Connolly has hairline fracture in a vertebra

nobody

What would be the worst thing to happen to us is if Timmy gets sent packing to another team, and then he outshines everyone by means of a different change of scenery.

Not the first time it's happened either.

Unless that other team has some sort of advanced alien medical technology that can keep him from breaking down, I'm not too worried about that happening.

It's not Tim Connolly's fault that his body is breaking down on him and not letting him play. I don't think you can make statements like he isn't trying or it's his fault for getting hurt. It's not his fault for getting hurt just like it's not Teppo's fault for having congenital heart trouble. It is what it is. Also, I think some here seem to think Connolly might just be a hypochondriac, but I'm not one of those people as I think his injuries are genuinely legitimate.

BUT, there's no doubt that the front office and Darcy/Larry are clearly at fault for re-signing Connolly in 2006. How can you re-sign a guy to a 3 year deal at $2.9 million/year against the cap when you know this player has just had his second major concussion within 2 years. You knew you were taking a risk when you signed him to that deal. I will say this over and over again as I have said many times on this message board. It was a bad decision to sign him, especially when you could have had J.P. Dumont for the exact same cap hit if you accept his arbitration award and not sign Tim Connolly to an extension. Tim Connolly is the one and only reason why J.P. Dumont no longer plays for the Sabres. Some will blame Briere or others, but the fact of the matter is J.P. Dumont was awarded $2.9 million in arbitration and the only player on the Sabres that has a $2.9 million cap hit is Tim Connolly. Tim Connolly should never have been re-signed in 2006. I was against it then and I'm against it now. I never imagined that his injury woes would be so bad that he's basically been rendered useless to the Sabres roster, but I was skeptical of his head injuries then.

But, what can you do when his dad and Larry Quinn are high school buddies? I guess it pays to know people in high places. In fact, I can almost guarantee that Connolly will be extended after this offseason to a deal far below what he's making now i.e. $1-$2 million/year just because his dad and Quinn are buddies. Personally, I'd be okay with keeping Connolly if he's getting paid the veteran minimum next year since you never know when he'll play. Just my take.

But, what can you do when his dad and Larry Quinn are high school buddies? I guess it pays to know people in high places. In fact, I can almost guarantee that Connolly will be extended after this offseason to a deal far below what he's making now i.e. $1-$2 million/year just because his dad and Quinn are buddies. Personally, I'd be okay with keeping Connolly if he's getting paid the veteran minimum next year since you never know when he'll play. Just my take.

What's the requirement to be one of those special UFAs that can have incentive-laden contracts like Peca did when he first signed with Columbus?

Good post. I think I agree with everything, although I think he was consistently good, with moments of real greatness, in 05-06. To me, actually, the fact that he got his act together after years of underachieving is a compelling part of the story. As you point out, most of us wish that we had worked harder when we were younger. Well, he realized that he needed to step up at what was still a pretty young age (24), came to camp in 2005 in great shape, and made himself into a really good player. Unfortunately, just when he was about to step up to star status, his body let him down. Now it seems that his body will never stand up to NHL rigors.

One more point on your post: it's one thing to say that we should've gotten rid of him. It's quite another to find someone to take a $3.5 million problem off your hands. Bottom line is that they took a calculated risk by re-signing him in 2006 -- at a price far below, because of the concussion, what a star center would generally have cost -- and got burned. It's too bad for everyone, but that's how it goes sometimes. It would have been great if it had worked out.

Finally, I will state for the record that I completely disagree with DeLuca's statement that Timmy should "man up" and either retire or play. Ridiculous. It's not like he got hurt riding a motorcycle or dancing with the stars. He got hurt playing, and then he got hurt getting ready to play. He wants to play. He's busting his butt trying to get ready to play. That's the deal that the players made with the owners -- in those circumstances, the player is 100% entitled to get paid. Would anyone here decline to accept disability payments from his/her employer if he/she got hurt on the job?

If I am right about the CBA, they could have bought him and Max out for one third of their salary( instead of two thirds because of their ages), sign one player for a $4.5 million spent less money and filled the remaining roster spot with a kid.

What's the requirement to be one of those special UFAs that can have incentive-laden contracts like Peca did when he first signed with Columbus?

I could be completely wrong on this, but I believe you must be over 35, and you can only have that type of contract once in your career. Shanahan had one last year and can never have an incentive-laden contract ever again. I also think it must be a one year deal if it has incentives. I'd let Taro give the correct answer, though.

If I am right about the CBA, they could have bought him and Max out for one third of their salary( instead of two thirds because of their ages), sign one player for a $4.5 million spent less money and filled the remaining roster spot with a kid.

Good point (if correct about the 1/3). So they (maybe) could've bought them out for $2 million total and used the other $4 million for a good $3.25 million player and a $750K kid. I think (but am not sure) that they still would have had to eat the cap hit though. Also, it doesn't make sense if the buyout is $4 million and not $2 million.

Any capologists out there with an answer?

Injuries are going to be a part of Timmy professional life. He is never going to be healthy and he either needs to learn to play through the pain or quit.

You have no idea. I work with a lady who's son played with Timmy in Syracuse and the erie otters. I guess when he played then he was injury prone, specifically concussions.

I love the way the guy can play, but if you can take a hit, your in the wrong game. Sorry Timmy.

You have no idea. I work with a lady who's son played with Timmy in Syracuse and the erie otters. I guess when he played then he was injury prone, specifically concussions.

I love the way the guy can play, but if you can take a hit, your in the wrong game. Sorry Timmy.

I can't guarantee it's going to snow in Buffalo this winter either. Like Timmy's health I feel there is enough of an established history that I am completely comfortable in saying that while Connolly continues to be a professional hockey player he will be dogged by injuries.

Good post. I think I agree with everything, although I think he was consistently good, with moments of real greatness, in 05-06. To me, actually, the fact that he got his act together after years of underachieving is a compelling part of the story. As you point out, most of us wish that we had worked harder when we were younger. Well, he realized that he needed to step up at what was still a pretty young age (24), came to camp in 2005 in great shape, and made himself into a really good player. Unfortunately, just when he was about to step up to star status, his body let him down. Now it seems that his body will never stand up to NHL rigors.

One more point on your post: it's one thing to say that we should've gotten rid of him. It's quite another to find someone to take a $3.5 million problem off your hands. Bottom line is that they took a calculated risk by re-signing him in 2006 -- at a price far below, because of the concussion, what a star center would generally have cost -- and got burned. It's too bad for everyone, but that's how it goes sometimes. It would have been great if it had worked out.

Finally, I will state for the record that I completely disagree with DeLuca's statement that Timmy should "man up" and either retire or play. Ridiculous. It's not like he got hurt riding a motorcycle or dancing with the stars. He got hurt playing, and then he got hurt getting ready to play. He wants to play. He's busting his butt trying to get ready to play. That's the deal that the players made with the owners -- in those circumstances, the player is 100% entitled to get paid. Would anyone here decline to accept disability payments from his/her employer if he/she got hurt on the job?

Except for a handful of games when has Connolly ever been a "star center"?

Except for a handful of games when has Connolly ever been a "star center"?

Well, I did say that he was consistently good with moments of greatness in 05-06, and that he was about to step up to star level. Obviously people are free to disagree, but that is where I think he was when Schaefer nailed him. I think Lindy would agree.

Archived