Gragnani called up...

wildcat48

So will they actually play him or will Paetsch stay in the lineup? Now I know they usually want the kids playing, but Paetsch has to be better than someone, right?

Uh ... both. They had six, including Paetch, before Tallinder got hurt. Sekera won't be back until later in the West Coast trip, at the earliest.

Rivet, Lydman, Spacek, Butler, Paetsch, Gragnani

Uh ... both. They had six, including Paetch, before Tallinder got hurt. Sekera won't be back until later in the West Coast trip, at the earliest.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my..

That is not a playoffs defense... Next few games could be very rocky..

Rivet, Lydman, Spacek, Butler, Paetsch & Gragnani

Again...sounds like another f'd up law firm.

Injured?

Lindy has to be grateful for the arrival of Butler and his steady play.

Subtract him from the law firm lineup above and what would we have.

The system has aided this team quite well in recent years.

Butler this year.

Sekera & Weber last year.

Campbell, Pominville, Roy, Max & Gaustad. Miss anyone.

Somebody is doing their job right. (I know they should have talent coming through the system, but credit is due here)

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my..

That is not a playoffs defense... Next few games could be very rocky..

When healthy there are questions about this defense.

I have to wonder. Would they play Paestch as the #6 defenseman for the rest of the season if need be? I would find it hard to believe that a cheap upgrade couldn't be found.

When healthy there are questions about this defense.

I have to wonder. Would they play Paestch as the #6 defenseman for the rest of the season if need be? I would find it hard to believe that a cheap upgrade couldn't be found.

Paetsch is currently the #8 defensemen (when everyone in Buffalo is healthy), so we would have to have two season-ending injuries. Even then, I would bet that Weber would get the call when he gets back from his knee surgery. I could also see them making an addition to get some depth back. Paetsch has been relegated to temporary duty only.

Call me crazy, but having 3 hungry d-men in the line-up may turn out to be a good thing. I don't know what the deal is with Paetsch the las year and a half, but we have seen him capable of more. I just think that this change in the D-mix could bring something good along with it.

That said, I'm still a bit frightened about how it works on the roadie - we are playing very physical or very fast teams each night, sometimes both.

Call me crazy, but having 3 hungry d-men in the line-up may turn out to be a good thing. I don't know what the deal is with Paetsch the las year and a half, but we have seen him capable of more. I just think that this change in the D-mix could bring something good along with it.

Butler looked very solid in the third pairing, but seemed to struggle (as expected) a bit with more minutes and matched against better lines. Not a bad game, but not as strong as he was in the lower role. Will certainly come with time, but I worry if he's ready yet.

Paetsch can fill in on the third pair, but hasn't shown that he's capable of playing any higher than that yet.

Gragnani hasn't played a single game in the NHL on defense and, while his defense has supposedly improved, he was moved off the AHL blueline last year due to his poor defensive play.

It's good to infuse the occasional hungry kid, as we were doing with Butler before, but infusing three who haven't shown that they are capable of top-four play yet is concerning. Getting Sekera back would/will help a lot, as he has that experience.

Butler looked very solid in the third pairing, but seemed to struggle (as expected) a bit with more minutes and matched against better lines. Not a bad game, but not as strong as he was in the lower role. Will certainly come with time, but I worry if he's ready yet.

He struggled a bit once Teppo was out. Hmmmm....

Not really. He's just not very good.

That seems to be his last year and a half, I just think he seemed quite a bit better in the 06-07 season. Regardless of the reasons associated with that, I still think he is capable of more. I do doubt we see that again from him, though, and in that sense see your point.

Paetsch is currently the #8 defensemen (when everyone in Buffalo is healthy), so we would have to have two season-ending injuries. Even then, I would bet that Weber would get the call when he gets back from his knee surgery. I could also see them making an addition to get some depth back. Paetsch has been relegated to temporary duty only.

I concur.

The show must go on....

When Gragnani played in Buffalo last season, i believe he played wing, right? I think he played a shift or so on defense and then in over-time he played defense as well on 4v4. I have only seen a handful of Portland games (2 online, 1 in person) and Gragnani does seem improved. But looking at his stats, last year he was a minus-machine. Each game, he was like -2. At some point last season he was like minus- 34 or something. He improved last year and post-Jan 1st he was one of the best AHL players last season.

I hope he's giving time on the power play as well. Let's see what this guy has.

lol...hah

i can't wait to see how the "law firm" does against Ethan Moreau, Dustin Penner and company. The Oil plays very physical at home -- and will bang these kids around. Rivet is going to have to play sheriff...again...

Again...sounds like another f'd up law firm.

Injured?

Lindy has to be grateful for the arrival of Butler and his steady play.

Subtract him from the law firm lineup above and what would we have.

The system has aided this team quite well in recent years.

Butler this year.

Sekera & Weber last year.

Campbell, Pominville, Roy, Max & Gaustad. Miss anyone.

Somebody is doing their job right. (I know they should have talent coming through the system, but credit is due here)

The show must go on....

When Gragnani played in Buffalo last season, i believe he played wing, right? I think he played a shift or so on defense and then in over-time he played defense as well on 4v4. I have only seen a handful of Portland games (2 online, 1 in person) and Gragnani does seem improved. But looking at his stats, last year he was a minus-machine. Each game, he was like -2. At some point last season he was like minus- 34 or something. He improved last year and post-Jan 1st he was one of the best AHL players last season.

I hope he's giving time on the power play as well. Let's see what this guy has.

Last year his huge minus figure was accumulated on defense. He turned his season around when he was moved to wing. This year he has played exclusively on defense and does seem improved.

As for the game up here, I am pretty sure he didn't play defense till overtime. I don't think he played more then two or three shifts during regulation and all of those were upfront.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move before he plays a shift up here.

Last year his huge minus figure was accumulated on defense. He turned his season around when he was moved to wing. This year he has played exclusively on defense and does seem improved.

As for the game up here, I am pretty sure he didn't play defense till overtime. I don't think he played more then two or three shifts during regulation and all of those were upfront.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move before he plays a shift up here.

Is there a trade freeze during the All-Star break? I am hoping they have a deal in place and are just waiting to announce. They can not afford to go into West Coast swing short handed.

Is there a trade freeze during the All-Star break? I am hoping they have a deal in place and are just waiting to announce. They can not afford to go into West Coast swing short handed.

I don't think they will make a move. Darcy Regier never makes any kind of moves based on desperation. He doesn't get scared away. And you gotta think, maybe deals when you're desperate is the worst times. While the team needs the extra help, the team can't afford to get fleeced on a deal. Deals take a while to come alive, it doesn't happen over night. I don't think Sabres will make a move until our defense is some what healthy again.

I don't think they will make a move. Darcy Regier never makes any kind of moves based on desperation. He doesn't get scared away. And you gotta think, maybe deals when you're desperate is the worst times. While the team needs the extra help, the team can't afford to get fleeced on a deal. Deals take a while to come alive, it doesn't happen over night. I don't think Sabres will make a move until our defense is some what healthy again.

Is it possible to get fleeced on a deal for a sixth/seventh defenseman? There has to be a warm body available for a draft pick that they can plug in. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster trade. Just a healthy blue liner with NHL experience.

Darcy would rather have the team lose 10 games in a row before he has to make a trade based on desperation.

Archived