What would you give up for C Andy McDonald of the Blues...

LabattBlue

I'm bored...

I am posting this today knowing that McDonald is available for "viewing" tomorrow night. He is going to be a UFA after this year and I doubt the Sabres can re-sign him at between 4-5 mil knowing how much they already have tied up in the forward ranks(Vanek, Roy, Pominville). He is on the small side, but can score(see Anaheim in 05-06 and 06-07) and is a very good faceoff man. If Connolly stays healthy(which is a long shot), TC can move to wing and McDonald centers one of the top 2 lines. line. If Connolly "disappears" again, McDonald fills the bill.

So knowing more than likely that he would be a rental, what would you give up(it won't be cheap). I'm going to take a few prospects out of the equation(Gerbe, Kennedy, Enroth). Everybody else in the AHL, juniors or college is fair game along with all draft picks(I'm not sure how much draft picks would help St. Louis at this point), and except for the core of the Sabres(Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Rivet, Miller & Sekera) the rest of the roster is in play.

Since St. Louis is rebuilding, I don't know how much interest they would have in our pending UFA's(Connolly, Kotalik & Max), so they are probably out, as it wouldn't make sense for them to trade one UFA for another. I'm not talking about a deadline deal. I mean lets make a deal tomorrow!

So....

Tallinder & MacArthur for McDonald

Stafford for McDonald

Stafford for McDonald and a pick

MacArthur & (Butler or Weber) for McDonald

Blue you are nuts, you are not even in the ballpark? Something else???

Please try not to overvalue our beloved Sabres when thinking about a fair return.

McDonald stats...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2175/c...fcDZkoa.plivLYF

I'd say anyone with a minus 17 plus/minus last year and a minus 7 already this year won't be on a "newly defensive" Sabre team.

You're nuts. :thumbsup: (not that I know your nuts personally)

his +/- was "+" on a great team and "-" on a bad team. No surprise there. ;)

You really think a player like Stafford has the same value as MacArthur and Tallinder? because i don't.

But i would give them Stafford + a pick... I wouldn't give them Tallinder, it's not like were rich in depth on the defensive side.

You have to factor in contract status(remaining years) + FA status. I'm not saying all the proposals were equal from a Sabres perspective.

I've been on the Andy McDonald bandwagon for a few years, especially since last year when the Blues traded for him and just gave up Doug Weight in a salary cap dump after Niedermeyer decided to return. I'd love to have McDonald here in Buffalo as we need a second line center to play with Pominville and Hecht. I'd be willing to offer:

Tallinder and Stafford for McDonald and 2nd round pick

Tallinder and Max for McDonald and a 2nd round pick

Stafford and MacArthur for McDonald

So, the first question people will ask is are the Blues willing to take our junk for their leading scorer? Personally, I don't think our guys are junk players especially considering they need depth on the blueline and we are offering young talent in Stafford and or MacArthur, which is something they could use. Of the three thrown out, I think the most realistic trade would be the first one, but again, I don't see the Blues making a deal or the Sabres giving up so quickly on a young first round draft choice like Stafford. But, I agree Blue, I'd love to have McDonald centering the second line with Hecht and Pominville and have Connolly on the third line with Max and MacArthur.

Scenario:

Okay, Sabres within 5 points of leading the East at deadline,

Tallinder, Max (obviously) & Stafford and a draft pick in some sort of combination.

In return: McKee and McDonald.

with Paestch in the closet, I would say Spacek, but they wouldnt want an old bag like that. If Sekera markets himself well, he could be hot like Stafford last year.

(this is a giggle post, I am not an Andy fan per se)

You have to factor in contract status(remaining years) + FA status. I'm not saying all the proposals were equal from a Sabres perspective.

both Stafford and MacArthur are RFA's after this season. MacArthur makes just over 500k, Stafford makes almost a mil...

There's a business saying something like "everything is for sale".

Dont you remember last year when Stafford was mentioned in about every Sabres deal, and was "off the table"? How bout now?

If we trade Sekera, it'd be in a package for a Jay Bouwmeester or a Marian Gaborik aka it ain't happening. I know that there isn't an "untouchable" list but Sekera won't be dealt just to add a part, it'd be to add a star. I don't see the Sabres doing a deal like that though.

You really think a player like Stafford has the same value as MacArthur and Tallinder? because i don't.

But i would give them Stafford + a pick... I wouldn't give them Tallinder, it's not like were rich in depth on the defensive side.

Stafford and MacArthur have similar value's. MacArthur is playing nice but it's not like he's a premier power forward in the league right now. Stafford has loads of potential, even more then MacArthur, and has been struggling. He's very young and even this season has shown what kind of potential he has. He's inconsistent thats for sure. MacArthur was last year though, i'm glad we didn't quit on him.

If we trade Sekera, it'd be in a package for a Jay Bouwmeester or a Marian Gaborik aka it ain't happening. I know that there isn't an "untouchable" list but Sekera won't be dealt just to add a part, it'd be to add a star. I don't see the Sabres doing a deal like that though.

I agree. My original point is that Sekera has come from nowhere in this league, and by the end of the season he is going to be worth something to someone as a puck-moving defensemen/power play point man. His ice minutes alone this year reflect alot, and he hasnt been that bad at all.

I dont think Stafford is geared to be a productive two-way forward, if he is; he is not doing a very good job. If he is geared to be a point producer, he is struggling at that too. I feel the General is playing alot more responsible and seeing alot more of the ice this year.

I dont think Stafford is geared to be a productive two-way forward, if he is; he is not doing a very good job. If he is geared to be a point producer, he is struggling at that too. I feel the General is playing alot more responsible and seeing alot more of the ice this year.

How about reuniting Drew with his former teammate Crosby? Them seemed to have some chemistry. Move Max along to the Caps so he and OV can play together. Call up Gerbe and Kennedy or Mancari...life would be good.

Archived