Sabres need to do better in Portland as deadline approaches

wildcat48

Sabres need to do better in Portland as deadline approaches

March 3, 2009

Portland, ME ? The natives are getting restless with the Portland Pirates and some of the blame has to be placed squarely on the shoulders of the Pirates? NHL parent club, the Buffalo Sabres.

The Pirates are heading into the final full month of the regular season and while they?d like be making a strong push up the standings, they?ve been a sinking ship for the better part of two months and the playoffs are no longer a sure a thing as they might have looked at the beginning of the season.

Read the rest of this entry ?

I enjoy the fact you post these articles concerning our farm team. They are very informative and keeps us all in the loop.

That said, this article is in grave need of "spell-check". Also, I think Darcy has enough on his plate in regards to the Sabres woes and will not be looking to help Portland out come Wednesday. The idea that Paetsch or Teppo should be playing and Butler should be sent back down (correct me if I'm misunderstanding the author, it was tough to read) is quite selfish and completely unrealistic. Sorry, but this story made me laugh. It may be a legitimate complaint in terms of guys being called up throughout the year, but isn't that the nature of the business??

Again, thanks for keeping us in the loop with our farm team, it's greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I guess the sabres are at fault for 4 goaltenders in the organization getting hurt at the same time.

Even if you're coung Lalime's flu as an injury, that's still only 3 goalies from the organization on the injured list (Miller, Lalime, Dennis) at any point. Other than Enroth and Dennis, no other goalie who has played down there was under contract with the Sabres.

You also ignored the main point of the story. The lack of defensive depth is the major concern. They can only play shorthanded so long, especially with the brutal schedule mentioned. Yes, to throw all blame at the Sabres is a mistake, but they could help more than they have.

Even if you're coung Lalime's flu as an injury, that's still only 3 goalies from the organization on the injured list (Miller, Lalime, Dennis) at any point. Other than Enroth and Dennis, no other goalie who has played down there was under contract with the Sabres.

You also ignored the main point of the story. The lack of defensive depth is the major concern. They can only play shorthanded so long, especially with the brutal schedule mentioned. Yes, to throw all blame at the Sabres is a mistake, but they could help more than they have.

Regardless of if they were under contract with the Sabres, DeCaro was signed and got hurt. I guess that doesn't count?

Only 3 goalies on the injured list....lol. Well it was three out of the 4 goalies between Buffalo/Portland.

I only read the post and it said nothing about Defensive depth. ANY minor league team is at the mercy of the parent club when

injuries occur at the NHL level. Unfortunately the Sabres had a rash of injuries all at the same time.

Regardless of if they were under contract with the Sabres, DeCaro was signed and got hurt. I guess that doesn't count?

Only 3 goalies on the injured list....lol. Well it was three out of the 4 goalies between Buffalo/Portland.

I only read the post and it said nothing about Defensive depth. ANY minor league team is at the mercy of the parent club when

injuries occur at the NHL level. Unfortunately the Sabres had a rash of injuries all at the same time.

So you commented on a linked article without actually reading the article? Do I really need to point out the flaws in that approach?

Does this come as a surprise to you? :o

The situation sucks. There really aren't too many ways around it. They could go out and pick up a few bargain basement guys, but really, does that accomplish all that much? Then again, they may like the trial by fire method their prospects are currently going through.

I have traded messages with Wildcat and I told him it was coming. Dennis has been hurt for a long time and the Sabres had ample opportunity to replace him with a veteran who could be up backing up Lalime right now. This organization is constantly pinching pennies and afraid to make any hard decisions. Max has been healthy for 10 days but activating him would have necessitated a move they weren't prepared to make.

Larry blamed everything down in Rochester on Donner. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Of course fans will be upset. They want to win. But Portland to be angry with Buffalo? This isn't anywhere close to what happened in Rochester. Sabres had a top prospect goalie and Dennis in Portland. Dennis got hurt. Portland got DeCaro. A solid ECHL goalie. Who would have expected Miller to get hurt and 20-year old Enroth to get called up? If you think the Sabres were WISHING their 20-year old would be a backup in March in the NHL, then keep smoking the pipe.

Sabres added a bunch of vets. Portland has faced a lot of injuries and call-ups due to injuries in Buffalo. It happens. It hasn't been a normal season for either side thats for sure and i'm sure as we go into the future, Sabres will spend the same type of money on Portland and do nothing different and there will be no problem. The injuries just really added up. There really is no need to be signing guys to deals to fill-in. Portland, if anything, should be signing guys to 10 day deals or whatever that package is. It's not the Sabres responsibility. Portland is our developmental team. They develop our talent. Their win/loss shouldn't really keep Regier up at night.

I have traded messages with Wildcat and I told him it was coming. Dennis has been hurt for a long time and the Sabres had ample opportunity to replace him with a veteran who could be up backing up Lalime right now. This organization is constantly pinching pennies and afraid to make any hard decisions. Max has been healthy for 10 days but activating him would have necessitated a move they weren't prepared to make.

Larry blamed everything down in Rochester on Donner. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Name me one veteran that would have accepted a contract that makes him a BACKUP in the AHL? Nobody was taking that job. And besides, DeCaro is probably better then any of the veteran backups that would have accepted to be a backup in the AHL.

Name me one veteran that would have accepted a contract that makes him a BACKUP in the AHL? Nobody was taking that job. And besides, DeCaro is probably better then any of the veteran backups that would have accepted to be a backup in the AHL.

The minute Dennis went down they should have traded for a vet like Saborin or any number of third string goalies that they could have then run through waivers and placed in Portland. Its what winning organizations do, make sure they have adequate depth in the organization.

So you commented on a linked article without actually reading the article? Do I really need to point out the flaws in that approach?

I commented on what he had posted on here. I didnt know it was my obligation to click on every link someone posts. And FYI, I can

comment on anything I choose and could give a rodents behind if you think its flawed or not.

The minute Dennis went down they should have traded for a vet like Saborin or any number of third string goalies that they could have then run through waivers and placed in Portland. Its what winning organizations do, make sure they have adequate depth in the organization.

It's interesting that everyone is turning to the goalie situation immediately. If you read the article, it does not make a single mentioning of the goalies though. It's all about the defensemen.

I commented on what he had posted on here. I didnt know it was my obligation to click on every link someone posts. And FYI, I can

comment on anything I choose and could give a rodents behind if you think its flawed or not.

So do you go to sites like the Buffalo news and read the little intros and then assume you know the whole story? I bet you've read a ton of forewards too and now feel completely qualified to analyze novels and textbooks. Yeah, you can say whatever you want, but it makes you look like a fool. I'm sorry you don't have 5 minutes to spare to read his story. It's not like he has been posting these articles throughout the season, making it look like a legitimate source to turn for info on the :chris: .

Just out of curiousity, what in the posted intro to his article made you go to the goalies right away. I don't see anything in wildcat's post that pointed to the goalies. Hell, the letter "g" barely even appears in it.

And start Saborin ahead of Jhonas Enroth? Um, no thanks!

So do you go to sites like the Buffalo news and read the little intros and then assume you know the whole story? I bet you've read a ton of forewards too and now feel completely qualified to analyze novels and textbooks. Yeah, you can say whatever you want, but it makes you look like a fool. I'm sorry you don't have 5 minutes to spare to read his story. It's not like he has been posting these articles throughout the season, making it look like a legitimate source to turn for info on the :chris: .

Anzaloha having a bad day. First over at The Stadium Wall and now over here.

It's no different than Anaheim bringing in Jani Hurme in 05-06 for Portland when they ran into goaltending troubles... It cost the Ducks 900k to have him in Portland. Even last year, the Ducks took at stab at J-S Aubin and Sebastien Caron. Both were meaningless trades to the NHL club other than to provide depth, but it benefited the AHL club in the process.

In comparison to use defensemen... Once you get past the first couple of d-man in Portland there is nothing. The cupboard is bare.... VERY bare.

It's no different than Anaheim bringing in Jani Hurme in 05-06 for Portland when they ran into goaltending troubles... It cost the Ducks 900k to have him in Portland. Even last year, the Ducks took at stab at J-S Aubin and Sebastien Caron. Both were meaningless trades to the NHL club other than to provide depth, but it benefited the AHL club in the process.

In comparison to use defensemen... Once you get past the first couple of d-man in Portland there is nothing. The cupboard is bare.... VERY bare.

I forget, but who was the starting goalie at the time in Portland? Did their Backup get hurt, and then his replacement? Sabres have Enroth and are working on deals to get a backup to Buffalo. Trust me, Sabres don't want a 20 year old sitting. If you think they are happy with it, then like i said, get off the pipe. But at the same time, Sabres won't rush to anything. And maybe they had an offer to get a goalie like idk Saborin (just throwing out a name) but wanted to wait a bit longer, and maybe even get Marty Biron? People in Portland are upset about the waiting, while I'M very happy.

As for defensmen. Who knew Butler would be ready his first year? Who knew Weber would be in and out of the lineup with injuries? Who knew Mike Funk and Mike Card would miss to much time? I mean, come on. What are Sabres supposed to do? They are not the NY Yankees of the NHL. People just like to whine. Portland fans got spoiled due to a quick start and got unlucky because they face injuries at the same time Buffalo did and Butler came up and looked great. There's no point of signing vets to fill-in in Portland mid-season, guys that almost nobody wants, and hope they do well, pay them a decent salary and them have NO hope to help the Sabres.

"Developmental" team..... that is the key word.

And start Saborin ahead of Jhonas Enroth? Um, no thanks!

Considering Enroth is 20 years old and in his first AHL season, having a proven AHL backup step in for Dennis would have been nice so that they could have avoided playing him in 10 straight games. At least give the kid a break or have him split time with a replacement.

I think that this issue was never an issue in Rochester because of its proximity to Buffalo. Whenever the Sabres had injury troubles it was ok to bring up players at the expense of the Amerks because Amerks fans also were Sabres fans, for the most part. So essentially, Amerks fans would still be watching good AHL players at the NHL level. Now Portland has stepped in as the minor league franchise and, if I had to guess, the majority of their fans probably could care less about the Sabres because they're nowhere near Buffalo. So when they see their team start to suffer because the Sabres are having injuries, I would say that it's a fair complaint given their apathy toward the Sabres. The fact is, the team used to be a consistent winner and now has slumped because their best players have been replaced with scrubs from lower leagues.

I forget, but who was the starting goalie at the time in Portland? Did their Backup get hurt, and then his replacement? Sabres have Enroth and are working on deals to get a backup to Buffalo. Trust me, Sabres don't want a 20 year old sitting. If you think they are happy with it, then like i said, get off the pipe. But at the same time, Sabres won't rush to anything. And maybe they had an offer to get a goalie like idk Saborin (just throwing out a name) but wanted to wait a bit longer, and maybe even get Marty Biron? People in Portland are upset about the waiting, while I'M very happy.

As for defensmen. Who knew Butler would be ready his first year? Who knew Weber would be in and out of the lineup with injuries? Who knew Mike Funk and Mike Card would miss to much time? I mean, come on. What are Sabres supposed to do? They are not the NY Yankees of the NHL. People just like to whine. Portland fans got spoiled due to a quick start and got unlucky because they face injuries at the same time Buffalo did and Butler came up and looked great. There's no point of signing vets to fill-in in Portland mid-season, guys that almost nobody wants, and hope they do well, pay them a decent salary and them have NO hope to help the Sabres.

"Developmental" team..... that is the key word.

a) Sabres expected Butler up this year

b) Funk and Card haven't made it to 60 games yet in their career

c) Enroth struggled under the wait of the work while the Sabres "thought" about it

d) No one is talking about anything that would have cost more then $500K. The Sabres made a commitment to Portland and like they have in the past, they are coming up short.

a) Sabres expected Butler up this year

b) Funk and Card haven't made it to 60 games yet in their career

c) Enroth struggled under the wait of the work while the Sabres "thought" about it

d) No one is talking about anything that would have cost more then $500K. The Sabres made a commitment to Portland and like they have in the past, they are coming up short.

Sabres expected a kid right out of college to be in the NHL on a full time basis? Come on, you don't truly believe that, do you?

Sabres filled their squad right. They just hit the injury bug and it's cost both the Sabres and the Pirates.

Sabres expected a kid right out of college to be in the NHL on a full time basis? Come on, you don't truly believe that, do you?

Sabres filled their squad right. They just hit the injury bug and it's cost both the Sabres and the Pirates.

They've been quick to call up Gerbe. What's the difference between him and Butler? Oh right, Butler's a year older. Couple that with the fact that he was the most NHL ready out of that group of 3. It isn't crazy to think that they expected an impact from him this season.

Archived