Happy 58th birthday to The Man

BetweenThePipes00

One of my earliest hockey memories was waiting for Gil to get no. 500, and then clipping and keeping the article and photo of him on the player's shoulders after reaching that milestone.

HBD, #11! :beer:

• 5 weeks later...
One of my earliest hockey memories was waiting for Gil to get no. 500

with assists to foligno and ... was it hajt?

the guy was part of a cadre of players who were ahead of their time, athletically and otherwise. when i watch old clips of gilbert going end to end, i can't help but notice how poorly a lot of other players in the league skated, compared with how most players can move today. there are a lot of good to very good players from the 70s and even 80s who, in their prime, would probably be a step or two too slow for today's game; gilbert, on the other hand, would still be able to dangle and amaze.

with assists to foligno and ... was it hajt?

the guy was part of a cadre of players who were ahead of their time, athletically and otherwise. when i watch old clips of gilbert going end to end, i can't help but notice how poorly a lot of other players in the league skated, compared with how most players can move today. there are a lot of good to very good players from the 70s and even 80s who, in their prime, would probably be a step or two too slow for today's game; gilbert, on the other hand, would still be able to dangle and amaze.

And how bad did the goalies look? Most look like Redd Foxx staggering around on Sanford and Son.

58? I have denture paste that old.

Everyone would be on the edge of their seats when #11 went behind his net to pickup the puck. I still feel bad for him and the rest of the team that they could never build on that season of 74-75 in terms of playoff success.

Was it Jerry (King Kong) Korab who said "I would give the puck to Bert behind the net, watch him go end to end and score, I got an assist and a +1!"

Was it Jerry (King Kong) Korab who said "I would give the puck to Bert behind the net, watch him go end to end and score, I got an assist and a +1!"

It was Larry Carriere ... at least that is always who I have read it credited to (that's horrible grammar) ... it's always been my sig ...

Archived