An Absolute Travesty

SabresFan526

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1549851

I know many here do not like his play and found him looking old on the ice and all, but it is in absolute travesty that Teppo was not a finalist for the Masterton Trophy. It is an absolute travesty. How can a guy who comes back and plays hockey after missing an entire season due to heart surgery and a near death experience not considered a finalist for the Masterton? I can accept Zednik and Sullivan. But Chelios? Seriously? What has he done to justify being a Masterton finalist besides playing virtually no games this season? This is just idiotic. It's tough to find a better guy, better person, and a better sportsman than Teppo. This is just ridiculous. He embodies everything that the Masterton Trophy stands for and he's not even a finalist. Totally bogus.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1549851

I know many here do not like his play and found him looking old on the ice and all, but it is in absolute travesty that Teppo was not a finalist for the Masterton Trophy. It is an absolute travesty. How can a guy who comes back and plays hockey after missing an entire season due to heart surgery and a near death experience not considered a finalist for the Masterton? I can accept Zednik and Sullivan. But Chelios? Seriously? What has he done to justify being a Masterton finalist besides playing virtually no games this season? This is just idiotic. It's tough to find a better guy, better person, and a better sportsman than Teppo. This is just ridiculous. He embodies everything that the Masterton Trophy stands for and he's not even a finalist. Totally bogus.

Passion for the Masterton? Ummm..... Okay.....

Near death experience? I never saw it explained like that? Did he see the river Jordan?

Passion for the Masterton? Ummm..... Okay.....

Near death experience? I never saw it explained like that? Did he see the river Jordan?

It's not so much the award as it is the lack of respect people are showing to the Sabres even when one of their players deserves to be a finalist for the award. Neither Sullivan nor Zednik's teams made the playoffs. I just don't understand what Chelios could have done to be a finalist? He didn't even play much this year anyway.

As for near death, I don't know, when you're dealing with replacing a heart valve, it can get pretty iffy. Maybe I'm the only one who sees cardiology related diagnoses as somewhat life threatening.

It's not so much the award as it is the lack of respect people are showing to the Sabres even when one of their players deserves to be a finalist for the award. Neither Sullivan nor Zednik's teams made the playoffs. I just don't understand what Chelios could have done to be a finalist? He didn't even play much this year anyway.

As for near death, I don't know, when you're dealing with replacing a heart valve, it can get pretty iffy. Maybe I'm the only one who sees cardiology related diagnoses as somewhat life threatening.

The Masterton doesn't really require an illness or injury at all. But it has become associated with comeback from physical ailments. I think a lot have won it without ever being sick or injured. Maybe Chico Resch and Lanny McDonald, and Stevie Y didn't have anything wrong with them at all.

The Masterton doesn't really require an illness or injury at all. But it has become associated with comeback from physical ailments. I think a lot have won it without ever being sick or injured. Maybe Chico Resch and Lanny McDonald, and Stevie Y didn't have anything wrong with them at all.

You're probably right with Resch and McDonald, however when Stevie Y won the award, it was during the season he missed 66 games after the osteotomy procedure that re-aligned his knee. It has in the past not been given to players who did not come back from injury, however in recent memory, it has pretty much been given to players that have comeback from severe injuries. The recent precedent would indicate that Teppo would be a great candidate and a finalist for the award.

Okay to start, it's awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.

Guys have won for various reasons. Leaving Teppo out, meh, he's overcome things but not seen as a symbol of hockey like Chelios. Chelios probably on there because has the record for most playoff games, oldest active player to win a Cup,

second to Howe in most seasons played, like 4th most games played ever, etc...

I'd go with Zednik, dude almost died on the ice.

You're probably right with Resch and McDonald, however when Stevie Y won the award, it was during the season he missed 66 games after the osteotomy procedure that re-aligned his knee. It has in the past not been given to players who did not come back from injury, however in recent memory, it has pretty much been given to players that have comeback from severe injuries. The recent precedent would indicate that Teppo would be a great candidate and a finalist for the award.

I think I remember Chico, because that was a year everyone thought #11 should have won it because of his knee rehab.

And the day Zednik gets nominated he signs a two-year contract with Yarolsavl of the KHL.

I hereby pull my nomination.

His contract's up, so he's free to do whatever he wants. And who knows, the run in with death may have given him reason to return home.

And the day Zednik gets nominated he signs a two-year contract with Yarolsavl of the KHL.

I hereby pull my nomination.

The trophy is a reward for dedication to ice hockey, not dedication to the NHL.

His contract's up, so he's free to do whatever he wants. And who knows, the run in with death may have given him reason to return home.

I believe Zednik is from Slovakia, not Russia, so I'm not sure he's going home necessarily. However, I do feel he probably enjoyed playing with Alexei Yashin so much during his short stint with the Islanders that he probably wanted to play with him again and hence the signing with Yaroslav Lokomotiv :rolleyes: .

I believe Zednik is from Slovakia, not Russia, so I'm not sure he's going home necessarily. However, I do feel he probably enjoyed playing with Alexei Yashin so much during his short stint with the Islanders that he probably wanted to play with him again and hence the signing with Yaroslav Lokomotiv :rolleyes: .

Yashin. Who can pass that up? :lol:

I'm sorry if this is poor taste, but hasn't the dude heard of Alexei Cherepanov?

Eastern Europe vs. the US. I'll stick with the closer to home thing at this point. Hell, maybe he did just want more money. The guy has earned that right at this point.

Apparently not Carol Alt.

But did she follow him to Russia? :unsure:

As for Teppo getting snubbed, go figure. I guess that's what happens when you sell your own hockey equipment company that your own father started. j/k.

Archived