Next Jersey Retirement

Hawk

uhhhh....Hasek?

PTR

Hasek still playing. Too many bad feelings for Dom in this city at the moment. I can see it maybe being 5 or more years in the future. Not now. Rammer the 1 :)

I agree that Dom will get the honor of his jersey being retired. But we have Jerseys from the 70's and 90's now, but none from the 80's. There were a lot of great players who bled blue and gold from that decade, (Ramsey being my 1st pick as you know). Dom will get raised, yes. He was a great player, but not a great Sabre. IMHO. I will not get a chill for him when he goes up, as I did for the current Sabres whose jerseys have been retired.

Dom will get raised, yes. He was a great player, but not a great Sabre. IMHO. I will not get a chill for him when he goes up, as I did for the current Sabres whose jerseys have been retired.

you're kidding, right? I think we all HAVE to look past the summer of 2001 because that was when it became apparent that the rigas crime was in full unravel mode. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time, i hated peca and hasek for what "they" did to the sabres. Looking back, they were the only two to take a public stand against rigas. When i think back on Hasek, i will completely erase the penguins series and the press conference from my memory. Dominik Hasek was the best player to ever wear a sabres jersey, and the best goalie in the 100 or so year history of the NHL. That's deserving enough in my book.

you're kidding, right? I think we all HAVE to look past the summer of 2001 because that was when it became apparent that the rigas crime was in full unravel mode. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time, i hated peca and hasek for what "they" did to the sabres. Looking back, they were the only two to take a public stand against rigas. When i think back on Hasek, i will completely erase the penguins series and the press conference from my memory. Dominik Hasek was the best player to ever wear a sabres jersey, and the best goalie in the 100 or so year history of the NHL. That's deserving enough in my book.

The day Hasek retires (again :P ) his jersey should go up. Hasek is the greatest pro athelete to ever wear a Buffalo uniform.

As far as who's next? I heard his name come up and I agree. Scotty Bowman. He won a ton of games in Buffalo.

Deluca, you bring up a good point about best pro athlete.

I remember an ESPN poll a few years ago and hasek beat out perrault, lafontaine, bruce smith, jim kelly, thurman, oj, and tasker, by a mile. As for bowman, eh... He wasn't a player. They could do a ring of honor though, for all the sabres hall of famers. That would be neat.

Deluca, you bring up a good point about best pro athlete.

I remember an ESPN poll a few years ago and hasek beat out perrault, lafontaine, bruce smith, jim kelly, thurman, oj, and tasker, by a mile. As for bowman, eh... He wasn't a player. They could do a ring of honor though, for all the sabres hall of famers. That would be neat.

What the Sabres should do is build an actual 'Sabres Hall of Fame' at the HSBC. They could charge fans a buck and sell merchandise that could be split between the Sabres and the Alumni. It would create a new revenue stream for the franchise which is never a bad thing.

If Ramsey's sweater goes up, guys like Andreychuk should get consideration, too. The 80's were the decade of one and outs. No numbers should be retired from then.

Personally, I think Patty's number being retired is a little questionable. He put up most of his numbers as an Islander, and it hasn't been retired there. I think the retirement gesture by the Sabres had more to do making up for the way he was let go by the Sabres. The Sabres need a "Wall of Fame" for guys like him. And Bowman. And probably Ruff, and certainly the Knox brothers.

Oh, I also hate to compare across sports. No football player, not even Jim Brown, has singlehandedly won games the way Hasek did. That's more a statement about the difference, in the games, not the players. But, that said, Hasek's sweater should indeed go up the season after he retires...

If Ramsey's sweater goes up, guys like Andreychuk should get consideration, too. The 80's were the decade of one and outs. No numbers should be retired from then.

Personally, I think Patty's number being retired is a little questionable. He put up most of his numbers as an Islander, and it hasn't been retired there. I think the retirement gesture by the Sabres had more to do making up for the way he was let go by the Sabres. The Sabres need a "Wall of Fame" for guys like him. And Bowman. And probably Ruff, and certainly the Knox brothers.

Oh, I also hate to compare across sports. No football player, not even Jim Brown, has singlehandedly won games the way Hasek did. That's more a statement about the difference, in the games, not the players. But, that said, Hasek's sweater should indeed go up the season after he retires...

I agree with this sentiment. Only players that were at the absolute top should have their #'s retired and I definitely don't think Gare should be there. He absolutely should be in the Sabres HoF and he is. He was an excellent player and from all indications a very good guy, unfortunately I don't think he belongs in the rafters. Gare never was head and shoulders better than the players around him, and I think a player needs to be one of the truly best players in the game in order to have his # retired. Gare isn't even in the NHL HoF, how does he get his # retired? Because his # is in the rafters, the Sabres will retire other #'s that IMO do not belong there.

Due to the short time LaFontaine was a Sabre, I understand the reluctance of some to believe his time as a Sabre warrant sweater retirement. I disagree with this because the only reason his career with the Sabres was brief was due to injuries. The guy was forced to retire due to injuries when he was only 33. He could easily have played another 3 - 4 quality seasons for the Sabres if not for the concussions.

LaFontaine was the best American player EVER. He still was at the top of his game when he was a Sabre (had a career best 148 points and 2 90+ point seasons out of his 6 w/ Buffalo). He was the captain and leader of the team. He was far and away the best non-goalie on the team while he was here. (Mogilny owes a LOT to Patty.)

I would not say that LaFontaine's # going up was a slam dunk / no brainer. I only see 2 no brainers (#11 & #39) and understand why #2 is up there and don't have a problem with the reasoning. With that said, and with Gare's # retired, I don't see any way that LaFontaine's isn't.

Guest Guest

How about we dont retire anybody for atleast another decade.

You dont want to decrease the significnce of a jersey retirement

Amen to that! Hasek is the only person. other than Gilbert that deserves to be up in the rafters...I love Ramsay, Ramsey, Hajt, Gare...the list goes on and on...but there are only two guys that deserve to have their numbers retired.

Archived