[OT] Bills targeted to move to LA

frisky

Something about the Jags in a town like J'ville just doesn't seem to mesh. It's like the whole concept of a football franchise in that town doesn't make sense. I know because I lived there before. Sorry, but Jacksonville, IMO, is just not an NFL town.

Not that I disagree, but then why was the team put there in the first place? One thing to think about: If LA built a stadium and the Bills were the team to move there, the NFL would retain Jacksonville as a place to hold a Super Bowl and add LA as well. Not that this holds much sway, but....

Not that I disagree, but then why was the team put there in the first place? One thing to think about: If LA built a stadium and the Bills were the team to move there, the NFL would retain Jacksonville as a place to hold a Super Bowl and add LA as well. Not that this holds much sway, but....

I think Buffalo was a much larger city, relatively speaking, in 1960.

Number 20, in fact:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0027/tab19.txt

In 2000, Buffalo was #37:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_urban_areas

I just don't think LA is a NFL town. How many teams have come and gone through LA? And, if they put in a crappy team, their attendance is going to be crappy. See LA Rams, LA Raiders...not sure about LA Chargers. When it comes to football, all I ever see around is USC or UCLA. Raiders if anything. Never see any Chargers north of southern OC. I don't know. I think it's just another disaster in the making for the NFL. Honestly, I'm amazed the LA Kings are still here. Staples center sucks ass. It's like a masoleum. No character and no atmosphere. How come no one ever talks about the Kings moving? I don't think they can even give tickets away.

Similar to when the Expos were looking at places to relocate and D.C. was the "no-brainer" choice. Everybody said at the time that it's not a baseball city, and sure enough, in spite of an awesome stadium nobody goes to the games or watches on TV. But like metioned earlier, if the $$ is right it will happen anyway.

I think a big thing working against the Bills is the uncertainty of ownership over the next 5+ years.

I don't know. The NFL seems to have hit a sweet spot at 32. The math works with 8 divisions of four. How do you add 1 or even two more teams? Would require major realignments and the end of age old rivalries, and some divisions would have really screwy schedules.

Also, the talent pool is so diluted as it is that a half dozen teams have almost no shot at winning from week to week. There just aren't enough quality quarterbacks, in my estimation, to expand any further. Arguably, there aren't enough to staff the existing teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no further expansion beyond 32 teams. That's not to say that the league wouldn't push any existing franchise looking to move into Buffalo.

I'm too lazy to work on the math, but adding some teams could help them with that idea that pops up every year of extending the regular season. But yeah, adding new teams seems incredibly unlikely in the near future.

I'm convinced that an NBA team would make it's way here if the Bills left town as well.

I have to disagree there. If the Bills leave, it is another nail in the coffin for Buffalo as a major league sports town. It will still be a wonderful place to live and be from, but it will never be considered for another major sports team.

If that did ever happen, I'm guessing a Baltimore-cleveland type of deal would happen. Buffalo would only be without the bills for a short while. Given your stance on the bills, you should root for this scenario. An expansion team would certainly be better than this mess.

I am not saying the Bills will definitely leave—I sure hope they won't—but to hope for them to leave so that Buffalo can have an expansion team is a pipe dream, alas. If the Bills leave, the NFL is never coming back to Buffalo. As hard as it is to think about, Buffalo is not Cleveland. There will be a few vaguely sentimental stories about the Bills, then nothing... ask the former fans of the Canton Bulldogs how having tradition worked out for them.

If that did ever happen, I'm guessing a Baltimore-cleveland type of deal would happen. Buffalo would only be without the bills for a short while. Given your stance on the bills, you should root for this scenario. An expansion team would certainly be better than this mess.

I love Buffalo and I hope for better days. There is no way you can compare Buffalo with cities like Baltimore or Cleveland. Buffalo at this point in it's history would have as much chance of getting another NFL as would Rochester or Syracuse. Buffalo's days as a true NFL city are in the past. Hopefully we can hang on to the Bills long enough for this City and region to rebound.

I have to disagree there. If the Bills leave, it is another nail in the coffin for Buffalo as a major league sports town. It will still be a wonderful place to live and be from, but it will never be considered for another major sports team.

Agreed. Why would a major sports league allow a team to move to a shrinking market?

I love Buffalo and I hope for better days. There is no way you can compare Buffalo with cities like Baltimore or Cleveland. Buffalo at this point in it's history would have as much chance of getting another NFL as would Rochester or Syracuse. Buffalo's days as a true NFL city are in the past. Hopefully we can hang on to the Bills long enough for this City and region to rebound.

I don't know about this. Buffalo (TV market) is bigger than both of those places and that doesn't even take in to account the Canadian viewers. None of the three are growing. I think it would still be Buffalo to get those Candian dollars.

I don't know about this. Buffalo (TV market) is bigger than both of those places and that doesn't even take in to account the Canadian viewers. None of the three are growing. I think it would still be Buffalo to get those Candian dollars.

If the Bills were to leave for, say, LA, why would the NFL not expand into Toronto instead of putting a new team in Buffalo? It makes no sense at this point. Besides, I don't think the Canadian viewers you speak of in the Buffalo market do not mean much to the NFL ... I could be wrong, they do not count as far as ratings which means they do not count as far as luring advertisers. The NFL games broadcast in Canada have Canadian commercials sold by the Canadian networks ... I am sure the NFL gets somethnig for the rights to the games but nothing like what they get here. Now, if they have their own team in the country's biggest market ... now they can get some real money.

Buffalo needs to keep building this "City of Hockey" thing and make themselves into the Green Bay of the NHL. So what if it is not known as a "major-league sports town?" Mos of the country doesn't think of it that way now. And if everyone in or from Buffalo defined themselves by what the rest of the country thinks, we'd all live in igloos and drive snowmobiles to work in July ... Green Bay is romanticized as this great place that loves the Packers and the weather is basically the same as Buffalo, in fact it is colder. It's all about perception, and it's not like the Bills have made people realize what a great place Buffalo is. It will suck, horribly, but it will not be a shock ... may as well make the best of it.

If the Bills were to leave for, say, LA, why would the NFL not expand into Toronto instead of putting a new team in Buffalo? It makes no sense at this point. Besides, I don't think the Canadian viewers you speak of in the Buffalo market do not mean much to the NFL ... I could be wrong, they do not count as far as ratings which means they do not count as far as luring advertisers. The NFL games broadcast in Canada have Canadian commercials sold by the Canadian networks ... I am sure the NFL gets somethnig for the rights to the games but nothing like what they get here. Now, if they have their own team in the country's biggest market ... now they can get some real money.

Buffalo needs to keep building this "City of Hockey" thing and make themselves into the Green Bay of the NHL. So what if it is not known as a "major-league sports town?" Mos of the country doesn't think of it that way now. And if everyone in or from Buffalo defined themselves by what the rest of the country thinks, we'd all live in igloos and drive snowmobiles to work in July ... Green Bay is romanticized as this great place that loves the Packers and the weather is basically the same as Buffalo, in fact it is colder. It's all about perception, and it's not like the Bills have made people realize what a great place Buffalo is. It will suck, horribly, but it will not be a shock ... may as well make the best of it.

I agree completely and was going to say as much but got distracted. I was just pointing out that of the three cities deluca mentioned, Buffalo is still probably out front. I'm not sure how it works either and have always found it sort of fishy in regards to games on TV in Canada. If the games are shown, the NFL is getting paid. Canadian advertisers are paying and their money is just as real (actually more so right now) as ours. Why those ratings don't count is beyond me (maybe "dollars wise" they actually do and that is why we've managed to keep a team even though we are the "51" TV market in the US in a league of 32).

Archived