Tallinder/ Lydman may be split up

tom webster

Ruff says Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder's days as a pair may be over. He wants to keep Andrej Sekera on the right side as he'll pair with Jaroslav Spacek. Lydman will be with newly acquired Craig Rivet while Tallinder gets Teppo Numminen. Ruff said defenseman Mike Weber and Nathan Paetsch will play in most of the exhibition games as they fight for a spot on the big club

Ruff says Toni Lydman and Henrik Tallinder's days as a pair may be over. He wants to keep Andrej Sekera on the right side as he'll pair with Jaroslav Spacek. Lydman will be with newly acquired Craig Rivet while Tallinder gets Teppo Numminen. Ruff said defenseman Mike Weber and Nathan Paetsch will play in most of the exhibition games as they fight for a spot on the big club

Per WGR.

My take: Sekera's stock is up, while Tallinder's is in the dumper. I'd expect Rivet-Lydman to emerge as the top pair, followed by Spacek-Sekera and then Teppo-Tallinder.

However, I'd also expect there not to be more than 5 min per game difference between top pair and bottom pair.

I think it makes sense. That's basically what you saw in the Boston game. Tallinder played with Teppo, Spacek played with Sekera, and Lydman played Weber. So, instead of Weber, you substitute with Rivet. Makes sense since Rivet, Teppo, and Sekera all play the right side. Looks like Lydman can play both the right and the left side, so he just has to adjust and be the third guy on the left side. I think what you'll see is that Spacek-Sekera become the offensive duo that will play a lot on the power play together, and I imagine Rivet will play the solo point on the 4 man forward unit. And then Rivet-Lydman become the shutdown pair against every team's top line, which I'm comfortable with. Hank and Teppo play a solid 17-19 minutes/game. I'm good with that.

My take: Sekera's stock is up, while Tallinder's is in the dumper. I'd expect Rivet-Lydman to emerge as the top pair, followed by Spacek-Sekera and then Teppo-Tallinder.

However, I'd also expect there not to be more than 5 min per game difference between top pair and bottom pair.

Interesting take. We know that the Lydman-Tallinder pair wasn't so hot in 07-08 as they were in 06-07. A lot of people here thought Lydman's game was dropping, but maybe it had more to do with Tallinder? My opinion, though, is that it has everything to do with who happens to be a more comfortable fit playing on what side as opposed to whose stock is rising/falling.

boom boom boom boom boom

I will continue to beat the drum for Mike Weber. I'm glad to hear he is going to get his time. The best thing for this team is to have Weber in the top 6 and Teppo as a spot #7. Sorry Nate I hope you like Portland.

Weber will only stay if he cracks top 6 (doubtful barring trade or injury)

Teppo will be in top 4 of minutes played

Nate's number 7 regardless of who makes top 6

I will be surprised if Jaro isn't part of trade packeage this year.

Agreed on your first three. Not sure about Jaro being traded, though. Haven't really thought about it much.

boom boom boom boom boom

I will continue to beat the drum for Mike Weber. I'm glad to hear he is going to get his time. The best thing for this team is to have Weber in the top 6 and Teppo as a spot #7. Sorry Nate I hope you like Portland.

I think we need to reprise Weber-Sekera and see if that season ending pairing was for real or a mirage...

boom boom boom boom boom

It's not a bad drum to be beating, but Paetsch can't be sent down without clearing waivers, which means he won't be sent down. Someone would certainly claim him. Darcy isn't interested in that outcome.

I definitely agree with #1 and #3. I hope you're right about #2 (and I think it's possible), because if true it will mean that Teppo is playing very well -- and if he is, this will be a very big boost to the team.

As for Jaro being traded, I can see it happening, but it's pretty iffy. It makes sense to get something for him this year as opposed to losing him for nothing after the season. OTOH, he's a good veteran defenseman -- not the kind of player a team looking to make a playoff run unloads at the deadline (or otherwise during the year). At least of 2 of Weber, Butler and Paetsch would need to be showing a lot in order for this to happen, AND Teppo would have to be playing well, AND Sekera would have to not be sophomore-slumping. But still, it's possible.

Archived