Stafford hoping to break slump following benching

SDS

'No more trying to stickhandle past opponents out of frustration on the perimeter, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. The struggling winger, a healthy scratch for Sunday’s 5-3 win in St. Louis, must possess a skate-first mentality and use his sturdy 6-foot-1, 216-pound frame to occupy the crease area.'

http://www.sabrespace.com/buffalo-sabres/article/stafford-hoping-to-break-slump-following-benching/

Good luck with that - Stafford has never shown the inside toughness to play that kind of game. He's strong and big enough to bull to the net and smash in some fugly rebounds, or pound the forecheck and grind out the puck, but whether he'll be willing to do that and pay the price is a whole nother story.

I see a lot of Mancari in Stafford.

I'd go even further and say Stafford is a below average player, capable of going on hot streaks when he appears to care.

Whether he can ever be more? That's entirely up to him, cause the possibilities are there.

Honestly, aren't we REALLY describing the entire top two lines here, not just Stafford? I mean, seriously. Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Connolly, Vanek... "capable of going on hot streaks when they appear to care"... doesn't that describe ALL of them? To me, THAT is the problem with this team, in spite of all the good things.

I wish I had a copy of all of the stories like this that have been written in the Ruff Era. It would make a massive exhibition in the Smithsonian. People would wind through hallways and into small rooms and back into a grand lobby to view all the stories. It would take hours.

I am so sick and tired of it.

I wish I had a copy of all of the stories like this that have been written in the Ruff Era. It would make a massive exhibition in the Smithsonian. People would wind through hallways and into small rooms and back into a grand lobby to view all the stories. It would take hours.

That's because Ruff has been here for a dozen years and most of his teams have not fared that well. Easy to pick on a coach whose team has no Stanley Cups...... ;)

I might have said "lack of alternatives" as the driving force, but I agree that he hasn't been productive enough.

I believe that it was hope by Ruff that Stafford would emerge at RW like Vanek did at LW. Clearly that's not been the case. My comment about emotion overtaking reality was directed at the poster I was replying to.

No, what is really tiring is this exhastive self indulgent diatribe.

Two things. Lindy knows how to push Stafford's buttons. Stafford responded with a huge game from his benching. That's exactly how you should respond when you get scratched. We saw it tonight, Stafford is a very talented player when he wants to be. He is one of the slickest guys with the puck in scoring areas. Stafford has given this team more highlight reel goals over the last 4 years than any other player on the team. He's got the talent. He just doesn't give the effort necessary on a consistent basis. But when he plays like he did tonight, he could become an elite level player, but it's all up to him if he wants to be that guy.

But how long will it last? That boy is so inconsistent, and so pleased with himself regardless of his stats, I can not give him the benefit of the doubt. He'll probably disappear again within the next game or two.

I hope I'm wrong with the above because if he could bring the game he played tonight every night he'd be a superstar in this league.

Two things. Lindy knows how to push Stafford's buttons. Stafford responded with a huge game from his benching. That's exactly how you should respond when you get scratched. We saw it tonight, Stafford is a very talented player when he wants to be. He is one of the slickest guys with the puck in scoring areas. Stafford has given this team more highlight reel goals over the last 4 years than any other player on the team. He's got the talent. He just doesn't give the effort necessary on a consistent basis. But when he plays like he did tonight, he could become an elite level player, but it's all up to him if he wants to be that guy.

I concur with most of your sentiments, but I wonder one thing: was it because he came back on the third line? Back in the days of D&B, Vanek looked like an amazing all-star because he was on the 3rd line. Look at his production since the 'big contract.' Stafford has fallen into the same situation. He excels on a 3rd or 4th line because he is talented...however, not-so-productive other places because he is not THAT talented. Much like our "top 6." Beyond that, if Lindy is going to start benching based on amount of effort and productivity, there is going to be a long line of people waiting for their seat in the press box....

No. Stafford has never been productive enough to justify his place on the top two lines. Classic case of emotion taking hold of reality.

I wasn't emotional at all when I wrote that. Anyone that knows me would be laughing hysterically at the thought of me being emotional. ;-).

You guys just think a lot more of the top-two lines than I do - obviously. I think they only show up about 1 in 4 games (all of them). I'm talking specifically about Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Vanek, Connolly, MacArthur (maybe not Vanek as I like him a lot with Grier and Kennedy). Personally I would trade any THREE of them (let's remove Vanek) to get Chris Drury back... the same Chris Drury who is on all those underachieving lists. I think his leadership and intangibles would be that valuable to Buffalo... particularly THIS team. But that's just me - emotion has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't emotional at all when I wrote that. Anyone that knows me would be laughing hysterically at the thought of me being emotional. ;-).

You guys just think a lot more of the top-two lines than I do - obviously. I think they only show up about 1 in 4 games (all of them). I'm talking specifically about Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Vanek, Connolly, MacArthur (maybe not Vanek as I like him a lot with Grier and Kennedy). Personally I would trade any THREE of them (let's remove Vanek) to get Chris Drury back... the same Chris Drury who is on all those underachieving lists. I think his leadership and intangibles would be that valuable to Buffalo... particularly THIS team. But that's just me - emotion has nothing to do with it.

If not overly-emotional, perhaps you're typing from a padded cell with your toes? :doh:

If not overly-emotional, perhaps you're typing from a padded cell with your toes? :doh:

I guess this means you don't like my trade proposal. ;-). I am down on the top two lines. I admit it. Watching those lines makes me as mad as watching the game in Standard Def because HD is blacked out. ;-). Give me the 70's style of the Boston Bruins any day over this bunch - maybe a little less talented but very hard-working.

Archived