Dustin Penner

Hawk

Penner is big. He is having a pretty good year. Good PP guy. Oilers have cap issues and probably will not make playoffs. Anyone have any thoughts on this guy? Besides Oilers owe us for the Vanek affair. :censored:

I like the idea and have raised it before. He is a relatively young guy, 27, is a UFA at the end of the season and has 43 points in 50 games. 21G 22A. For more info visit http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471208. He played for portland in 2005. So Dineen should be familiar with him as this was Dineen's first season in Portland.

I think they should go for it. Also, this appears to be a bit of a break out year for Penner, so if the Sabres want to sign him, they should be careful about overpaying. He is a career 20+ goal average and 20 point guy. He already has that this year.

Vanek, Stafford, Sekera

Souray, Penner, draft pick

Sabres get PP QB & power forward

Oilers get coveted Vanek, prodigal son Stafford, inexpensive D & cap relief

Sounds like a good exchange.

But

We both know that the odds of this are about as likely as you hooking up w/ spndchz. :ph34r:

I like the idea and have raised it before. He is a relatively young guy, 27, is a UFA at the end of the season and has 43 points in 50 games. 21G 22A. For more info visit http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471208. He played for portland in 2005. So Dineen should be familiar with him as this was Dineen's first season in Portland.

I think they should go for it. Also, this appears to be a bit of a break out year for Penner, so if the Sabres want to sign him, they should be careful about overpaying. He is a career 20+ goal average and 20 point guy. He already has that this year.

Actually he is signed through 2011/2012, with a 4.5 mil cap hit.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=EDM&season=0910

Hmmm ... would Darcy give Edmonton Vanek after paying the $5.2 million signing bonus (spread over the first two years of his contract, bumping his $6.4 million salary to $10 and $8 million, respectively)?

Would Lowe, after taking such flack for "overpaying" the underachieving Penner as a knee-jerk reaction to not getting his initial target, trade the finally producing Penner for that now underachieving original target, Vanek?

While the reviews of Penner's "complete game" play this year seem like a great potential addition to the Sabres' roster and Vanek might perform better (statistically, anyway) under a different system, I'm guessing that neither side would want to go through that potentially embarrassing trade. It would be a huge deal in the media due to the 2007 link between those two teams, GMs and players.

Hmmm ... would Darcy give Edmonton Vanek after paying the $5.2 million signing bonus (spread over the first two years of his contract, bumping his $6.4 million salary to $10 and $8 million, respectively)?

Would Lowe, after taking such flack for "overpaying" the underachieving Penner as a knee-jerk reaction to not getting his initial target, trade the finally producing Penner for that now underachieving original target, Vanek?

While the reviews of Penner's "complete game" play this year seem like a great potential addition to the Sabres' roster and Vanek might perform better (statistically, anyway) under a different system, I'm guessing that neither side would want to go through that potentially embarrassing trade. It would be a huge deal in the media due to the 2007 link between those two teams, GMs and players.

I dont think vanek would be a part of this trade if it happened. They are trying to cut salary not stay status quo. Vanek in that trade would make no sense.

I dont think vanek would be a part of this trade if it happened. They are trying to cut salary not stay status quo. Vanek in that trade would make no sense.

I was responding to Ink's trade suggestion. Souray + Penner = $9.65 million in cap hit for two players. Vanek + Stafford + Sekera = $10 million for three players. It wouldn't be a major shedding of salary (cap), but they could also not re-sign (or trade away) another player to net a reduction is cap (for example, not re-signing Pisani, who made $2.5 million and is an UFA.)

I was responding to Ink's trade suggestion. Souray + Penner = $9.65 million in cap hit for two players. Vanek + Stafford + Sekera = $10 million for three players. It wouldn't be a major shedding of salary (cap), but they could also not re-sign (or trade away) another player to net a reduction is cap (for example, not re-signing Pisani, who made $2.5 million and is an UFA.)

I wasnt directing my reply to you, just stating my opinion. :thumbsup:

Vanek, Stafford, Sekera

Souray, Penner, draft pick

Sabres get PP QB & power forward

Oilers get coveted Vanek, prodigal son Stafford, inexpensive D & cap relief

Souray is more of a big shot from the point instead of a PP QB. If you want a true PP QB, think Visnovsky of Edmonton. :thumbsup:

This team won't trade Vanek. Not during the season. Not when their fighting for first place.

Only because of PR, not because he's some sort of integral part of the team. I could name half a dozen players more important to this teams success than Thomas Vanek.

Only because of PR, not because he's some sort of integral part of the team. I could name half a dozen players more important to this teams success than Thoman Vanek.

Half a dozen seems a little high.

Miller, Myers, Gaustad, Ellis :)

Miller, Myers, Gaustad, Ellis, Grier, Tallinder, Roy

How did I forget Grier? Definitely on the list. I guess since I was adding my joke pick of Ellis (of course I do really like having Ellis on the team) I forget to add Grier.

Since I said to trade Roy in another thread I can't add him to my list.

I'd have to think about Tallinder a bit.

How did I forget Grier? Definitely on the list. I guess since I was adding my joke pick of Ellis (of course I do really like having Ellis on the team) I forget to add Grier.

Since I said to trade Roy in another thread I can't add him to my list.

I'd have to think about Tallinder a bit.

Is it sad that our Captain doesn't make this list?

Only because of PR, not because he's some sort of integral part of the team. I could name half a dozen players more important to this teams success than Thomas Vanek.

Not only because it would be a PR disaster, but also, because he still has the potential of breaking out any moment. Will it happen? Who knows. Malkin in Pittsburgh has been struggling all season too, had like 14 goals until a recent hat trick. Even when he wasn't scoring, each time he was on the ice he was a threat. I'm not saying Vanek isn't struggling, because he is. But, most players your thinking of, are what they are. Vanek could become world class. Maybe it'd be for 3 weeks? Maybe for longer? The potential is there....

Even with all the GWG's, Roy should be playing a larger role then he is.

I feel Roy is the bait to acquire the needed change up front. (Along with Stafford, Gerbe, Weber, draft picks, etc...)

Connolly's offense is leading his line and I hope he continues.

I wish we had someone to partner with Vanek on a regular basis and have success.

Roy just isn't the answer there. He is just a complimentary player.

Right now he is complimenting no one.

I am disapointed Kennedy's game fell off, but I have high hopes for his resurgence.

he really seemed to be working his way into a top-six forward.

The Grier-Kennedy-Vanek line was pretty interesting for a while.

Can't complain about our place in the standings right now, I just want them to take the next step to further strengthen themselves.

This team still needs that 'instant captain' move. No offense to Rivet.

I have not thought about Penner much.

Having difficulty wrapping my damaged brain around that one.

Can't yet picture him in blue and gold.

Talk on the Toronto lunch-time hockey shows had Iginla and Phaneuf being bandied about as trade deadline possibilities for struggling Calgary.

Talk on the Toronto lunch-time hockey shows had Iginla and Phaneuf being bandied about as trade deadline possibilities for struggling Calgary.

As tickled as I would be about either of those guys in Sabres gear, the only guys the Sabres could put up of equal worth would be Miller, Myers or Vanek...and we know Myers and Miller aren't going anywhere...and why would Calgary want Vanek...overpaid, underachieving...

Archived