Max and Hecht +/-

Spudz

I know usually +/- isn't the best way to evaluate a player, but I think it really highlights how much of a turnover liability these two are this year.

Hecht -10

Max -14

I also think having them off the ice is one of the biggest reasons they've been +.500 lately. This is extremely disappointing because Hecht was supposed to be our center to step up. I really hope they trade for a center soon, and not just a rent a player. This would also be for Connolly insurance.

I also think having them off the ice is one of the biggest reasons they've been +.500 lately. This is extremely disappointing because Hecht was supposed to be our center to step up. I really hope they trade for a center soon, and not just a rent a player. This would also be for Connolly insurance.

Hecht should never play center again for the Sabres. Max should never play again for the Sabres, period.

I'm not sure if the Sabres have been better because those two aren't in the lineup or if those players +/- suffered as they have only been healthy when the Sabres were sucking. Either way, I have no desire to see either player anytime soon.

I'd agree that Max should be gone and Hecht should be a winger, but we're a better team with Hecht in the lineup than we are with, say, Paille or MacArthur. Hecht has struggled much of the season but I thought he was starting to turn it around in the 5-6 games or so before he got hurt.

I'd agree that Max should be gone and Hecht should be a winger, but we're a better team with Hecht in the lineup than we are with, say, Paille or MacArthur. Hecht has struggled much of the season but I thought he was starting to turn it around in the 5-6 games or so before he got hurt.

Agreed. Also, Pommer has had trouble finishing as of late, otherwise the Hecht-Roy-Pommer line would all have a better +/- than they do. They've been creating a lot, but Jason hasn't been able to capitalize on several occasions. Even last night, with a different left winger, he missed some chances to bury it. Hecht was playing better after going back to the wing; not quite up to previous years' standards, but better. If Jason can snap out of his funk, this team will have two very dangerous lines.

At this point I don't know if I'd rather have Hecht than MacArthur. Both have have very similar stats on their last 10.

Agreed. Also, Pommer has had trouble finishing as of late, otherwise the Hecht-Roy-Pommer line would all have a better +/- than they do. They've been creating a lot, but Jason hasn't been able to capitalize on several occasions. Even last night, with a different left winger, he missed some chances to bury it. Hecht was playing better after going back to the wing; not quite up to previous years' standards, but better. If Jason can snap out of his funk, this team will have two very dangerous lines.

I see that Agreed and raise you one. I also was starting to see more of the hecht of old in the last few games.

The thing I noticed, the injury was supposed to be his hand but what I was seeing is more than just his puck handling / finishing plays at the net. He often appeared slower, more often out of position, and indecisive/bad decision making, not just bad passes or shots. Had me wondering if there were other health issues besides the hand.

The thing I noticed, the injury was supposed to be his hand but what I was seeing is more than just his puck handling / finishing plays at the net. He often appeared slower, more often out of position, and indecisive/bad decision making, not just bad passes or shots. Had me wondering if there were other health issues besides the hand.

It's possible. Lindy plays his cards pretty close on injuries, especially for guys in the lineup. He didn't reveal that Roy started the season injured (groin and a couple of other things) until after he was healthy and back to producing over a point-per-game. Likewise, he didn't reveal that Stafford started last season coming off of having mono in the offseason, which along with some injuries, kept him from getting going like he should have. Hopefully, some of Hecht's other issues get cleared up while he's out now.

Hecht's poor play, all year, has been somewhat alarming. He should be a defensive, third line winger, not a second line center as we had to use him most of this year. I would play MacArthur over Hecht right now. And Pommer? Wow, what a decline in productivity! On the plus side, Stafford is growing into the power forward role, and Connolly's return has been a lift to the whole team. "The Skill", indeed...

And Pommer? Wow, what a decline in productivity!

While Pominville's goal scoring appears to be going down even from last years total of 27, if he continues at this pace, his final numbers would be...

19 goals 46 assists 65 points. 15 points below last year, but right about on par(total points) from the year before.

I expect more from Pominville(between 25-35 goals and 70-80 points a year), but having to play with Jochen Hecht as your center for the better part of the last two years is hurting his offensive totals.

What I am most interesting in seeing is how the "younger" core(Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Gaustad & Miller) perform in the playoffs for the first time without Drury and Briere.

I expect more from Pominville(between 25-35 goals and 70-80 points a year), but having to play with Jochen Hecht as your center for the better part of the last two years is hurting his offensive totals.

But, he had a career high in points and assists last year ...

He's lost his touch a little this year. Last night, he could easily have had a hat trick with the setups that he got from Roy and others. If he started finishing the way that he used to, he'd be right on pace with last year. Players have off years and it's not always easy to explain. However, we've seen the skill (with both Pommer and Hecht), so there is a good chance of a return to form (not guaranteed, but a high likelihood.)

Last night, he could easily have had a hat trick with the setups that he got from Roy and others.

Even though Pogge gave up 5 last night; he really played an excellent game. Pommers and Stafford probably could have had hat tricks against someone else.

Archived