Is A Trade Brewing?

PTS

According to the AHL website, Mika has been recalled. An imminent trade is the only speculation I have because he's allowed to stay down in Rochester for two weeks. He hasn't even been there for one full week.

Plus, if you have Kalinin and Connolly coming back, you need that extra roster spot before the limit goes up after the trading deadline.

Should be an interesting few days.

I thought I read that when Mika agreed to go down, the Sabres told him it would only be for the two games. Trading Mika is the wrong move. With a team that has a salary budget under 30 million, I find it hard to believe that they want to tie up 2+ million on your backup goalie.

I thought I read that when Mika agreed to go down, the Sabres told him it would only be for the two games. Trading Mika is the wrong move. With a team that has a salary budget under 30 million, I find it hard to believe that they want to tie up 2+ million on your backup goalie.

Do you think either Mika or Marty are long term backups? I am thinking both will be gone by next fall...

Do you think either Mika or Marty are long term backups? I am thinking both will be gone by next fall...

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "long term" backup. Typically, #2 guys bounce around every few years. That being said, I don't see Marty as a long term backup because of his salary. Therefore the question is, when can you get the most in return for him? I believe the answer is right now. Is the Mika the answer as a #2? I believe he would be adequate for the next couple of years until he is a UFA.

Plus, if you have Kalinin and Connolly coming back, you need that extra roster spot before the limit goes up after the trading deadline.

Should be an interesting few days.

Last night on WGR's pregame show Paul Hamilton said that he's pretty sure that niether Kalinin nor Connolly would be returning to the roster before the trade deadline. Even if they were ready physically, in order to bring one of them back (assuming no one else gets injured) the Sabres would have to send someone through waivers to do so, and that's a move that the Sabres most likely would not make. Plus, it's really only another 4 days or so until the deadline, when you have an "unlimited" roster (of course, you still have to stay under the cap).

The buff news article by Bucky Gleason (not that he knows jack) surprised me, as Bucky indicated the sabes were trying to unload Noronen when they sent out a fax to all 30 NHL teams notifying them that Noronen was playing back-to-back games for the Amerks over the weekend...

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060305/1049645.asp

Was Kalinen ever IR'ed? If he was, no one was called up to take his place. Our only reserves right now are Peters and Noronen. When Kalinen comes back, no one needs to be sent down. When Connolly comes back, good bye Peters. The goalie situation becomes an issue of both Connolly and Mair return to the active roster.

The story i had from a guy in the know from Rochester, was that Noronen played Friday Night, and then called Buffalo and said, they had 3 options..... trade him, make him backup in Buffalo, or he's going to Finland.

Sopposetly, the Sabres are tired of his sh!t and will try to deal him or he will go to Finland, but from what i heard, they don't plan on making Mika the backup in Buffalo.

Take it for what it's worth.

Guest Guest

The story i had from a guy in the know from Rochester, was that Noronen played Friday Night, and then called Buffalo and said, they had 3 options..... trade him, make him backup in Buffalo, or he's going to Finland.

Sopposetly, the Sabres are tired of his sh!t and will try to deal him or he will go to Finland, but from what i heard, they don't plan on making Mika the backup in Buffalo.

The line about dealing with his sh!t is surprising to me, because all we've heard is how great he has been in dealing with the logjam, how he hasn't become a distraction, etc. If he has soured, reached his breaking point and has started becoming poison in the LR, then they need to get him out one way or the other. Not being privy to what Regier & co. are telling them (Biron and Noronen), I can only imagine how frustrated Noronen is getting - he probably sees Darcy's "patience" as inaction, and is frustrated at losing a year off his career. Can't say I blame him much.

The line about dealing with his sh!t is surprising to me, because all we've heard is how great he has been in dealing with the logjam, how he hasn't become a distraction, etc. If he has soured, reached his breaking point and has started becoming poison in the LR, then they need to get him out one way or the other. Not being privy to what Regier & co. are telling them (Biron and Noronen), I can only imagine how frustrated Noronen is getting - he probably sees Darcy's "patience" as inaction, and is frustrated at losing a year off his career. Can't say I blame him much.

Sorry - that was me - forgot to sign in.

Tired of what Sh!t? The kid doesn't want to rot in the press box. Mika is going to be a solid goalie in this league if he could just get his chance. Look at what Hasek and Roloson have done after getting their chances after a long stint on the bench.

roloson hasn't really been that great... yes he had been deep in the playoffs before but its not like he's solid from year to year. They need that one, two punch from fernandez and roloson to be able to even be close to successful. Having a one, two punch like miller and biron is quite awsome. the only down side i see to it is biron's massive salary for a back up.

The buff news article by Bucky Gleason (not that he knows jack) surprised me, as Bucky indicated the sabes were trying to unload Noronen when they sent out a fax to all 30 NHL teams notifying them that Noronen was playing back-to-back games for the Amerks over the weekend...

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060305/1049645.asp

+

how dare you mention a fax machine without a fax machine joke!

Archived