The General is going to arbitration

2ForTripping

While I am not advocating MacArthur getting a huge increase in salary, I think way too many folks here are tossing him to the curb with no regrets. In his first full season as a Sabre getting bounced around from line to line to the press box, he scored 17 goals which put him 6th best on the club and only 3 behind Stafford and Pominville for the season. I'd give him another year and see if he is able to make the leap to 2nd line winger. I don't think it is a given that Gerbe or Kennedy come up and score at the same pace.

I'd focus more on getting rid of the dead weight or locker room primadonnas who have been Sabre regulars for 3- 4+ years before worrying about throwing away a potential scoring line winger who at times showed a good work ethnic along with a knack for scoring goals. Young players are going to be inconsistent.

Good post.

Ric could have used a little more Mike Bossy.... ;)

Bossy was amazing. Seiling was a decent player, but I've never seen a pure goal-scorer like Bossy.

Ouch.....that's true.

The Sabres passed on him. I heard that every year throughout the 80's. :lol:

they also drafted good 'ol Ron Areshenkoff right before John Tonelli in the 2nd round. HAHA Now, that is a one two punch to the gut.

Outstanding draft reference! One that I have tried to forget over the years.

You know, Bossy had a personal high 38 penalty minutes in the 84-85 season... He must have been roid raging that year. :lol:

I'm not writing the guy off.........but I think a one year contract would be okay with not much beyond the 10% RFA raise.

Andrew Peters filed for Arbitration every year he was eligible and ended up getting something like $10,000 above the 10% raise before it went to a hearing.

10K x 3 ain't a bad little bonus when you have a limited shelf life.

It's not the scoring touch that hurts MacArthur at all.....he needs to show a little more Ric Seiling in his two way game if he is to have a solid future.

When it comes down to it, yeah, he's a young player, and 17 goals in 71 games isn't horrible for a kid. But it isn't worth a ton, either, and if he gets 10K over a 10% raise, fine, keep him. He's still a prospect in my eyes. If he gets anything over $1.5M, let him go (and that would nearly triple his salary from last year, which is why he went to arb to begin with). Between 900K and $1.4M (the realistic range IMO), there's a decision to make, but I'd rather see the Sabs bring up another kid. I just don't see star status in MacArthur.

___

The Seiling/Bossy thing always is a nice bring-down when we're happy. But about Bossy: 38 PIM? Not tough enough for some fans on this board. But, he had a goalie who could take care of himself, right? (I'm ducking, DeLuca; throw whatever you want at me.)

Somewhat kidding. There were some badasses on those Isles teams, right? I mean, they had a guy named Butch Goring. A guy with a name like that would easily pick up 200 PIM, right?

Or maybe 20 or less, despite his name. That Islanders team was so, so tough, but it never had a real bruiser (Sutter? Nystrom? come on), and that was during the early 80s.

We have an entire line that was obsolete thirty years ago.

When it comes down to it, yeah, he's a young player, and 17 goals in 71 games isn't horrible for a kid. But it isn't worth a ton, either, and if he gets 10K over a 10% raise, fine, keep him. He's still a prospect in my eyes. If he gets anything over $1.5M, let him go (and that would nearly triple his salary from last year, which is why he went to arb to begin with). Between 900K and $1.4M (the realistic range IMO), there's a decision to make, but I'd rather see the Sabs bring up another kid. I just don't see star status in MacArthur.

___

The Seiling/Bossy thing always is a nice bring-down when we're happy. But about Bossy: 38 PIM? Not tough enough for some fans on this board. But, he had a goalie who could take care of himself, right? (I'm ducking, DeLuca; throw whatever you want at me.)

Somewhat kidding. There were some badasses on those Isles teams, right? I mean, they had a guy named Butch Goring. A guy with a name like that would easily pick up 200 PIM, right?

Or maybe 20 or less, despite his name. That Islanders team was so, so tough, but it never had a real bruiser (Sutter? Nystrom? come on), and that was during the early 80s.

Good stat about Goring... Yet, Bossy won the Lady Bing many times. Bossy played with Trottier and Gilles. Gilles had a mean streak and Trottier was a hard-nosed guy.

___

Oh, and Darcy Regier was a NY Islander during the cup years (for 11 games).

Ouch.....that's true.

The Sabres passed on him. I heard that every year throughout the 80's. :lol:

Imagine if the intertubes were alive back then. Deluca would have an aneurism by 1985.

Archived