Dennis Persson...good prospect or bust?

LabattBlue

From www.sabresprospects.com(which oh by the way is a GREAT site for those interested in tracking the progress of Sabres draft picks)...

Dennis Persson dressed but did not see the ice in Timra's 3-2 win over Lulea.

How do you dress, but don't play a single shift? I believe Persson signed a contract in the offseason, but chose to stay overseas(much like Gogulla) and now for the second year in a row he is being jerked around in terms of ice time. Either he is not developing as a player and therefore seeing little ice time or something else is going on.

Persson and Gogulla need to get their over here next season, learn to ride the buses in the AHL and allow the Sabres to find out if they can play.

That is a good site..thanks for that. That is a good question, how can he not even go out for a single shift? Especially since on the 18th, two days earlier, it said he was even for his 17+ minutes of play. So he played 17 minutes one night and two days later, doesnt play at all?

From www.sabresprospects.com(which oh by the way is a GREAT site for those interested in tracking the progress of Sabres draft picks)...

Dennis Persson dressed but did not see the ice in Timra's 3-2 win over Lulea.

How do you dress, but don't play a single shift? I believe Persson signed a contract in the offseason, but chose to stay overseas(much like Gogulla) and now for the second year in a row he is being jerked around in terms of ice time. Either he is not developing as a player and therefore seeing little ice time or something else is going on.

Persson and Gogulla need to get their over here next season, learn to ride the buses in the AHL and allow the Sabres to find out if they can play.

Someone else can probably answer this for sure, but I believe it is not uncommon in Europe for players to dress and not play. If I am not mistaken teams can dress more and usually dress a seventh defensemen.

That being said I believe that he is a bust and has been pretty much written off. It is my opinion that the only reason he has a contract is that a team is required to make an offer of the max rookie deal in order to try and recoup a pick assuming the player turns the offer down. The Sabres have made it no secret that they want Gogulla here. I have not heard the same on Persson.

Someone else can probably answer this for sure, but I believe it is not uncommon in Europe for players to dress and not play. If I am not mistaken teams can dress more and usually dress a seventh defensemen.

Side note: I've often wondered why the NHL does do something like this. Let's say that they allow teams to dress 23 players. Then, both teams could carry an enforcer without using up a spot on a line. They probably rarely see the ice, but it would be like the MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine; neither side would get to out of hand because the threat would be there. Also, if you suffer an injury or want to bench a player due to their play, you don't have to play with a short bench. The guys are being paid to sit in the press box anyway, why not give them better seats to watch the game?

Back to the discussion at hand: if either of them ever wants to see the NHL, they need to get over to this side of the ice. They are going to go directly from their home leagues into the NHL, even if they have a good camp.

Bust. When i was a a bit younger and had more time on my hands, i'd do anything to follow Sabres hockey. When Persson was drafted, i used to post on a forum for his Swedish club Djurgarden. I actually met several people and still keep in contact with one of them via e-mail which is cool. Anyways, they were never high on Persson. Actually, they never understood why Buffalo picked him. Some claim it was a ploy by his agents and stuff who send out BS info about him and Persson impressed in training before the draft, so scouts thought that BS info had to been true. Here are some messages from people on the DIF web site.

To be honest. He barely makes it being a Swedish Elitserien player. No doubt he will definitly fail in the NHL

What i've seen this year, no I don't think so. Me and some friends, even said that he may be the worst defensemen in Djurg?rdens IF history!

Romours says that he will be lended from Buffalo to Timr? IK the next season. I think that he isn't an A-squad material. Rather something for AHL...(If even that)

If Dennis get to play one single game for the Sabres, it otta be when every other D is injured. Honestly, I can not understand why they even bothered to show interest of him in the first place.

He's not a man for the SHL, and he didn't dominate or anything like that in Allsvenskan either, so... No, don't have any high expectations, cuz you'll most likely be disappointed if you do.

All those quotes were from last season though but as you said from Sabresprospects.com, he hasn't done anything this year either.

Bust. When i was a a bit younger and had more time on my hands, i'd do anything to follow Sabres hockey. When Persson was drafted, i used to post on a forum for his Swedish club Djurgarden. I actually met several people and still keep in contact with one of them via e-mail which is cool. Anyways, they were never high on Persson. Actually, they never understood why Buffalo picked him. Some claim it was a ploy by his agents and stuff who send out BS info about him and Persson impressed in training before the draft, so scouts thought that BS info had to been true. Here are some messages from people on the DIF web site.

All those quotes were from last season though but as you said from Sabresprospects.com, he hasn't done anything this year either.

Sound like some of the quotes here about TV last year.

That is a great site, thanks! :thumbsup:

What exactly were the Sabres expecting out of Persson? He isn't that big. Based on his stats he has limited offensive ability. This is his profile at hockeysfuture.com:

History

2005-06: Dennis Persson has come off a season playing both men's and junior's hockey with V?ster?s. He scored impressive 26 points in 28 games in the juniors and added two assists in 19 games in the Swedish second tier league. During the U18 WJC Persson was the most consistent Swedish defenseman, scoring a goal and 5 assists in 6 games.

Talent Analysis

When he was drafted in the first round two years ago, Persson was billed as a smooth skating, offensive defenseman. He has suffered from a great deal of inconsistency and has not improved with the competition. While his natural ability has not disappeared, he has not lived up to his draft day reputation as a smart, playmaking defenseman.

Future

Persson recently signed a three year, entry-level contract, and plans to continue playing in Europe next season (2008-09). His career has stalled, and he needs to take the next step forward.

Archived