that Pommer missed on that one. It was a great scoring chance.

I agree on Vanek and I remember being PO'd that Pommer missed on that one. It was a great scoring chance.

I thought heading into the long 7-game away streak, Vanek was playing some of his worst hockey of the year, which i thought was horrid since he's been having a bad season. Besides that Atlanta game, i think he's been very good since. In his last 8 games he has 4 goals and 4 assists. I also thought he played very well in San Jose and Vancouver. He had several chances vs. SJ which he failed to connect, including the play Nabby robbed him late when we were down by a goal. Hope he keeps it up and has a break out game here shortly, kinda reminds me of Malkin, who was playing some of his worst hockey of his career, including a 11-game goal-less streak. At the end of his "slump" he started playing well but adding a assist here and playing well and Matt Barnaby said "Malkin isn't getting the goals now but last 3-4 games he's a changed man" then later that night he scored a hat trick vs. the Isles and been on fire since. Maybe Vanek has his break out game Monday on Versus or Wed vs. Ottawa? We can only hope...

I had to laugh when early in the game, a clueless Jack Edwards said that Rask "owns" the Sabres...then later on, said the Bruins owned the Sabres in the third. You should be careful about who "owns" who jack. Talk about a double whammy!

I'm hearing a "who owns who" song to the tune of a certain AC/DC song.

I had to laugh when early in the game, a clueless Jack Edwards said that Rask "owns" the Sabres...then later on, said the Bruins owned the Sabres in the third. You should be careful about who "owns" who jack. Talk about a double whammy!

Jack is your classic example of shooting your foot while you have your foot in your mouth.

Archived