Montreal fans

jayg

They are just jealous that half our anthem isn't sung in a language that half of the country can't understand. Edit: this is just a joke. I love the Canadian Anthem. A beautiful song, and I respect it at the games as much as I do my own. The only difference is where my hands go: Star Spangled banner hand on heart, Oh Canada hands behind back.

It's disgusting to boo anyone's anthem when you are attending a sports contest.

I remember when I was a kid and the "hated" Russians came to town for their tour. I thought their anthem was a great tune, even though they were "commies"

I didn't boo their anthem and at that time the Russians weren't all that friendly on the world scene.

It's a game. But don't boo the anthem.

It has happened before, in 2004 to be exact, against Boston. This is how the Bruins fans responded...

Was the 2004 incident in response to some global politics decision made by the U.S. or something?

Also, I was just talking to my roommate about this... same thing happened with Carolina and Edmonton three years ago as well. Canada's was booed in Raleigh, then in Edmonton the fans belted out both loudly with cheering. Can't fidn video link.

Was the 2004 incident in response to some global politics decision made by the U.S. or something?

Also, I was just talking to my roommate about this... same thing happened with Carolina and Edmonton three years ago as well. Canada's was booed in Raleigh, then in Edmonton the fans belted out both loudly with cheering. Can't fidn video link.

I honestly have no idea. I will say this, though, on the anthems. To me, the playing of the national anthems has always been a way of putting athletics into perspective. For all the references to "war" and "battle" that sports evoke, the playing of the anthems plays tribute to the true heroes who have made their respective countries what they are. This is not restricted to soldiers, but is open to anyone who has made a contribution to his or her country. Professional hockey, and sports in general, is a part of culture, but it is certainly not the defining factor in what makes a person proud to be from a certain country.

So, when I hear a crowd of people booing a national anthem I get the feeling that a few people (because I doubt everyone in the crowd decided to boo, but rather only did so due to peer pressure) in the crowd are either ignorant, xenophobic, or just don't have their priorities in order. In a crowd of roughly 20,000 people there are bound to be a few nuts in attendance. In a place like Carolina, where an opposing country is not just a short car ride away, I can see how ignorance toward other countries, and thus their anthem, could occur. However in Montreal, where people eat sleep, and breathe hockey, it seems like maybe the sport is taken a little too seriously. Either that or they really hate Boston.

Gainey says don't Boo US anthem.

"I feel like there's a confusion there with our fans," Gainey said Tuesday. "They feel like booing the anthem is supporting our team, in that the anthem represents the Boston team.

"And I think if they could separate those two things, then we could respect the anthem of the United States of America and they could still participate loudly in whatever way they want to disrupt the Bruins."

Boston leads the best-of-seven Eastern Conference series 3-0 and can complete a sweep with a victory Wednesday night.

Many fans booed the U.S. anthem at the Bell Centre on Monday night, even though others tried to drown them out with chants of, "Go Habs go."

The same booing has been heard during the playoffs in recent years. In the past, the Canadiens responded with a taped appeal on the scoreboard from Canadiens great Jean Beliveau asking fans to respect both national anthems, and there would be less booing at subsequent games.

Instead of playing the tape again, the team said it is counting on Gainey's appeal.

When told of Gainey's statement, Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas said "that sounds like a very classy thing he did." Thomas, of Flint, Mich., was not put off by the booing.

Rest of story- http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4087139

Very low class and sad to see. I always respect other country's national anthems. Sad to see sportmanship and respect dip to these low levels' , love your team but respect the game , is it really that hard.

Note I did like Grapes support of and what/how Boston handled it by cheering during it in Boston.

Archived