Which kids are gonna make the opening night roster?

nfreeman

Is anyone gonna force his way in?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these guys (vote for none, any or all) is going to be on the Sabres' roster on opening night? As always, the question is what is going to happen -- not what you want to have happen.

• Myers
    • Weber
    • Gerbe
    • Kennedy
    • Schutz (dark horse)
    • None

Pretty tough call. There is a good argument to be made for each of the first 4. (I included Schutz because he didn't get sent down today even though guys like Ennis and Persson did -- so he must be doing something right). There is also a strong possibility that none of them makes it on opening night.

I voted for Myers because I think DR and LR want to see what he can do for 9-game "free look" and for Kennedy because I think the Sabres need another guy who can create on offense.

EDIT: added "none" as an option.

I voted for Myers because I think DR and LR want to see what he can do for 9-game "free look" and for Kennedy because I think the Sabres need another guy who can create on offense.

I voted for the same without reading who you voted for. They will carry eight defensemen if necessary to give Myers his 9-game look. As for Kennedy, as I've said before, I think that he should make the opening night roster, but I have some doubts that he actually will.

I would love to see them try Kennedy between Roy and Stafford. He seems like more of a pure playmaker than Roy - I see Derek as a decent playmaker and goalscorer, not purely one or the other (for reference: Vanek is a better goal scorer, but no playmaker, and Connolly is more of a pure playmaker, though he did show a bit on the goalscorer side last year) - and we could really use a true sixth top-six forward. Edit: not to mention that oh-so-elusive depth at scoring-line center.

I think Gerbe has looked bad in every game i've seen him play at the NHL level. That counts all pre-season and the games he played last year. I don't see them allowing him to stay when he doesn't preform. Pommer and Roy were send down after poor camps too.

I voted for Kennedy, who before camp i thought he would shock and make opening day roster. And Mike Weber. Despite the poor game vs. Washington, he'd played good and has had good reviews from practices. Unless he does something stupid in his next game, i think he'll be kept and Myers send back to WHL.

I voted none. Here is my post from another thread on this subject...

Unless there is a trade or they risk losing a veteran through waivers as they attempt to send them to Portland, I just don't see where there is any room for Kennedy, Gerbe, Ennis, Schutz(has had a good camp from what I have heard), Weber or Myers. None of these prospects are going to be best served by sitting in NHL press boxes.

14 Forwards - Vanek, Connolly, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, MacArthur, Gaustad, Grier, Hecht, Kaleta, Paille, Ellis, Mair & McCormick(any of the latter 4 are better off in the press box on any given night instead of the youngsters)

7 Defensemen - Rivet, Butler, Lydman, Tallinder, Sekera, Montador & Paetsch

Archived