Where to stay overnight in Buffalo for a Sabres game?

GreenDice

I will be driving from Syracuse to a Saturday night game in October.

I would love to stay in downtown area because of the free train ride to the arena but don't want to spend too much.

Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel that is outside downtown area that offer convenient transportation options?

If not, how much does it cost to park around the arena nowadays?

Thanks in advance.

I will be driving from Syracuse to a Saturday night game in October.

I would love to stay in downtown area because of the free train ride to the arena but don't want to spend too much.

Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel that is outside downtown area that offer convenient transportation options?

If not, how much does it cost to park around the arena nowadays?

Thanks in advance.

How much are you willing to spend?

I've been coming back to Buffalo the last few years for one weekend, usually when we have back-to-back Friday-Saturday games. I've stayed at the Hotel Indigo and the Adam's Mark.

The Indigo was fantastic, classy hotel, and has a shuttle service to South Campus, from where you can take the train down to the game. The Indigo is kinda pricey too.

Adam's Mark is old and kinda shabby, yet decent enough. I'd rather spend the extra money on going downtown and eating well and getting better seats for the game. That being said, the Sunday morning brunch at the Adam's Mark is good value for money.

About $70-$100

The Comfort Suites on Main & Chippewa appears to be the cheapest in the downtown area, but appearances aren't always true. I chose a random weekday, and the hotel website showed a rate of $109. I'll bet you could stay in the Hyatt (Pearl & Huron) for close to that, maybe even the Hampton (Delaware and Chippewa).

When I came up for a couple Bills games last year, I stayed at the Econo Lodge South on Milestrip Rd. in Orchard Park. There is plenty of food options around, and right off the thruway, for quick access to and from Buffalo...Cost me 75 bucks including tax for a 1 queen bed room. The rooms are nothing write home about, but they were clean, beds were moderately comfortable, bathrooms also very clean.

If you are looking for a cheap option away from the city, but with easy access, I would say there. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

EDIT: I now realize that you said you wanted to stay downtown...well, if you end up going away from that idea, this is a solid option :thumbsup:

The Comfort Suites on Main & Chippewa appears to be the cheapest in the downtown area, but appearances aren't always true. I chose a random weekday, and the hotel website showed a rate of $109. I'll bet you could stay in the Hyatt (Pearl & Huron) for close to that, maybe even the Hampton (Delaware and Chippewa).

My son works at this place. If you pm me, I'll give you his name and he'll give you the best rate he can. Its a great place to stay if you are into the bar scene.

This is where my family & I stayed when we came to town for a Sabres and Bills game a few years ago. It is a nice place and close enough to HSBC to make walking to or from the game not too terrible.

My son works at this place. If you pm me, I'll give you his name and he'll give you the best rate he can. Its a great place to stay if you are into the bar scene.

My suggestion: Take TW up on this. It's a nice, comfortable hotel, but their lowest rate is far below the $109 I found. It's in a great area, even just for restaurants (and even family-style restaurants at that; there's a TGIFriday's attached). Free train to the game, too. At $109, it's a stretch, because the full-service hotels in the area are not much more expensive, if they're more expensive at all. But these types of places rarely give their best rate online, or even over the phone; you have to negotiate it. (I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express while my friends stayed at a Hilton at a lower rate. Across the street.) With a discount off of the published rate, it is going to be your best bet.

My suggestion is to go on Priceline and do the name your own price option. I've done this twice when I decide to stay downtown and got a room at Adams Mark both times for $45 and $50.

Priceline seems to be the best option to get good pricing for downtown hotels. I will give that a try.

TW: I might PM you if I can't find something.

Thanks all.

My suggestion is to go on Priceline and do the name your own price option. I've done this twice when I decide to stay downtown and got a room at Adams Mark both times for $45 and $50.

I've gotten $50 rooms at the Adam's Mark from Orbitz too..

I just got a room at Hyatt Regency for $55 (+tax) from Priceline. That is reasonable, I think.

The one downtown @ 2 Fountain Plaza? Yeah, that's pretty freaking reasonable. You're going to be very happy with that deal. You're one block from a major restaurant/bar strip, you have two restaurants in your hotel (including a great steakhouse), and the front door of the hotel is steps from the free train that takes you to HSBC. (If you want to walk it, it's about fifteen minutes, maybe twenty.)

Great find.

Yes. I stayed there once when I had some Hyatt reward points. The hotel room was only average but the location is perfect.

the hyatt's a lot like buffalo -- a once proud institution, now sort of dog-eared and in need of a major face lift -- but, yeah, it is perfectly serviceable as a hotel -- i had heard erarlier this year that snyder got a ~$15MM building loan contract to make a whole slew of improvements.

very solid option - i had family in from out of town who just stayed there - they were pleased.

It's right around the corner from Gabriel's Gate. I got an order of fingers there last year and when they came out I thought they killed an ostrich to make my order. Man I miss Buffalo, the land of no portion control.

very solid option - i had family in from out of town who just stayed there - they were pleased.

I'm in for about 20 games a year and 90% of the time we get the Hyatt off of Priceline for $70 - $ 80 total (including priceline fees) I think we got it for $50 on 10/3. Comfort is awesome if you're travelling with another guy as you can pull out the couch and shut the parlor doors - its like having 2 rooms.

With priceline, the further in advance you make the reservations the cheaper (usually) it is. I don't think Comfort is on priceline anymore.

I'm in for about 20 games a year and 90% of the time we get the Hyatt off of Priceline for $70 - $ 80 total (including priceline fees) I think we got it for $50 on 10/3. Comfort is awesome if you're travelling with another guy as you can pull out the couch and shut the parlor doors - its like having 2 rooms.

With priceline, the further in advance you make the reservations the cheaper (usually) it is. I don't think Comfort is on priceline anymore.

Is that what it's called now?

rut row

the hyatt's a lot like buffalo -- a once proud institution, now sort of dog-eared and in need of a major face lift -- but, yeah, it is perfectly serviceable as a hotel -- i had heard erarlier this year that snyder got a ~$15MM building loan contract to make a whole slew of improvements.

It's no longer dog-eared or in need of a major face lift. The improvements are done, and the place is good. $59 a night would have been a bargain before the improvements.

Archived