Quick Hits...

BamBam

Good post, and I can't disagree with any of it. My point was simply that the Sabres have made many, many worse blunders in the last 3 years than the TC extension.

Can't argue with you there. For example:

Max Afinogenov

2008-09 48GP 6G 14A 20P -7

2007-08 56GP 10G 18A 28P -16

Avg. Cap Hit: $3.33 million

Avg. Salary: $3.50 million

Let's say Timmy performs roughly the same as the past two years during this new contract:

Tim Connolly (Est.)

2009-10 48GP 7G 33A 40P +4

2010-11 48GP 18G 29A 47P +12

Avg. Cap Hit: $4.50 million

Avg. Salary: $4.50 million

Yeah, Max was far worse over that period than Timmy would be should he continue as before, even at $1 million more per year. For $3.33/$3.50 million, we could have added a skilled Center/Winger, who could have been a backup plan at scoring-line center when Timmy was hurt.

Peca -Injuries

16-Apr-09 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).

12-Mar-09 Missed 4 games (jaw injury).

17-Oct-08 Suspended by the NHL for 5 games for physical abuse of officials.

09-Mar-08 Missed 1 game (knee injury).

03-Jan-08 Missed 5 games (concussion).

23-Dec-07 Missed 2 games (strained pectoral muscle).

23-Nov-07 Missed 6 games (groin).

10-Oct-07 Missed 2 games (groin).

09-Apr-07 Missed the last 46 games of the regular season (fractured tibia).

18-Oct-06 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).

07-Mar-06 Missed 6 games (hip injury).

02-Feb-06 Missed 1 game (sinusitis).

11-Nov-05 Missed 4 games (mild concussion).

02-Mar-04 Missed 2 games (left leg injury).

31-Jan-04 Missed 3 games (chest injury).

03-Jan-04 Missed 1 game (groin strain).

14-Nov-02 Missed 5 games (left knee surgery).

02-Nov-02 Missed 10 games (left knee surgery).

30-Apr-02 Missed the last 2 games of Round One against Toronto (sprained knee).

17-Oct-01 Missed 2 games (mild concussion).

29-Aug-01 Signed by the New York Islanders.

I can see your point, he's much less fragile than Connolly.

edit: forgot this :rolleyes: and this: Peca post lockout .4 pts a game, Timmay .89 pts per game, done with you.

Isn't this about as many games as Timmy has missed since the lockout?

Well, that's not going to happen. On the other hand, I was thinking about the screenname 'MentallySoftPussies'. I believe it fits this team a little better.

I just saw a great new word (to me anyway) some might enjoy using to describe this era of Sabres hockey -- a port manteau if I'm not mistaken.

Vaginasty

The articles seemed to be just fluff pieces. Nothing that hasn't been discussed on this board for some time now. It would have been nice if they had taken a realistic approach to what they were trying to do. The only people in WNY that don't know what the Sabres needs are appear to be Quinn and Regier. Hopefully in the next two weeks the light goes on in the offices of the HSBC and Status Quo finally gets it. It's not hard, toughness, talent and accountability. Address those three issues and turn this franchise around.

In case you haven't noticed, writers at the Buffalo News have all the hard-hitting journalistic impact of a worn throw pillow. With all the crap that has been going on in the city of Buffalo and in New York State in the past few years, you'd think someone on staff there would come up with a decent muck-raking type article. And they wonder why they can't sell newspapers...... :rolleyes:

TC had 18 goals and 47 points in 48 games last year. I'm certainly not going to pretend he doesn't have a highly distressing injury history, but I also think he stayed healthy last year after he came back, and that 80 pts isn't unrealistic for him for next year. And you can't seriously compare Connolly, who was the Sabres' best forward in the 2nd half of the season, to Max, who has fallen completely off the table.

The "Darcy can't let go of TC because of the Peca trade" theory is nonsense. Darcy needs the Sabres to win this year or he's going to get canned. He's a grownup and he understands this. He's not going to commit a big chunk of money to TC or anyone else for any reason other than thinking it will lead to a winning team.

As for Drury and Grier -- yes, they chose to leave. That doesn't mean the Sabres couldn't have kept them if they had handled it correctly. You can certainly refuse to believe this, but I'm not sure why you would.

Tim Connolly - the NHL's all-time leading scorer in imaginary games played. I'm serious, if this kid never plays another game he will be the NHL Hall of Fame.

Tim Connolly - the NHL's all-time leading scorer in imaginary games played. I'm serious, if this kid never plays another game he will be the NHL Hall of Fame.

Gotta admit -- this is funny.

Right up there with Games People Think Ryan Miller Stole.

Gotta admit -- this is funny.

Right up there with Games People Think Ryan Miller Stole.

Back to back gems. :thumbsup:

I just saw a great new word (to me anyway) some might enjoy using to describe this era of Sabres hockey -- a port manteau if I'm not mistaken.

Vaginasty

Which leads me to ask where exactly would one come across a word like that? Shegotstankcooter.com?

The team has a big deficit in the toughness category. I would expand the criticism more broadly to include a lack of heart and desire.

The team's with heart and desire almost always have the determination to display toughness and grit. The Sabres had way more games showing a complete lack of heart and desire than games where they did show it. Did you watch last season?

There were way too many games without the effort. "Superstar" talent is virtually useless without the workers and grinders. The team needs players willing to work and sacrifice night after night. Currently, they don't have the necessary effort.

It's time for the overpaid softies to leave town!

The 2009 draft is now complete. I am glad to see that the Sabres organization drafted to add the size and toughness that was so absent. Hopefully these prospects will pan out over time.

Next step: weed out the overpaid floaters.

I know this is easier said than done.

Also, stop giving up draft picks for rental players.

The 2009 draft is now complete. I am glad to see that the Sabres organization drafted to add the size and toughness that was so absent. Hopefully these prospects will pan out over time.

Next step: weed out the overpaid floaters.

I know this is easier said than done.

Also, stop giving up draft picks for rental players.

Too bad (atleast in some peoples eyes) that Darcy won't be around in a couple seasons when these guys finally get there chance to mov up into the NHL

Archived