DirecTV/Versus debacle - update

SarasotaSabre

Wanted to let all of you out-of-town ex-pats (like myself) know of my recent conversation with DTV on this matter - very favorable. I basically told the customer service guy the following:

1) I paid for the Center Ice package & was not receiving the full complement of games (i.e., anytime the Sabres play on a Versus broadcast)

2) I should not be penalized for the ongoing contract dispute between DTV & Versus, and that I really don't care how they are spinning it to me; I am not getting what I paid for.

3) I asked the guy for a credit and he came back to me saying he would credit the entire remaining balance of my installment payments for Center Ice, something around $170

4) I saw the credit hit my account almost immediately.

So, Happy Holidays; the net/net is that all of you in the same boat as I should be calling DTV asking for the same refund! ... :thumbsup:

Well now that the Sabres only play twice more on versus it shouldn't matter as much,

I switched back to Time Warner and am glad that I did, I probably wouldn't even have service right now with this storm we're getting

Everyone forgets about the playoffs.. We could miss whole series because of this dispute.

Well now that the Sabres only play twice more on versus it shouldn't matter as much,

I switched back to Time Warner and am glad that I did, I probably wouldn't even have service right now with this storm we're getting

I'm down on DTV as anyone right now regarding the VS mess, but we had 20 inches of snow in less than 24 hours here in the DC area weekend before last, and my DTV signal never went out. The whole snow/rain/foul weather DTV thingy is a big misnomer, me thinks.

I'm down on DTV as anyone right now regarding the VS mess, but we had 20 inches of snow in less than 24 hours here in the DC area weekend before last, and my DTV signal never went out. The whole snow/rain/foul weather DTV thingy is a big misnomer, me thinks.

I live in Minnesota currently, and during the recent Christmas Blizzard I lost a couple channels (not all of them) for periods of time (the storm lasted 3 days)... but not too bad and I could generally just switch to Standard Def for a while if that happened. I agree that the whole "lost reception" thingy is FAR overblown.

But DirecTV is better than the competition by a mile regarding quality of picture (anyone thinking about switching either has an old TV or hasn't seen the difference) and depth of channels. However, they are really screwing up right now. The Versus debacle is a joke - and I don't want my money back... I want the friggin games. Not to mention the blackout of the MSG HD feed because of the dispute with MSG (which is Center Ice, I think, not DirecTV).

Basically, for Sabres fans who don't live in WNY... with the Center Ice package can't watch the home games in HD unless on the visitors broadcast and can't watch any game on Versus. That is just terrible customer service. If they continue down this path, the "superiority" of their offering isn't going to matter much.

Regrettably I made the switch to TW from DTV recently too. I couldn't take not having Versus for NHL coverage. I had called DTV a month earlier and complained about the whole Versus fiasco and the best they offered me was a $5 a month credit for three months.

Regrettably I made the switch to TW from DTV recently too. I couldn't take not having Versus for NHL coverage. I had called DTV a month earlier and complained about the whole Versus fiasco and the best they offered me was a $5 a month credit for three months.

You should have complained louder....I got DTV to give me the 2009-10 NHLCI package for $27 + Free Sports Pack for six months. I told them no Sabres in HD on MSG + no Versus made the NHLCI package almost worthless to me and that I would cancel everything and move on to Comcast (Almost made me throw up).

None of this is a perfect world. If you have TW then you get no NFL Network. If you live in Philly and have DTV then you get no Flyers/Phillies Via Comcast....on DTV. And if you are an NFL fan...you get no Sunday Ticket without DTV.

If you only like hockey then the Versus/Comcast/DTV issue offers a quick fix (although, Comcast service totally sucks....ugh it is horrible)

If you like NHL and the NFL...you go with my solution Comcast downstairs and DTV upstairs. Somewhere, somehow I get the games I want.

TW is not so bad in terms of service...I had them for years and they offered pertty good service...but holly god Comcast is terrible. I have the HD service...it just sucks...cuts out all the time...it is crazy and I have had them here a ton to look into it...customer service is horrible too.

DTV, I have had for years and I just love it...and the customer service has been top notch.

Everyone is South Jersey loves FiOS...anyone had any luck (minus football with Verizon)?

None of this is a perfect world. If you have TW then you get no NFL Network. If you live in Philly and have DTV then you get no Flyers/Phillies Via Comcast....on DTV. And if you are an NFL fan...you get no Sunday Ticket without DTV.

If you only like hockey then the Versus/Comcast/DTV issue offers a quick fix (although, Comcast service totally sucks....ugh it is horrible)

If you like NHL and the NFL...you go with my solution Comcast downstairs and DTV upstairs. Somewhere, somehow I get the games I want.

TW is not so bad in terms of service...I had them for years and they offered pertty good service...but holly god Comcast is terrible. I have the HD service...it just sucks...cuts out all the time...it is crazy and I have had them here a ton to look into it...customer service is horrible too.

DTV, I have had for years and I just love it...and the customer service has been top notch.

Everyone is South Jersey loves FiOS...anyone had any luck (minus football with Verizon)?

It's 2010. Why is this so complicated? Is this really the future of sports on TV we envisioned in, say, 1990? We all just want to watch the Sabres game, with Rick, on HD. It's incredible to me that there isn't one button on your remote to do this.

I have Dish Network...I get the Center Ice package, NFL and NHL Networks, and Versus. I opt to pay the extra 5 bucks per month for the NFL Red Zone channel too, so I can watch more than the Eagles/Ravens/Steelers/Redskins games that play around here. It works for me, plus I really like Dish. Their DVR is very nice, much better than DTV's, IMO.

It is weird though, how in this part of PA, it is almost completely Eagles and Steelers fans, and our "Local" team according to CBS is the Ravens. If Baltimore and Pittsburgh are on at the same time, we get the Ravens game.

I had to make the choice between NHL or NFL and decided to go with the hockey. Another factor too was that I finally got a HD TV and the cost to upgrade with DTV was too much. $200 upfront just to get the HD DVR that you still have to lease for $10/month plus the extra $ for HD service.

It's 2010. Why is this so complicated? Is this really the future of sports on TV we envisioned in, say, 1990? We all just want to watch the Sabres game, with Rick, on HD. It's incredible to me that there isn't one button on your remote to do this.

Agreed.

So, my update is that I have received a $40 credit to my account because of the lack of Versus. I'm working on getting another $60 credited to my account for the lack of HD. So, I'm working on about $100 credited to my account. I also switched my package from Choice Plus to Choice.

I'm kind of crazy at my house. I have Dish for some International Programming that people at my house like to view. I have Comcast for the Cable Modem because we need high speed internet and DSL is not good enough. We also have DirecTV for NFL Direct Ticket and NHL Center Ice. I'm thinking of just going with Dish Network for Center Ice next year and downgrading the DirecTV to the absolute bare minimum and keep NFL Direct Ticket.

Based on the posts here, I'm going to try to get more money out of DirectTV, but sadly I need to keep them for NFL Direct Ticket.

Archived