Ellis Claimed - Well LA wanted to

wildcat48

Kings G.M. upset over the loss of Ellis

Portland, ME ? It looks like Los Angeles General Manager Dean Lombardi is calling foul after Matt Ellis, who was placed on waivers by the Buffalo Sabres, cleared and was assigned to the Portland Pirates. For Ellis, it seemed he was bound for the minors at some point of season for one team in the AHL.

Link>>>>

So does Ellis not have to go on re-entry waivers if the Sabres need to recall him since he is on a 2 way contract? Or is his Sabres career done since I'm sure the Kings will try to resign him next season?

Anyone who has to clear waivers to be sent to the minors also has to clear re-entry waivers to be called back up. So yes, Ellis would have to go on re-entry waivers. It has nothing to do with him having a 2-way deal.

edit: Also, is there any chance that we could edit the actual title of this thread? Mods?

Anyone who has to clear waivers to be sent to the minors also has to clear re-entry waivers to be called back up. So yes, Ellis would have to go on re-entry waivers. It has nothing to do with him having a 2-way deal.

I think you are right that he does have to clear re-entry waivers, but not everyone does:

To the extent the Player does require Waivers to be Loaned to a minor league affiliate, he cannot be Loaned or recalled without first clearing regular Waivers, and then cannot be Recalled to the NHL parent Club during the same League Year without also clearing a new Re-Entry Waiver procedure, pursuant to which the Player can be claimed by another NHL Club for fifty (50) percent of the contract's remaining amounts to be paid, with the balance to be paid by and charged to the waiving NHL Club (both amounts to be counted against each Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and counted against the Players' Share)

The Re-Entry Waiver procedure will not, however, be applicable to Veteran Minor League Players defined as follows: (i) for goaltenders, Players who have: (A) played in 180 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL and ECHL), and (B) not spent more than 80 NHL games on NHL roster over the prior two (2) seasons or more than 40 NHL games on NHL roster in the immediately prior season; and (ii) for defensemen and forwards, Players who have: (A) played in 320 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL and ECHL), and (B) not spent more than 80 NHL games on NHL roster over the prior two (2) seasons or more than 40 NHL games on NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

Matt Ellis has played 430 total games in North America (NHL, AHL and ECHL) and only played 70 NHL games over the last two season (2006-07, 2007-08.) However, he did play 54 NHL games last season (2007-08.) So, while he meets (A), he fails to meet (B) and, thus, must clear re-entry waivers ... I think.

So then Ellis has played his final game with the Sabres since the Kings will pick him up and make the Sabres pay half his salary; and there's no way Darcy would let that happen.

If I am reading it right, then he has likely played his last game as a Sabres this season. Next year, he will meet all of the requirements as a Veteran Minor League Player. He already has the 320 games played, he'd have only played 61 NHL over the preceding two seasons (54 in 2007-08 and 7 this season) and he'd have only played 7 games in the season prior (this season.) I'm not sure, but from the following:

For a Player on an AHL contract with a Minor League Salary and compensation that could be earned in excess of the applicable amount set forth above in this Section 50.9(g), who signs an NHL SPC for the same season with the AHL team's NHL affiliated Club, the Player must first clear the new Re-EntryWaiver procedure, pursuant to which the Player can be claimed by another unaffiliated NHL team for fifty (50) percent of the SPC's remaining amounts to be paid, with the balance to be paid by and charged to the original NHL affiliated Club signing the contract (both amounts to be counted against each Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary, and Averaged Club Salary and counted against the Players' Share).

it sounds like he could sign an AHL contract with Portland, then (if needed) a SPC with Buffalo and, due to his VML status, would not have to clear re-entry waivers.

Note: I am no attorney and hate legalese, so all of this is coming out of my :censored: .

Ellis would not need re-entry waivers if he was recalled by the Sabres. The reason being is that he is on a two-way deal, which is key.

Re-entry waivers was really only intended for players on one-way contracts and veterans on two-way contracts who make more than 105k at the AHL level -- that amount goes up every year.

Ellis makes 100k, which is average for player who could face the potential of being recalled during the season. In fact, he wouldn't need to pass through waivers again unless he played in 10 NHL games or is on the Sabres roster for more than 30 days.

Each time I go to the main page, I see "Ellis claimed" in the recent discussions section. I guess that is separate from the name change that was made here, because that recently added "-Well LA wanted to" doesn't show up.

I did just add that after you made the request...

Archived