The Washington Capitals, A case study for Kovy

static70

Well, take a good look at that game last night folks. Some of you wanted to know what offensive can do for you...............there is your answer.

The Washington Capitals are an Offensive Jaugernaght, plain and simple. They smoked our system, they smoked our defense, they smoked our goalie. Mistakes cost the Sabres this game and we all know it. But let me ask you this:

Having the knowledge that we will have to compete with a team like the Capitals for the Cup, would you not want Kovalchuck and another guy brought in to help give you that offensive boost?

This game is a case study not only on the why's Buffalo needs offensive firepower, but it also gives you the answer to just what kind of fire power we need. Get used to looking at that scene from last night folks, because come playoff time, thats the hard-charging, fast skating, tape to tape passing and dynamic scoring Washington Capitals that are going to show up in the playoffs.

Has the reality of the situation sunk in yet. Be afraid, be very afraid. There is no way on earth the Buffalo Sabres shutdown the Washington Capitals in the playoffs, just way to much firepower.

Lets hope Darcy and the organization get busy on making the necessary moves to elevate the output of Buffalo's Offense.

I don't mind the premise of your post but the Caps and Sabres are just too different right now. They have 3 players that are better than any of the Sabres, one being the best player in the leaue.

Simply adding Kovulchuk, while losing whomever in the process, isn't going to turn the Sabres into an offensive juggernaught.

Well, take a good look at that game last night folks. Some of you wanted to know what offensive can do for you...............there is your answer.

The Washington Capitals are an Offensive Jaugernaght, plain and simple. They smoked our system, they smoked our defense, they smoked our goalie. Mistakes cost the Sabres this game and we all know it. But let me ask you this:

Having the knowledge that we will have to compete with a team like the Capitals for the Cup, would you not want Kovalchuck and another guy brought in to help give you that offensive boost?

This game is a case study not only on the why's Buffalo needs offensive firepower, but it also gives you the answer to just what kind of fire power we need. Get used to looking at that scene from last night folks, because come playoff time, thats the hard-charging, fast skating, tape to tape passing and dynamic scoring Washington Capitals that are going to show up in the playoffs.

Has the reality of the situation sunk in yet. Be afraid, be very afraid. There is no way on earth the Buffalo Sabres shutdown the Washington Capitals in the playoffs, just way to much firepower.

Lets hope Darcy and the organization get busy on making the necessary moves to elevate the output of Buffalo's Offense.

What's all this static I'm hearing? :unsure:

We shut down this high power in Buffalo 3 - 0

They beat us 2 - 0 in Washington earlier.

Foolish mistakes in the 3rd and a slow 1st period (NOT to mention those goals deflected by our own into our own) and they are NOT as high and mighty as you depict.

Don't get so excited! Stick with the plan!!!

I'm prone to being a GM wannabe on these boards, but there is no way Kovalchuk is coming here. Not in a trade, not in FA. Sorry. :rolleyes:

No need to apologize Blue! Rather, I'll drink to that! :beer:

We just don't need to reinvent the wheel at this time or later.

We have what we need - they just need to realize it and want it

more than anyone else!

I respectfully disagree.

If anyone of us think for one moment that the team we saw last night (Capitals) arent going to show up at the playoffs, I will respectfully ask you watch last nights game again. That is what were up against. We need fire power.

I respectfully disagree.

If anyone of us think for one moment that the team we saw last night (Capitals) arent going to show up at the playoffs, I will respectfully ask you watch last nights game again. That is what were up against. We need fire power.

I don't know but I remember watching the Caps lose in the first round of the playoffs two years ago against Philly in 7 games in a series they had home ice advantage in. I saw them lose in the second round in last year's playoffs to Pittsburgh in a 7 game series in which they had home ice advantage in. Why should I think that they'd make any noise in the playoffs this year with basically the same team? The playoffs is a complete different animal and all it takes is a hot goaltender to win. History proves this. Montreal in 1986 won with a really hot rookie goaltender in Patrick Roy. New Jersey has always been competitive and won Cups because of their defensive system and their goalie in Brodeur and they've never had the offensive firepower of Washington ever. Even in the post lockout era we saw Carolina ride a hot Cam Ward to the Cup. Even last year it was primarily because if how well Fleury played the Pens won the Cup. Fleury played out of his mind. I could go on with more examples, but I think it's fair to say that defense wins Cups in hockey and in a 7 game series I like Buffalo's chances against anyone with the way Miller is playing right now. I would not freak out over a game the Sabres lost in the third period over some questionable penalties that was played in December. I do think the Sabres offense and the top 6 in particular really need to step up their games because there is very little production coming from them but in the end I firmly believe that defense wins championships in the NHL.

I don't know but I remember watching the Caps lose in the first round of the playoffs two years ago against Philly in 7 games in a series they had home ice advantage in. I saw them lose in the second round in last year's playoffs to Pittsburgh in a 7 game series in which they had home ice advantage in. Why should I think that they'd make any noise in the playoffs this year with basically the same team? The playoffs is a complete different animal and all it takes is a hot goaltender to win. History proves this. Montreal in 1986 won with a really hot rookie goaltender in Patrick Roy. New Jersey has always been competitive and won Cups because of their defensive system and their goalie in Brodeur and they've never had the offensive firepower of Washington ever. Even in the post lockout era we saw Carolina ride a hot Cam Ward to the Cup. Even last year it was primarily because if how well Fleury played the Pens won the Cup. Fleury played out of his mind. I could go on with more examples, but I think it's fair to say that defense wins Cups in hockey and in a 7 game series I like Buffalo's chances against anyone with the way Miller is playing right now. I would not freak out over a game the Sabres lost in the third period over some questionable penalties that was played in December. I do think the Sabres offense and the top 6 in particular really need to step up their games because there is very little production coming from them but in the end I firmly believe that defense wins championships in the NHL.

Well, as much as I love the optimism, I think alot of people are going to have a sad day come playoff time when the reality does set in. There is no way, no how, the Buffalo Sabres can beat either the Washington Capitals or the Pittsburg Penguins with the current roster Buffal has. It is time to stop hoping this happens and time for management to make the moves to increase our teams chances for success. We all saw the 2-0 game, the 3-0 game which Buffalo won (without Ovechkin for over half the game). It is time to face reality, these teams have real game changing players. Buffalo has Miller and as well as he has done this season, he is no Hasek.

Lets stop fighting the truth here, fans should be calling for management to make the necessary moves and bring in some real firepower. The more time you spend in the oppositions end of the rink the less time your defense and goalie spend running around in your own end.

Well, as much as I love the optimism, I think alot of people are going to have a sad day come playoff time when the reality does set in. There is no way, no how, the Buffalo Sabres can beat either the Washington Capitals or the Pittsburg Penguins with the current roster Buffal has. It is time to stop hoping this happens and time for management to make the moves to increase our teams chances for success. We all saw the 2-0 game, the 3-0 game which Buffalo won (without Ovechkin for over half the game). It is time to face reality, these teams have real game changing players. Buffalo has Miller and as well as he has done this season, he is no Hasek.

Lets stop fighting the truth here, fans should be calling for management to make the necessary moves and bring in some real firepower. The more time you spend in the oppositions end of the rink the less time your defense and goalie spend running around in your own end.

1. I think your facts are mixed up. The Sabres won when Ovechkin played the entire game in Buffalo. They lost 2-0 in the game that he got ejected from and scored the opening goal in Washington. http://www.nesn.com/2009/11/semyon-varlamov-blanks-sabres-20-alex-ovechkin-ejected.html

2. You haven't really disproven that goaltending wins championships. Are Theodore or Varlamov good enough to take the Caps to the Finals? I really don't think so at all. Until there is a major goaltender that can take this team all the way, I don't see it happening. The Caps lost because Fleury outplayed Varlamov. The playoffs are a completely different animal and no matter what you say, history has indicated that defense and goaltending wins Championships in the NHL. Not offensive machines. We have seen time and again high powered offenses lose in the playoffs including the 2006-2007 Sabres. The style of play is completely different come playoff time.

3. There is less than zero chance Kovalchuk will be traded to Buffalo. First, let's assume he does get traded, which won't happen, but let's assume he does. There is zero chance he would sign a long term extension in Buffalo. First, the contract snag he is having with Atlanta is because he is requesting a 10 year $120 million contract. That ain't coming from Buffalo, so no extension here. Second, he won't re-sign with Buffalo given what he has said about Ruff. As long as Quinn is MD, that means Darcy is GM, which means Lindy is coach. Short of missing the playoffs, nothing is changing in terms of coaching and management, so Kovy would never sign an extension. Then, in terms of the actual trade itself, I'm not a huge Vanek fan myself, but why would I ever trade a consistent 40 goal scorer that is under contract for 4 more years after this year and a bunch of spare parts for a rental that I have zero chance of re-signing? Basically, you're trading Vanek, some prospects, some picks, and like a spare part like Lydman or Tallinder for absolutely nothing at the end of the season which may or may not give you the results you wanted and now sets the franchise back by at least 4 years because they've traded one superstar for a rental who did not re-sign. What a waste of a trade.

4. I agree that the team needs to get more offense and better production. It will either come internally from the guys stepping up or through a trade. I think there are some realistic trades that could be made that could work out. For example, a trade with Colorado involving Connolly or Pominville and Lydman for Marek Svatos and John Michael Liles could easily work. Each team gets an impending UFA and another player under contract for next year, and Buffalo gets a PP QB they've desperately needed since Spacek and Kotalik left. And yes, this is a straight up junk-for-junk deal as Svatos is the Avs Max Afinogenov and Joe Sacco is pretty down on Liles, so a change of scenery could work well for everyone involved. Or perhaps a Connolly for Frolov deal where LA gets a player still under contract for next year while the Sabres get a pretty talented offensive player for not much of a cap hit that is an impending UFA without giving up all that much. I think getting a guy like Shane Doan out of Phoenix given the ownership upheaval there might actually be realistic if they look to shed more salary and may only cost a Gerbe or Ennis and a first round pick, which could really work out well for Buffalo. These seem like more realistic trades, but getting Kovalchuk is unrealistic and would cost way too much just for a rental because there is zero chance he re-signs long term in Buffalo assuming a trade was made.

I think the Sabres need to score more, but Kovalchuk is not the answer to the problem and will only create more problems both short term as well as long term seeing as how he'd only be a rental and nothing more. Second, I like the Sabres chances against any team in the playoffs with Miller in net in a 7 game series. Much more so than a team with Theodore or Varlamov, that's for sure. And, if the Sabres make any trades to improve the offense, it will only be realistic trades and a trade for Kovalchuk involving Vanek and junk is just really not realistic.

To me, the only way the Sabres are going to get any better is if they try even harder. Because the personnel ain't changing.

I absolutely and totally agree! worthy.gif

The game against the Blackhawks will serve as my example.

Recall, we won that game 2 - 1 and Butler, Gaustad, Grier, Miller

didn't play.

More recently, the last 15 goals were scored by 14 different players.

Notwithstanding glaring mistakes, be they unwarranted penalties - whether

self inflicted or ridiculously levied and lapses in judgement/performance, Miller's

all star development and sound defense first game plan methinks has the Sabres

evolving into a SC contender! thumbsup.gif

And, Miller, sounded out to the team yesterday about how we need to get better!

I like that - remind the boys we are a work in progress - keep the focus!

Finally, the team knows they are what they have now and it is resilient and they alll

have the mindset that there is so much more work to be done - I like their chances

of winning it all!

Now the scoring starts!angel.gif

1. I think your facts are mixed up. The Sabres won when Ovechkin played the entire game in Buffalo. They lost 2-0 in the game that he got ejected from and scored the opening goal in Washington. http://www.nesn.com/2009/11/semyon-varlamov-blanks-sabres-20-alex-ovechkin-ejected.html

2. You haven't really disproven that goaltending wins championships. Are Theodore or Varlamov good enough to take the Caps to the Finals? I really don't think so at all. Until there is a major goaltender that can take this team all the way, I don't see it happening. The Caps lost because Fleury outplayed Varlamov. The playoffs are a completely different animal and no matter what you say, history has indicated that defense and goaltending wins Championships in the NHL. Not offensive machines. We have seen time and again high powered offenses lose in the playoffs including the 2006-2007 Sabres. The style of play is completely different come playoff time.

3. There is less than zero chance Kovalchuk will be traded to Buffalo. First, let's assume he does get traded, which won't happen, but let's assume he does. There is zero chance he would sign a long term extension in Buffalo. First, the contract snag he is having with Atlanta is because he is requesting a 10 year $120 million contract. That ain't coming from Buffalo, so no extension here. Second, he won't re-sign with Buffalo given what he has said about Ruff. As long as Quinn is MD, that means Darcy is GM, which means Lindy is coach. Short of missing the playoffs, nothing is changing in terms of coaching and management, so Kovy would never sign an extension. Then, in terms of the actual trade itself, I'm not a huge Vanek fan myself, but why would I ever trade a consistent 40 goal scorer that is under contract for 4 more years after this year and a bunch of spare parts for a rental that I have zero chance of re-signing? Basically, you're trading Vanek, some prospects, some picks, and like a spare part like Lydman or Tallinder for absolutely nothing at the end of the season which may or may not give you the results you wanted and now sets the franchise back by at least 4 years because they've traded one superstar for a rental who did not re-sign. What a waste of a trade.

4. I agree that the team needs to get more offense and better production. It will either come internally from the guys stepping up or through a trade. I think there are some realistic trades that could be made that could work out. For example, a trade with Colorado involving Connolly or Pominville and Lydman for Marek Svatos and John Michael Liles could easily work. Each team gets an impending UFA and another player under contract for next year, and Buffalo gets a PP QB they've desperately needed since Spacek and Kotalik left. And yes, this is a straight up junk-for-junk deal as Svatos is the Avs Max Afinogenov and Joe Sacco is pretty down on Liles, so a change of scenery could work well for everyone involved. Or perhaps a Connolly for Frolov deal where LA gets a player still under contract for next year while the Sabres get a pretty talented offensive player for not much of a cap hit that is an impending UFA without giving up all that much. I think getting a guy like Shane Doan out of Phoenix given the ownership upheaval there might actually be realistic if they look to shed more salary and may only cost a Gerbe or Ennis and a first round pick, which could really work out well for Buffalo. These seem like more realistic trades, but getting Kovalchuk is unrealistic and would cost way too much just for a rental because there is zero chance he re-signs long term in Buffalo assuming a trade was made.

I think the Sabres need to score more, but Kovalchuk is not the answer to the problem and will only create more problems both short term as well as long term seeing as how he'd only be a rental and nothing more. Second, I like the Sabres chances against any team in the playoffs with Miller in net in a 7 game series. Much more so than a team with Theodore or Varlamov, that's for sure. And, if the Sabres make any trades to improve the offense, it will only be realistic trades and a trade for Kovalchuk involving Vanek and junk is just really not realistic.

As much as I love your optimism on the Sabres, I would be a fool to believe the Sabres can beat Wash. or Pitt in the playoffs. You speak of a different set of circumstances all together. If I were to believe this Wash. or Pitt squad won't be the Eastern Conference reps come cup time, I would not be honest with myself as a fan.

For the record, you can quote all of the stats you want, Heck, I did it myself during the Hasek Cup run, it doesn't make a hill of beans what you say. The facts are the facts. Buffalo cannot compete with NJ, Wash., or Pitt come playoff time. Deny the truth if you wish, just another voice I don't care to hear. I prefer honesty, ability to adapt and make moves that increase competitive production and the rare ability to overcome "problomatic" situations with the "addition" of successfully based talent.

Miller is not Hasek, and although he is carrying this team now, it won't last, and no evidence points to him continuing this greatness, nice try though. We would all like to believe Miller is a Hasek Jr. but that just isn't the case. It you want to be honest with hockey fans, post the career numbers of Miller, just another average goalie I'm afraid, hey, NUMBEERS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

In lamens terms. Bring in the f*kin talent, and ship out the useless tanent to achieve a successful run at Lord Stanley's Cup. Anything else is unacceptable.

As much as I love your optimism on the Sabres, I would be a fool to believe the Sabres can beat Wash. or Pitt in the playoffs. You speak of a different set of circumstances all together. If I were to believe this Wash. or Pitt squad won't be the Eastern Conference reps come cup time, I would not be honest with myself as a fan.

For the record, you can quote all of the stats you want, Heck, I did it myself during the Hasek Cup run, it doesn't make a hill of beans what you say. The facts are the facts. Buffalo cannot compete with NJ, Wash., or Pitt come playoff time. Deny the truth if you wish, just another voice I don't care to hear. I prefer honesty, ability to adapt and make moves that increase competitive production and the rare ability to overcome "problomatic" situations with the "addition" of successfully based talent.

Miller is not Hasek, and although he is carrying this team now, it won't last, and no evidence points to him continuing this greatness, nice try though. We would all like to believe Miller is a Hasek Jr. but that just isn't the case. It you want to be honest with hockey fans, post the career numbers of Miller, just another average goalie I'm afraid, hey, NUMBEERS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

In lamens terms. Bring in the f*kin talent, and ship out the useless tanent to achieve a successful run at Lord Stanley's Cup. Anything else is unacceptable.

You're awfully grumpy for xmas.

To be clear, would you trade Vanek, etc. for Kovy without a locked-up extension in place for Kovy?

So a couple of things. First, goaltenders typically don't hit their peak till they turn 28-29. If you look at Hasek's numbers prior to 1993, they are pretty average. Hasek began to hit his prime in 1993 after he turned 28. Miller is just reaching his prime right now, so there is precedent from many goaltenders in the past that Miller is just now hitting his prime as a goalie. Second, if you look at Miller's numbers, they have continuously improved over the last 3 years. Last year, Miller was achieving a career year prior to getting hurt. In fact, the Sabres were 6th in the Conference when he got hurt and his injury totally derailed the team and took them out of the playoffs. The trend line is positive for Miller, so if you want to talk numbers, the statistical trend would indicate that Miller is just hitting his prime and becoming dominant. Having said that, I am not comparing Miller to Hasek. It's impossible to compare and Miller's body of work is significantly less. I can really only compare after Miller's career is over, so I won't make that comparison. I think Hasek was the greatest goalie ever, and I don't think Miller is that, at least not now, time will tell how that turns out. I do think Miller is becoming an elite goalie in the NHL and I think he can carry this team on his shoulders especially in a playoff series where games are tighter and closer. The beauty of the playoffs, is that anything can happen and I've seen some major upsets including Washington getting upset twice in the playoffs the last two years. I remember seeing the Sabres get upset 4-1 by Ottawa. I also remember watching Buffalo come through with a monumental upset of Ottawa 4-1. I remember Buffalo coming through with a monumental upset of a Toronto Maple Leafs team in 1999 to make the Stanley Cup Finals. All it takes is a hot goaltender, and one thing Miller has shown is that he can get hot in the playoffs. In fact, statistically, if you look at the 2006-2007 playoffs, Miller's best series statistically was actually the Ottawa series that they lost. Miller has proven to be a money goal in the playoffs.

Also, please don't be fooled into thinking that I'm 100% comfortable in the way this team is constructed today. I'm not. This team needs more offense, and I'm getting more and more frustrated from floaters like Connolly, Roy, Pominville, and others. Vanek has been highly inconsistent this year, but he can score 40 goals consistently. I want to see more scoring out of this team, and I do think the Sabres should make some trades to increase the scoring. However, what differentiates me from you, is that I'm realistic and know that this management will not make the type of changes you are demanding. I love your optimism on trading for and then signing Kovalchuk to a long term extension, but it ain't happening. There is zero chance it's going to happen, hence I'm being realistic.

I wish you luck in your revolution of driving change in the Sabres management through this message board. Since Darcy Regier pays zero attention to the media criticism from folks like Bucky Gleason, I'm also 100% certain he does not read this message board either. Since you don't care to hear my opinion, then I wish you well in this message board revolution which aside from maybe adding some discussion to the message board I'm pretty sure will lead to absolutely no change in the Sabres management, coaching staff, or roster. But, good luck with the revolution, I hope you are successful!

Archived