Mair facing suspension

carpandean

I actually think Neil's comments in the newspaper are more ridiculous than what Mair did. What a stupid comment about Mair being upset with his "paycheque". I am pretty sure he is quite well off compared to most people, as I am also sure that Neil is not exactly one of the NHL's big earners. Maybe he has his eye on the summer already when he is an UFA...?

Actually, Mair is pretty low paid:

Mair - $750 thousand

Neil - $1.2 million

Ruutu - $1.3 million

Hey, dummy! He's Italian!

That cracked me up! :lol:

Actually, Mair is pretty low paid:

Mair - $750 thousand

Neil - $1.2 million

Ruutu - $1.3 million

That cracked me up! :lol:

Right, I knew that those players were paid more than Mair, but I was saying that in the grand scheme of NHL salaries, none of these guys are pushing the player maximum.

Looks like the ruling came down, a small $2,500 fine for Mair. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=254116&amp...os=topStory_nhl

Does anyone else remember that Matt Barnaby and Eric Cairns actually fought in a hallway a few years ago after being kicked out of a game? The result was Cairns receiving 4 games and Barnaby getting 5 games. And that was an actual fight where punches were thrown, not a yelling match. You have to figure Mair, if suspended at all, would get 1-2 games at the most, especially since he was the aggressor in the situation.

Link to news article:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C0A9669C8B63

Link to interesting excerpt from NY Islanders book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=a8ENz6yzo...result#PPA90,M1

I actually think Neil's comments in the newspaper are more ridiculous than what Mair did. What a stupid comment about Mair being upset with his "paycheque". I am pretty sure he is quite well off compared to most people, as I am also sure that Neil is not exactly one of the NHL's big earners. Maybe he has his eye on the summer already when he is an UFA...?

Actually, the quote came across to me as Neil was saying that Mair doesn't particularily care whether he gets paid or not as he just threw a portion of his next paycheck away. Which, in fact, Mair did as his wallet was lightened by $2,500.

Neil wasn't making fun of Mair for making so little. ?Neil was saying that Mair must not like getting a paycheck, because he keeps doing things that get himself suspended (where he wont get paid) over altercations with Neil.

I think that this just confirms two things: 1) The sabres were dead tired and had already lost the game before the teams even took the ice. 2) There are members of this team that are so passionate that even though they lost they still wanted to fight. The sabres may lose Mair for a game or two, but I'm sure that a bunch of younger guys (i.e. stafford, macarthur, sekera) looked at a teammate still ready to fight after getting his ass whooped. The vets also had to be pleased as one of their own was sticking up for them. On top of all that, you've got hecht, gaustad and connolly waiting to come off of injury and potentially play tomorrow. I know this will rub off well on them too. We may lose mair for a game, but i guarentee you that he did more for a victory tomorrow night than a hat trick against the lightning would ever do. The Sabres won't be tired tomorrow, and they'll absolutely destroy the lightning. Look for it folks, its going down tomorrow. And you can take that as a preview for the next ottawa game, cause there's going to be loads of whoopass opened that night.

You've made me aroused. I'll be at the game Thursday and guaranteed to have no voice Friday.

From the article that TW posted about Goose:

When asked what he was trying to communicate to the Senators, he said, "We don't play those guys until January, so I wanted to wish them a Happy Halloween."

What did they say back?

"I think they said Merry Christmas."

The Buffalo News' John Vogl asked if Mair was trying to talk to Chris Neil or Jaarko Ruutu?

"It's Halloween for everybody, John."

:lol:

Mair did a piss poor job of displaying "veteran leadership". The Sabres should followup any league suspension with an additional suspension of their own. You add this to Peters fighting style, Kaleta's turtling and this teams toughness leaves a lot to be desired. This team needs to learn how to take of issues on the ice. What Mair did is embarrassing.

It appears even Barnaby agrees.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23337

Rich (Buffalo NY): First off I see that you're not pictured in your sabres jersey, what gives? I was wondering what your thoughts are now of Kaleta- do you think he's the best agitator that we've had in Buffalo since your time, and what are your thoughts on his future in the NHL. Also do you like the fact that the trainers gave him your old number because they felt he has the same craziness as you?

Matthew Barnaby: I'm not pictured in my Sabres jersey because I look 12 and I'm full of zits. I think Kaleta is one of the best agitators in the game. I think he will play a long time, but would like to see him defend himself a little more. I love that he wears my number and he's a great kid.

...and whats with MSG. I'm sick of hearing how great it is. I've never attended a game there but have been in it and seen it. Is it really that special or just center of the universe NY attitude?

ST JOHN (NYC):: Out of the 8 teams you played for, what home arena did you enjoy the most?

Matthew Barnaby: I only played for seven. But I loved playing in Madison Square Garden.

...and whats with MSG. I'm sick of hearing how great it is. I've never attended a game there but have been in it and seen it. Is it really that special or just center of the universe NY attitude?

ST JOHN (NYC):: Out of the 8 teams you played for, what home arena did you enjoy the most?

Matthew Barnaby: I only played for seven. But I loved playing in Madison Square Garden.

Notice that the question is from someone in NYC and he doesn't actually say that he liked playing at MSG the most (it's only implied); he just said that he loved playing there. I don't know how much of a politician Barnaby is, but that's a classic technique for avoiding a question without sounding like you are.

Mair did a piss poor job of displaying "veteran leadership". The Sabres should followup any league suspension with an additional suspension of their own. You add this to Peters fighting style, Kaleta's turtling and this teams toughness leaves a lot to be desired. This team needs to learn how to take of issues on the ice. What Mair did is embarrassing.

I don't know if they should follow it up with their own suspension... while it was totally out of line his intentions were good to stick up for his buddy and teammate... he just did it really the wrong way. And in defense of Peters fighting style... atleast as of late it looks like he's decided to man up and actually face the person he's fighting and what do you know hes hitting them too... Just hopefully he keeps this up and doesnt revert to bending away and blindly throwing and falling. Then i'd whole heartedly agree with you.

Archived