Curious Suspension

wjag

I didn't see the play. The only reason I know about it was because he was knocked out of my fantasy line-up. From Yahoo:

"Feb 16 The National Hockey League has suspended Plekanec for two games without pay for tripping a player from behind during a game. In the second period of Wednesday's game against Edmonton, Plekanac took down Oilers defenseman Denis Grebeshkov from behind, resulting in an injury to the Edmonton player."

Since when is tripping a player, clean or dirty, a suspendable offense? I understand the player got hurt, but still, guys get tripped all the time. Some maliciously.. A two game suspension, without pay, seems extreme to me...

What do you folks think?

I didn't see the play. The only reason I know about it was because he was knocked out of my fantasy line-up. From Yahoo:

"Feb 16 The National Hockey League has suspended Plekanec for two games without pay for tripping a player from behind during a game. In the second period of Wednesday's game against Edmonton, Plekanac took down Oilers defenseman Denis Grebeshkov from behind, resulting in an injury to the Edmonton player."

Since when is tripping a player, clean or dirty, a suspendable offense? I understand the player got hurt, but still, guys get tripped all the time. Some maliciously.. A two game suspension seems extreme to me...

What do you folks think?

Haven't seen the play, but to me it sounds like the NHL is just being the NHL.

If a trip is a two-game suspension, then how come Chris Neil is still being allowed to play at all!?!

You sure they weren't playing the Pens, and Crosby was the victim of that trip perhaps breaking a nail?

Haven't seen the play, but to me it sounds like the NHL is just being the NHL.

If a trip is a two-game suspension, then how come Chris Neil is still being allowed to play at all!?!

You sure they weren't playing the Pens, and Crosby was the victim of that trip perhaps breaking a nail?

They were both racing for the puck and it was clearly a dangerous play that resulted in injury. He's lucky he only got two games.

here's staples' take on the incident (sorry, no video).

but puck daddy did link us to video from a 2-15 game which suggests that the habs' euros and russians may have perfected this dirty art.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NEgsMqW3SI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NEgsMqW3SI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

if nothing else, you have to love the mic'd up drunk-mo.

I guess I just don't see that as any worse that getting a vicious face plant into the boards/glass. Yeah he tripped him hard, but there are actions in the game that are a lot worse than that. If he wasn't injured, maybe there wouldn't be any mention of this. Might be the difference between the two plays.

If he wasn't injured, maybe there wouldn't be any mention of this. Might be the difference between the two plays.

imo, that's an existing logic in the league that needs to be eradicated, and quick.

if headshots and slew-foots are dangerous, and they are, then they should be addressed by a clearly-written, uniform, and objective set of rules and penalties.

I guess I just don't see that as any worse that getting a vicious face plant into the boards/glass. Yeah he tripped him hard, but there are actions in the game that are a lot worse than that. If he wasn't injured, maybe there wouldn't be any mention of this. Might be the difference between the two plays.

Slew footing has always been a big issue that the league has gone after. You don't really hear about it too often, probably because it is something they actually enforce strictly.

The thing about a slew foot is that you put the player on his @ss with his skates heading straight into the boards. with little that the player can do to stop himself. Hitting the boards blades first with any momentum has such a high chance of an ankle injury, including a potentially season-ending broken ankle. It's as bad as those hits from behind into the boards when two players are going hard after a puck (in other words, not just a hard hit into the boards, but one where the hit player has a lot of momentum and can do nothing to protect himself from hitting the boards hard), which is also a suspendable offense.

The thing about a slew foot is that you put the player on his @ss with his skates heading straight into the boards. with little that the player can do to stop himself. Hitting the boards blades first with any momentum has such a high chance of an ankle injury, including a potentially season-ending broken ankle. It's as bad as those hits from behind into the boards when two players are going hard after a puck (in other words, not just a hard hit into the boards, but one where the hit player has a lot of momentum and can do nothing to protect himself from hitting the boards hard), which is also a suspendable offense.

After reading this, I went in search of a definition on what a slew foot really is. I found this site which made it pretty clear to me:

Oy Vey! The pictures actually demonstrate the how pretty clearly.

After reading this, I went in search of a definition on what a slew foot really is. I found this site which made it pretty clear to me:

Oy Vey! The pictures actually demonstrate the how pretty clearly.

Didn't even think about the concussion part, since a lot of the really bad ones occur while going into the boards. That is definitely another big risk. Basically, it sends you flying in a way that leaves you completely helpless and exposed to several different serious injuries. It's no good.

Didn't even think about the concussion part, since a lot of the really bad ones occur while going into the boards. That is definitely another big risk. Basically, it sends you flying in a way that leaves you completely helpless and exposed to several different serious injuries. It's no good.

The league protecting against head injuries? Yeah right. I've always thought of it as you mentioned earlier, the broken ankles and legs. Those are the most important parts of the body to a hockey player and are far more likely to be protected.

Archived