[OT] Back to the Peace Bridge design phase...

LabattBlue

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/894454.html

"If everything goes smoothly — and it seldom has during the long-running Peace Bridge project — the new bridge would open in 2017."

I thought the Bruins commercial was the funniest thing I would see all day unitl I read this. 2017...if things go smoothly? :lol:

I heard this on the radio this morning while driving to work - it gave me a chuckle. This whole "new Peace Bridge" thing has been dragging on for more than a decade. If they would have built the "twin span" back when it was originally proposed, it would be old enough to need repainting by now. Another example of why this area will never see major development...for some reason, we can't tolerate unilateral decisions. Every special interest group no matter how small or insignificant has to make sure their opinion is heard and considered, otherwise they file a lawsuit. It's like "Seinfeld" - we worry and fret over excruciating minutia while the rest of the world goes merrily on.

I would really like to see ONE major project in WNY that could get proposed, approved and built in a timely manner. Maybe I will live long enough to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been hearing the phrase "waterfront redevelopment" since I was in high school (> 35 years ago). Although some progress has been made, we're still several YEARS away from the end of that project...and even then, BassPro may no longer be in the picture. Oh, well - if they pull out, we can always build a Long John Silvers there (and maybe a Tim Horton's ;) )

I heard this on the radio this morning while driving to work - it gave me a chuckle. This whole "new Peace Bridge" thing has been dragging on for more than a decade. If they would have built the "twin span" back when it was originally proposed, it would be old enough to need repainting by now. Another example of why this area will never see major development...for some reason, we can't tolerate unilateral decisions. Every special interest group no matter how small or insignificant has to make sure their opinion is heard and considered, otherwise they file a lawsuit. It's like "Seinfeld" - we worry and fret over excruciating minutia while the rest of the world goes merrily on.

I would really like to see ONE major project in WNY that could get proposed, approved and built in a timely manner. Maybe I will live long enough to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been hearing the phrase "waterfront redevelopment" since I was in high school (> 35 years ago). Although some progress has been made, we're still several YEARS away from the end of that project...and even then, BassPro may no longer be in the picture. Oh, well - if they pull out, we can always build a Long John Silvers there (and maybe a Tim Horton's ;) )

See this thread.

We would rather see our treasures rot and fall apart than tear them down and build new treasures. Why do you think Lindy is still the coach.

(...it really does get easier and easier...)

See this thread.

We would rather see our treasures rot and fall apart than tear them down and build new treasures. Why do you think Lindy is still the coach.

(...it really does get easier and easier...)

It's more like "We don't have the money to tear the old stuff down and no reason to build anything new"

Peace bridge is def needed.

My company submitted a renewable energy project to Niagara Falls, after just 4 meetings on the matter the principals of the project decided to go elsewhere specifically due to the intanglements on the political stage in this area. Sad, truly sad indeed.

They did studies and found that the bird will actually fly OVER the bridge. Go figure.

What? Birds using their eyes to go around inanimate objects? Surely you jest? No? :D

At one point in my career, I worked for a defense contractor who built a massive radar in Alaska, back in the seventies. One of the older guys at the company told a story about the first time that radar was turned on... He said that on that day, it was one of the rare clear days, and that the power was turned on not long after the bright sun rose above the horizon. It was truly glorious, and even a colony birds seemed to celebrate the weather by taking flight into the rising sun. Unfortunately, their path took them directly in front of the radar, and scores of birds did not survive the flight across the aperture that day. Or the next. Or the one after that... After about a week, those birds that remained, no longer flew across the front of that radar.

:D

Archived