What if Darcy's phone rings on Thursday...

deluca67

PTS, that's pretty low. I went throu and read sme of the other posts in this sight and found some really bad ones. You don't think an expereienced goaldie could help this young sabres team? I do

So replace the three headed goalie, with the 4 headed goalie in case our starter and backup get injured? What happens if he gets hurt too?

As to an earlier post, I disagree with the statement that the refs are going to stop calling penalties in the playoffs. The league has made it very clear that this obstruction crackdown is here to stay. The league would be shooting itself in the foot if all of the sudden come playoff time when the sport gets a lot more media coverage if the clutchers and the grabbers were allowed to do whatever they want. While some obstruction has creeped back in, I think Stephen Walkom has done a great job keeping it in check. That is why teams built for the old NHL (Toronto anyone?) continue to struggle. One of the reasons the NHL has come back so strong after the lockout is the obstruction crackdown, it is not going to go away come playoff time...and to build a team assuming it will would be foolish.

Guest Meet me at the zoo

The goalie is the most important player on the ice. You do know the game is played on ice? We wouldn't have 4 goalies we would have three. Noronen isn't an NFL goalie yet and might never be. Having the security of two solid back ups will carry us deep into the playoffs. Why do you think the sabres lost in 99?

your one to talk..... christ you make enough falty, untrue, not a chance in hell rumours to cover the entire internet... that was his opinion...

Saber61 -- thanks for the backup. You are correct -- that was just my opinion.

ToddKaz -- it was just my opinion, but I think it's a reasonable assessment given that Connolly was leading the team in scoring and leading all forwards in ice time when he was hurt.

The goalie is the most important player on the ice. You do know the game is played on ice? We wouldn't have 4 goalies we would have three. Noronen isn't an NFL goalie yet and might never be. Having the security of two solid back ups will carry us deep into the playoffs. Why do you think the sabres lost in 99?

Yes, we all know the goalie is the most important player on the ice. We currently have 3 of them, which everyone regards as one too many. If we brought in another, that would be 4. Having a solid backup in the playoffs will only come into play if there is an injury. Once playoff time rolls around Miller is going to be starting every game. Are you really trying to argue that the Sabres didn't win the cup in '99 because of goaltending? Please tell me you're not.

So, let's say that the Sabres trade away some of their depth to bring in another goaltender, that still leaves us needing another defenseman. So we should make another move and trade away more players? The point of a trade is to make up for a weakness...we have one, at the blueline, not in between the pipes.

So Noronen isn't NHL calibre yet? You can make that judgement based on the 4 games he has played this year? 2 of those games you can't blame him at all. The Ottawa game he got thrown in there, and the SJ game, the rest of the team didn't show up. So that leaves us with Boston and the Rangers. So in the Boston game, he gave up 2 goals and looked solid, and the Rangers game, he gave up 2 goals and played an amazing game. In fact, can we really even blame him for the 2nd goal? He pulled his groin and lost a lot of lateral movement.

Let's take a look at his stats, side by side with Biron's:

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey...player.cgi?1110

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey...player.cgi?0125

Last season his GAA was slightly higher and his save % was slightly lower, so while Biron was better, it was not by much. Sure Biron has put up better numbers. But we're not arguing about who should be the starting goalie, we're discussing who the best backup would be. I would feel pretty confident in Noronen to give Miller a night off here and there down the stretch.

Just another thought, is that Noronen is finally at the age when many goaltenders finally finish developing. He's 26 years old, and he really hasn't gotten a chance all year. He has been the odd man out. I think the Boston and Rangers games showed us what he was truly capable of, and that would lead me to believe that if we get the right deal, Biron should be traded, and under no circumstances whatsoever should we bring in another goaltender.

If you're playing the third or fourth goalie? It doesn't matter, you're done.

Instead of investing in a fourth goalie? I think the Sabres need a second mascot. The Bisons have Buster and Chip Bison. They might be on to something.

You might be on to something there. I mean Sabretooth does repel in at the beginning of each home game. The chance for injury may be quite high.

So replace the three headed goalie, with the 4 headed goalie in case our starter and backup get injured? What happens if he gets hurt too?

As to an earlier post, I disagree with the statement that the refs are going to stop calling penalties in the playoffs. The league has made it very clear that this obstruction crackdown is here to stay. The league would be shooting itself in the foot if all of the sudden come playoff time when the sport gets a lot more media coverage if the clutchers and the grabbers were allowed to do whatever they want. While some obstruction has creeped back in, I think Stephen Walkom has done a great job keeping it in check. That is why teams built for the old NHL (Toronto anyone?) continue to struggle. One of the reasons the NHL has come back so strong after the lockout is the obstruction crackdown, it is not going to go away come playoff time...and to build a team assuming it will would be foolish.

Once again Hopeless, excellent post.

^^^Don't even bother responding to that...the person is obviously messing with everyone on here, because no one could be this retarded without doing it on purpose.

Anyway, as I have been saying all along, bring in a defenseman who is physical and smart. If you need to move a goalie and Grier or Pyatt or whatever, just do it. Actually on second thought, adding Grier or Pyatt probably worsens the deal for the team that we are trading with. But for God's sake just get Fitzpatrick off of the ice!

^^^Don't even bother responding to that...the person is obviously messing with everyone on here, because no one could be this retarded without doing it on purpose.

Anyway, as I have been saying all along, bring in a defenseman who is physical and smart. If you need to move a goalie and Grier or Pyatt or whatever, just do it. Actually on second thought, adding Grier or Pyatt probably worsens the deal for the team that we are trading with. But for God's sake just get Fitzpatrick off of the ice!

As much criticism as Grier gets, I still think he excells at the important thankless tasks. He is very strong on the PK, and a great forechecker. Also, his leadership brings a lot to this team. I am glad he is here, and wouldn't want to lose him at the deadline. Although if the deal was right, you could convince me. ;)

why did we lose.... well its quite elementary... foot in the crease... thats why we lost.

Archived