Yahoo's Sabres Preview

Two or less

Sorry for posting two Sabres previews in one day, esspicially from the same site. I just figured Sabres/hockey talk was slow last few days and it may give us something to talk about. lol. And i really respect Puck Daddy and Ross McKeon and thought both deserved their own thread. lol

In Buffalo, it?s Miller time

The Sabres came sprinting out of the lockout as if they had a better understanding of how the New NHL would work than almost anyone else. Buffalo used speed and skill to frustrate a lot of Eastern opponents, and the Sabres found themselves in the conference finals in consecutive seasons. Who knows? If not for some untimely injuries or a break here and there, Buffalo could have won a Stanley Cup or two in the last three years.

But the identity of the team changed last offseason when the 1-2 punch at center in Daniel Briere and Chris Drury departed for greener pastures, and the team felt forced to trade All-Star defenseman Brian Campbell when it appeared contract negotiations were headed for the same dead end as the recent ex-co-captains.

Buffalo fans are tired of hearing about it, but departures were not adequately replaced and the Sabres not only paid for it with a non-playoff season in the spring but also a questionable outlook for 2008-09.

In an attempt to show its fans and team that Buffalo could and would commit to a young star for the long haul, the club shelled out $25 million for a five-year extension on goalie Ryan Miller?s deal that had one season remaining.

Miller didn?t have a spectacular season ? 2.64 goals-against average, .906 save percentage ? but at age 27 the Michigan State product is viewed as just coming into his prime, and he was a workhorse last year, playing 76 games (including 34 straight after Jan. 21).

His popularity in the Buffalo area, too, represents a personality ? the face of the franchise, if you will ? the Sabres just couldn?t risk losing after the season. Miller should get more opportunity to catch his breath this year, too, because the Sabres signed free-agent veteran Patrick Lalime.

Rest- http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AraX...o&type=lgns

lol

I did. Though his non playoff prediction did piss me off too. :wallbash:

Ho-hum...

I think you'd be better off getting your predictions from The Hockey News or NHL Home Ice. That is their exclusive focus.

Makes me wonder if the prognosticator over at Yahoo! is strictly a hockey guy or if he's a jack-of-all-trades.

Makes me wonder if the prognosticator over at Yahoo! is strictly a hockey guy or if he's a jack-of-all-trades.

He's listed as the NHL Editor, but that could be like the Daily show's running gag of having the same person being the 'Chief Banana Futures Correspondent', 'Chief Gymnastics Apparatus Correspondent, 'Chief Bull-fighting Accident Correspondent', etc..

Archived