LabattBlue

29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with Tallinder and Lydman

• Sign Tallinder
    • Sign Lydman
    • Sign both of them
    • Trade one or the other at the deadline
    • Keep them both for the season and then let them walk come July 1st

Tallinder has been around for 9 years. Lydman has been here for 5 years. They have both had good and bad seasons wearing the blue and gold. They are both in their early 30's and heading into UFA territory at the end of this season. They will probably both be looking for multi-year deals averaging 3+ mil per year.

Rivet is probably going to be even slower and more useless next season. Paestch is nothing more than a # 7 and is also a pending UFA. Weber may be ready to step in, but who knows. Then you have Brennan, Scheistel, etc... who probably need more time in the AHL. Bring in another journeyman via FA like Montador?

So what do you want to do?

10-11 Blueline

Sekera

Myers

Montador

Rivet

Butler

???

???

I'd sign one, and hope to minimize the cap hit. 2.5 per season for a few seasons would be ideal. If Tallinder continues to show decent chemistry with Myers, I'd be for holding onto him over Lydman (if only for that reason).

Either way, I'd keep both of them for the remainder of the season. Neither would bring much in the trade market (nothing substantial anyways, unless if used in a package deal). And pending a playoff run, we'll need every dman we can get since they seem to drop like flies for us in the playoffs.

So, in recap, keep both for the remainder of the season. If Tallinder continues to play well with Myers, extend Tallinder and let Lydman walk. Tallinder has a cap hit of 2.5 mill. I'd keep it between that and 3 mill. 2 years would be ideal, but I doubt he'd sign a contract for only 2 years. 3 years is more realistic.

It pains me to say that we should hold onto Tallinder over Lydman however. If it were not for Myers, I would advocate the opposite. It is entirely because of the solid play of the Tallinder-Myers tandem that makes me lean towards Hank. I just don't want to break up the pair. If Myers weren't in the picture, I'd most likely extend Lydman (he's more physical, and from a pure defensive standpoint, the better dman).

I'd also bring up Weber full time. The kid has been, and still is ready for the big time. He's a MEAN stay at home blueliner, and we'll like him up here. Give him a shot when one of our dmen go down for an extended time, and you'll see him stay up for good.

So, 2010-2011 D:

Myers, Tallinder

Butler, Rivet

Sekera, Montador

Weber & Paetsch (assuming we extend his contract) as back ups.

I'd try to dump Rivet and bring in a different dman, but Darcy wont move his captain (especially not in the final year of his contract).

It feels weird to say that I want to keep Tallinder after the last few seasons where I've hated on the guy so much, but I've liked his game this year with Myers and if that chemistry holds up through the season I'd gladly give the guy a 2 year deal. Any more than that though and you risk keeping him around for too long, but if he really has turned his game around I'll take him.

Lyman has also played well for us. I'd keep him over Rivet.

I'd dump Tallinder in a heartbeat. For the last 3 years, he's done nothing but float around, and he was piss poor at doing that too. But lo and behold this season, when he's paired up with Myers and is playing for a contract, he shows up.

#%^$#! him.

I'd dump Tallinder in a heartbeat. For the last 3 years, he's done nothing but float around, and he was piss poor at doing that too. But lo and behold this season, when he's paired up with Myers and is playing for a contract, he shows up.

#%^$#! him.

Maybe he's actually healthy again, just sayin'........ :beer:

It feels weird to say that I want to keep Tallinder after the last few seasons where I've hated on the guy so much, but I've liked his game this year with Myers and if that chemistry holds up through the season I'd gladly give the guy a 2 year deal. Any more than that though and you risk keeping him around for too long, but if he really has turned his game around I'll take him.

Lyman has also played well for us. I'd keep him over Rivet.

Yup.

Rivet's legs are just GONE this year. Must be hell getting old.

I can't vote without knowing what the contract is to keep the player. If it's 3 yrs x $3MM per year, I pass on both of them. I'd probably keep Tallinder at 2 yrs x $2.5MM or Lydman at 2 yrs x $2MM, but not both, with a preference for Tallinder. He's played the best hockey of his career (surprise! -- it's a contract year) next to the Natural.

I like the way Tallinder is playing this year, but he's been lousy the last two seasons prior to this one. Over the course of these 4 year contracts, I think Lydman has been the better player overall, but I think Tallinder can be the better player of the two. What I'd like to see happen is Lydman get traded at the deadline in order to acquire a true PP QB who can really bring some offense from the blueline. As most know here, I'm a huge John Michael Liles fan and I think he'd fit perfectly as a PP QB, and he's the type of defenseman who can lead the rush and has a really good shot. He's in a funk in Colorado right now, but I think he's perfect for Buffalo. If not him, then another defenseman like him. I'd also like to see the Sabres acquire a top 2 line centerman who can win faceoffs and add some offense. Connolly is a total waste on faceoffs, and I think Roy is better suited as a second line centerman and not a top line centerman. So, I'd trade Lydman and something else to acquire a PP QB defenseman and a centerman who can win draws and bring some offense.

As for Tallinder, I'd be fine with signing him to no more than a 2 year extension for $6-7 million after the season. Anything more than that, then I'm comfortable letting him walk. I'm comfortable letting Paetsch walk at the end of the year as well. I'd like to see Weber be given the shot next year as a 6th or 7th defenseman. I'd keep Tallinder till the end of the season and trade Lydman to get something that can improve the team this year.

I'd say trade Lydman and call up Weber. They seem to play a similar style, so it would be a smoother transition.

I think that mentoring Myers has helped Tallinder be more conscious of his own game, and he has earned himself a nice extension.

I would also be OK with signing both of them - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Problem is the offense needs an upgrade in the goal scoring department, and if that's going to happen then someone has to go.

I'd say trade Lydman and call up Weber. They seem to play a similar style, so it would be a smoother transition.

If they trade a defenseman without bringing a new on in from outside of the organization, they won't be calling anyone up. Paetsch would return to the 7th slot. Sure, the roster limit is removed after the deadline, but there will be no sense in carrying 8 at that point.

Archived