[OT] Cable/ISP competition is a good thing

LabattBlue

My TW cable bill(digital cable/DVR/internet) is out of control(approx. $120). I called them up just now and told them I am considering switching to Verizon DSL. Right away they went on the offensive about how DSL is slower, blah, blah, blah... I cut her off in mid-sentence and cut to the chase...

What incentive can you throw my way to keep my internet business? I was put on hold for a couple of minutes and what do you know...Mr. Blue if you stay with the same level of service for 1 year(I'm not switching anyways because FIOS isn't in my area yet) and we can knock down your price by $21 a month.

Moral of the story...Competition is good and it never hurts to ask. :)

Nice!!

I only have my internet through them, switched to Direct TV a year ago, and couldn't be happier...

Ditto that set up for me this last fall as well, cable for internet and Phone and direct TV and got 3 tv's for the price of 2 on cable with NHL network and center ice...... Haven't watched this much hockey since my days in bflo and HNIC east and west coverage...

My TW cable bill(digital cable/DVR/internet) is out of control(approx. $120). I called them up just now and told them I am considering switching to Verizon DSL. Right away they went on the offensive about how DSL is slower, blah, blah, blah... I cut her off in mid-sentence and cut to the chase...

What incentive can you throw my way to keep my internet business? I was put on hold for a couple of minutes and what do you know...Mr. Blue if you stay with the same level of service for 1 year(I'm not switching anyways because FIOS isn't in my area yet) and we can knock down your price by $21 a month.

Moral of the story...Competition is good and it never hurts to ask. :)

I just did this with TW also, but they gave me a 2-year thing, dropping my monthly costs by about $23. There's a 2-month trial, where I can cancel for free....but a termination fee of $150 (pro-rated over the remaining 22 months).

My initial call was because of my bill. I have two DVRs (one of them is HD) and they had a charge for a third. What they're doing is giving me the first DVR with my bundled service, charging me for the HD DVR, but then charging me $8.95 a month per DVR for the ability to record. Huh?? Isn't that the point of the DVR???? The guy claimed that Tivo does this, too.

I'm going to look into Verizon's TV & phone services...it looks like a Verizon phone/TV bundle plus my TW Road Runner will be less than my existing TW bundle altogether.

I just looked at my bill and I was shocked.. Haven't paid much attention until this. DirectTV is starting to really roll out the charges

50.99 for Service

4.99 Leased Receiver

4.99 Leased Receiver

4.99 Leased Reveiver.. This one is a HD-DVR

9.99 HD Channels... I still think this is an enormous rip-off... And they still have the nads to ask $100 more to watch the NFL Package in HD...

and then this one

4.99 Early Renewal Center Ice.... Hmm... WTF is that for????

Total:

80 bucks a month just for what I consider basic cable....

I just did this with TW also, but they gave me a 2-year thing, dropping my monthly costs by about $23. There's a 2-month trial, where I can cancel for free....but a termination fee of $150 (pro-rated over the remaining 22 months).

My initial call was because of my bill. I have two DVRs (one of them is HD) and they had a charge for a third. What they're doing is giving me the first DVR with my bundled service, charging me for the HD DVR, but then charging me $8.95 a month per DVR for the ability to record. Huh?? Isn't that the point of the DVR???? The guy claimed that Tivo does this, too.

I'm going to look into Verizon's TV & phone services...it looks like a Verizon phone/TV bundle plus my TW Road Runner will be less than my existing TW bundle altogether.

I just went through this and found out what I think is TW sabotage.

I have TW for cable and internet, another company for phone (which I should just drop since I cell everything). The phone started malfunctioning, always going directly to voicemail. As it turns out the phone modem, using TW internet, gets 'jacked' all the time by TW sending new firewall crap and the phone switches itself to 'do not disturb' constantly. So my phone never rings, but you can call me. Nice real nice. They were biting this morning...

Where I live, there is no competition. Especially in my apartment complex. We got one choice (other than satellite) for cable and internet. It's them or nothing. Verizon FiOS has been pretty much locked for a long ass time where I live too. I think they're having trouble breaking through the monopoly. And, it's definitely not for lack of a subscriber base or rich people. Not that my cable company is that bad since I know for sure there are worse. Comcast is one. Sounds like TW is another. But I'm still a prayin for that FiOS.

Where I live, there is no competition. Especially in my apartment complex. We got one choice (other than satellite) for cable and internet. It's them or nothing. Verizon FiOS has been pretty much locked for a long ass time where I live too. I think they're having trouble breaking through the monopoly. And, it's definitely not for lack of a subscriber base or rich people. Not that my cable company is that bad since I know for sure there are worse. Comcast is one. Sounds like TW is another. But I'm still a prayin for that FiOS.

What I heard about FIOS is that Verizon isn't saying when or where it will be available. Their marketing is this way because they don't want TW/Comcast/whoever to have time to work their numbers to be able to compete with the price. So, FIOS suddenly becomes available in your neighborhood so you can call TW and drop the bomb that they never saw coming.

Archived