Who's going to center the 4th line

Barnabov

From the Buff News story today, the top 3 lines are set (at least until halfway through the 1st period of the 1st game when Lindy pulls a Lindy). That leaves Paille, McCormick, Ellis, Kaleta & apparently even Paetsch vying for 4th line duty with Mair coming back at some point to join the mix.

So what's the book on what's going to happen? I see McCormick is really more of a wing than center so does that give Ellis the spot? Seems like they are all wingers - who can play center? Gerbe & Kennedy might get a shot too? Despite Gerbe playing LW isn't he supposed to be a center?

Any clearance at the Defense logjam? Rivet, Butler, Montador & Sekera are probably locks with Lydman & Tallinder too (despite all the groaning on the board about them). Is Di Penta heading for Portland? How's Weber been playing? Would be great for Myers to stay up but only if he's ready.

I'm guessing Miller has an edge on Lalime in the fight for starting goalie :)

First, let me get this out of the way: no, Gerbe is not, nor has he ever been a center (as far back as I can tell.)

Ellis will be fourth-line center until Mair returns. I looked back when we picked him up, but I seem to remember him not being very good at faceoffs. Plus, I someone saying that he was terrible at center, in general. Ellis is an OK center, who is also OK at faceoffs. Mair is better and is Lindy's go to guy there.

Sounds like the same old same old again this year with those lines (except for Grier of course - he's new same old.)

It IS. Damn, it sucks hard right now. I really hate the idea that the same core team that has blown the last two seasons will be OUT THERE AGAIN.

First, let me get this out of the way: no, Gerbe is not, nor has he ever been a center (as far back as I can tell.)

Ellis will be fourth-line center until Mair returns. I looked back when we picked him up, but I seem to remember him not being very good at faceoffs. Plus, I someone saying that he was terrible at center, in general. Ellis is an OK center, who is also OK at faceoffs. Mair is better and is Lindy's go to guy there.

Mair is Lindy's go to guy?

This is Mair's final season here.

He'll be out the door and Guastad will be moved to the 4th line which is more suited to his level of play.

Kennedy or Ennis will be the 3rd line center.

Paille should not be on this roster. I'd rather see McCormick or cowan rather than Danny boy. He has yet to show he will play the body with any regularity.

^This

I like what I've seen from these two, and frankly, Paille just fails to show any consistency. Too bad, because he has the "potential" to be a good Hockey player, just can't seem to put it all together night in and night out.

BTW, seems like Mair is trying to be ready for the team's first game. If he can go, he'll center the 4th.

Can Paille be sent down still?

I was really happy when the team picked up Ellis. Now I'll be really happy if he gets to play full time. Remember - he had better numbers than Max last year. (Is that the right 'than', Ink? :) )

Yes, he's a two way contract player.

Yes, he's a two way contract player.

I don't believe that is the case. Before last year's extension, Paille signed a one year, one way contract. I'm pretty sure the current contract extension that he signed before last season was a one way deal as he is getting paid $1.3 million this season. It is typical that players making over $1 million at the NHL level are not usually under a two way deal. Frankly, I can't think of a single player making over a $1 million that's on a two way contract, that is not an entry-level player.

I don't believe that is the case. Before last year's extension, Paille signed a one year, one way contract. I'm pretty sure the current contract extension that he signed before last season was a one way deal as he is getting paid $1.3 million this season. It is typical that players making over $1 million at the NHL level are not usually under a two way deal. Frankly, I can't think of a single player making over a $1 million that's on a two way contract, that is not an entry-level player.

Must I repeat? It's two way deal. I'd bet my roommate on it.

Must I repeat? It's two way deal. I'd bet my roommate on it.

Is your roommate hot?

You can repeat as much as you want, but I'd like to see the proof that Daniel Paille is on a two way contract. Like shrader said, anyone can be demoted, except those on No Movement Clauses. The question is would Daniel Paille be picked up on waivers, and would his salary be different in the minors? I have not seen any proof that indicates that Daniel Paille has a two way contract. The only thing I have seen was the one year deal he signed before the 2007-2008 season was a one year, one way contract, which I know with 100% certainty. The evidence to prove my statement would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Paille and for that matter, http://www.buffaloautoshow.com/thursday.html

So, we know with 100% certainty that his last contract before the current contract was a one way deal. So, why would he take a two way deal after putting up career numbers in goals in his second RFA contract? So, if you've got any proof that Daniel Paille has a two way contract, I'd love to see it than you repeat yourself till you are blue in the face.

And as for the question of if he can be sent down, anyone can be sent down (as long as they don't have a no movement clause where they'd have to agree to be sent down). The only question is whether or not the player clears waivers, which Paille would have to do.

Blah, blah. We're talking the Sabres here. They will not send anyone down who would be getting paid an NHL level salary.

From the Buff News story today, the top 3 lines are set (at least until halfway through the 1st period of the 1st game when Lindy pulls a Lindy). That leaves Paille, McCormick, Ellis, Kaleta & apparently even Paetsch vying for 4th line duty with Mair coming back at some point to join the mix.

So what's the book on what's going to happen? I see McCormick is really more of a wing than center so does that give Ellis the spot? Seems like they are all wingers - who can play center? Gerbe & Kennedy might get a shot too? Despite Gerbe playing LW isn't he supposed to be a center?

Any clearance at the Defense logjam? Rivet, Butler, Montador & Sekera are probably locks with Lydman & Tallinder too (despite all the groaning on the board about them). Is Di Penta heading for Portland? How's Weber been playing? Would be great for Myers to stay up but only if he's ready.

I'm guessing Miller has an edge on Lalime in the fight for starting goalie :)

If the 3rd line is set I can assume that means Goose and a pair of bangers on the wings.

That'll be a mistake if they stay with that formula for the majority of the season.

4th line center is not a question or concern for me, what they do at 3rd line center will be the most pivotal decision they will make going into this season.

I would prefer Ellis to center the fourth over Mair because Ellis will bring in more points (assuming the same production per game from last season and that he plays Mair's 75+ games).

If we take what LR has said recently:

First line: Clarke MacArthur - Tim Connolly - Jason Pominville

Second line: Thomas Vanek - Derek Roy - Drew Stafford

Third line: Jochen Hecht - Paul Gaustad - Mike Grier

Then the fourth line could be:

Fourth line: Tim Kennedy or Daniel Paille - Matt Ellis - Patrick Kaleta

But, I don't know. It would seem to be a waste to put Kennedy on the fourth line. And I thought Hecht was better than I can recall tonight on the line with Vanek and Roy.

And the Sabres' "checking line" - for shutting down the opposing team's skill line - is slow.

I think LR needs to re-think his approach to ALL of the lines here - I don't agree with any of his "final" decisions yet.

And the Sabres' "checking line" - for shutting down the opposing team's skill line - is slow.

Which line is that?

I'm assuming you are talking about the Gaustad line.

This is a misconception, there is no such thing as all teams having a designated 'checking line' that they send out against opponents skill line.

You need the right type of players for that to work.

In the case of Buffalo, Gaustad is not centering a line that is used for that purpose, and one of the reasons you yourself mentioned, he's too slow and there is no history or evidence of him being a great defensive player.

Most fans for some reason believe that physical play is the same as great defensive play, an example of a great defensive forward ia Datsyuk.

Expect to see the Gaustad line playing mainly against the opponent's less skilled lines.

Which line is that?

This is a misconception, there is no such thing as all teams having a designated 'checking line' that they send out against opponents skill line.

In the case of Buffalo, Gaustad is not centering a line that is used for that purpose, and one of the reasons you yourself mentioned, he's too slow and there is no history or evidence of him being a great defensive player.

Most fans for some reason believe that physical play is the same as great defensive play, an example of a great defensive forward ia Datsyuk.

Expect to see the Gaustad line playing mainly against the opponent's less skilled lines.

Well, no kidding, brainiac. Glad you can step up to the party. While I, personally, don't agree with rolling four themed lines, LR does. LR references the "shut-down guys", the "checking guys", and the "energy guys" frequently enough that it should be no secret he looks at them that way - at least when he speaks publickly.

And, where are you getting this "most fans" stuff from? Sounds like a convenient way to artificially bolster a low self esteem to me.

Which line is that?

The whole Gaustad is slow bit is reminiscent of the satan worshiping guru. He's NOT slow! Certain players look faster than others on TV because you aren't really seeing them skating in relation to other players. Also, Gaustad is 6'4", guys that tall don't need to have there feet flying 100mph to skate the same speed as a gerbe, because their stride is so much longer. The skate blade is in contact with the ice that much longer, meaning they get more push from every stride than someone with shorter legs. Vanek is the same way, never looks like he is skating that fast from an effort standpoint, but does anyone say Vanek is slow?

We get it, you hate Gaustad.

Archived